Elliot Anderson

Erih Shtrep

10 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
On 20/03/2021 at 08:32, Scumjob said:
Bit harsh, born in England and has spent his whole life there and only qualifies for us via his gran.
Reality is if we want these players then we'll need the full side to cap them from the bench early doors to get them locked in.

I think that's a fair comment, guy probably sees himself as English and wants to play for them...he's now got a sniff but no guarantee he will make the grade.

He’s wasted opportunities for others at u16, 17, and 18 level by turning out for us. 

On 09/01/2021 at 19:27, Erih Shtrep said:

Newcastle Newcastle United tie down hot prospect Elliot Anderson on long-term  contract - Chronicle Live

Just missed a big chance for Newcastle on his debut against Arsenal but they've high hopes for him.  Capped a few times for Scotland at under 16s, 19s, 21s they seem to like him.  https://theathletic.co.uk/2234289/2020/12/05/elliot-anderson-newcastle/

ABSOULTE stick on he is a "Rangers man"

The most staunch face i've seen in a while.

Edited by red23

On 20/03/2021 at 08:32, Scumjob said:

Bit harsh, born in England and has spent his whole life there and only qualifies for us via his gran.

Reality is if we want these players then we'll need the full side to cap them from the bench early doors to get them locked in.

do a Wales you mean?

maybe we should follow their model of naming 2 or 3 youth filler players in the hope they are good.

8 minutes ago, Scumjob said:

Basically. Seems to be working for them to be fair.

The downside is their squad is (or will be) almost entirely english.

i used to do the same in championship manager, get him capped in case he becomes good. Poor morals but i got a few good players committed to Scotland.

Edited by red23

• 7 months later...
On 10/01/2021 at 12:36, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Aye, born and brought up in Scotland, played for Scotland u19s, and went to SFA Performance School. Been out of Scotland for six months and already pledged for Wales by the look of it. Outrageous.

I'd also like to highlight that Scott Banks is also with the latest U21 squad, despite this knicker wetting 10 months ago.

Indeed, not much of a problem with players trying out for different national teams when they are younger (nationality isn't as black and white for most of us).

The most difficult one is someone like Karamoko Dembele who clearly isn't English at all but chose to represent them (unless he was a very patriotic baby, he has no ties to the country). However, if it's going to make him millions more in sponsorship over the long run you can hardly blame him.

Then again, Johanna Konte represents the UK despite being born in Australia to Hungarian parents and only coming to the UK aged 14. I don't even think Sky Brown has ever been to the UK. Athletes are professionals, they follow the money - nationality will only become less important over time.

I would recommend any future footballing star to represent China or India - the sponsorship money would be insane for any elite player.

15 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'd also like to highlight that Scott Banks is also with the latest U21 squad, despite this knicker wetting 10 months ago.

I'd like to highlight that our best young players going to play for other teams is something we should always try and discourage.

And very worth discussing.

• 4 months later...

In the news yesterday that England are looking to get him to switch back after being impressed with him lately and some chief scout having seen him at weekend and being blown away.

From highlights I have seen, he is absolutely ripping it up at Bristol Rovers, but it is only League 2 

The article mentions that  'previously England were relaxed about him playing for us as players are allowed one switch of allegience' now this is either poor journalism or badly worded I would guess? Hasn't he already switched from Scotland to England to Scotland?

In the news yesterday that England are looking to get him to switch back after being impressed with him lately and some chief scout having seen him at weekend and being blown away.
From highlights I have seen, he is absolutely ripping it up at Bristol Rovers, but it is only League 2 
The article mentions that  'previously England were relaxed about him playing for us as players are allowed one switch of allegience' now this is either poor journalism or badly worded I would guess? Hasn't he already switched from Scotland to England to Scotland?
Up to U19 Scotland, U19 England and U21 Scotland. Not sure if the switch rule is only applicable at u21 and elite level?

2 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Sounds like shoddy journalism imo. Hasn’t Scott Banks switched back and forward between us and Wales a couple of times?

Nope. Ol' Pep had a wee moment on here about it when something appeared on the Welsh FA website about them trying to get him but he's only ever played for Scotland and has been in U21 squads since that happened. 

Edited by The Moonster

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Starts for Newcastle tonight. Still no real idea if he's any interest in playing for Scotland but worth a watch until he says otherwise.

Interestingly, I've only just noticed that Harrison Ashby is a Newcastle player.  Turns out he went there from West Ham in January.  For £3m?!