Dundee v Ayr United

Well that was a tougher defeat than Dundee would've wanted but Dundee are still out of the relegation places which is fantastic for the club. Dundee was on such a good run of form before this game so it was inevitably going to end soon. You won't be complaining if you're above 9th come the end of the season and you're still on course to do that!

17 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:
33 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:
Just as an aside, Chalmers was one of the reasons McMullen was so quiet. As Hopkin said in pre match, his job was to support Reading with that. 

To Chalmers credit he helped Reading get up and down the park like a machine last night.

Hopkins done in 2 games what Kerr couldn’t in about 20, find a use for Chalmers. Without being too optimistic too early, I think Saturday and last night has shown Hopkin to be able to utilise this squad better than what Kerr could. The aim will always be to be 8th or above this season, however a win on Saturday puts us only 3 points behind Raith in 3rd (who would have a game in hand). I’m not championing us for a promotion play off run, however a good end to the season under Hopkin, will all of a sudden make as a more attractive team for players for next year and hopefully help get players like McCowan tied down on a longer contract. Similarly a bad result on Saturday has us heading back down the way, but it just shows you the fine margins of this league this season! 

Hopkins done in 2 games what Kerr couldn’t in about 20, find a use for Chalmers. Without being too optimistic too early, I think Saturday and last night has shown Hopkin to be able to utilise this squad better than what Kerr could. The aim will always be to be 8th or above this season, however a win on Saturday puts us only 3 points behind Raith in 3rd (who would have a game in hand). I’m not championing us for a promotion play off run, however a good end to the season under Hopkin, will all of a sudden make as a more attractive team for players for next year and hopefully help get players like McCowan tied down on a longer contract. Similarly a bad result on Saturday has us heading back down the way, but it just shows you the fine margins of this league this season! 
Every place above 8th (that I'd take right now) also guarantees more prize money at the end of the season.

35 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Joe still had plenty of "Joe" moments last night though but if Hopkin can get a tune out of him then it is a pretty damning indictment of Kerr, even more so with McKenzie. The biggest difference is that last night the team looked like they knew what they were supposed to do and they actually bought into the managers plan.

24 minutes ago, wuffster said:

There’s some nonsense being written on this thread. Calm down with the Kerr bashing, at best it is unedifying at worst you come across as desperate for a new daddy who will ultimately disappoint you.

This, Mark Kerr also beat Dundee by two goals. 

I don’t think it’s so much bashing Kerr but it’s hard not to draw comparisons to how we played yesterday and even under White in his two games. My opinion is that the players were perhaps given too many instructions under Kerr whereas Smith spoke about making sure every player just won their individual battle. Nothing complicated but if you go and be better than the man you are competing with then you stand a good chance of winning the game. Similarly with Hopkin last night, he only gave Chalmers and Reading very basic instructions. Stop McMullan and if you get the chance force him back towards his own goal and it worked every single time.

However Kerr did have games where we looked and said he did very well tactically in it. The Ross County cup game and the ICT win last season spring to mind however I don’t remember us being so good going forward in those games. McPake came out and said his team were the only ones playing football when I would say any good footballing moves were played by us. Morton fans criticised Hopkin for the way he set his team up but looking at the quality of his forward players it’s not hard to understand why they were so poor going forward. He doesn’t have that excuse here. He’s got Smith, McCowan, Walsh and now Mark McKenzie so there’s no reason we can’t have a balance between organised, in your face defending and quick, ruthless attacking football like last night.

There’s some nonsense being written on this thread. Calm down with the Kerr bashing, at best it is unedifying at worst you come across as desperate for a new daddy who will ultimately disappoint you.
This post is unedifying tbh. "New daddy who will ultimately disappoint you" is very distasteful and negative about a manger who has already made a postive impact on the squad. There of course is a chance Hopkin will disappoint us but some people seem to have already written him off when there is now reason to be hopeful about the rest of the season. I get that people liked Kerr as a person but he was an absolutely useless manager and is deserving of criticism for his poor team selections, poor tactics and inability to get the best out of his own signings

Kerr is bound to get some negative comments while Hopkin will be lauded today.

This, of course can change as each game progresses.

Kerr, unfortunately, has been judged against his predecessor while Hopkin likewise, and also, his previous managerial position.

I liked Kerr and could see what he was trying to do - it just didn’t work out quick enough for him.

Hopkin, likewise, but is just in the door, and deserves to be given at least the same time as Kerr was afforded.

On another note, still absolutely buzzing after that game last night.
In my eyes, I still see the Dundee teams as a reasonably big scalp no matter what league we play in.

Kerr is bound to get some negative comments while Hopkin will be lauded today.

This, of course can change as each game progresses.

Kerr, unfortunately, has been judged against his predecessor while Hopkin likewise, and also, his previous managerial position.

I liked Kerr and could see what he was trying to do - it just didn’t work out quick enough for him.

Hopkin, likewise, but is just in the door, and deserves to be given at least the same time as Kerr was afforded.

On another note, still absolutely buzzing after that game last night.
In my eyes, I still see the Dundee teams as a reasonably big scalp no matter what league we play in.
Kerr was a brilliant player for us unfortunately he was not ready for management and should have been maybe assistant to someone else but football fans will be fikle and forget the player and only remember the manager

1 hour ago, wuffster said:

The irony of this, after your comments about Hopkin the other day, is absolutely wild. 

Edited by No_Problemo

Just out of interest are Dundee providing you with the highlights or do we need to pay to see them on their website?

22 minutes ago, Iain said:

I read somewhere that this was our first win at Dundee in 30 years, but didn't we pap them out the cup at Dens a couple of seasons back?

First league win at Dens in 40 years, although we've won at least 3 cup matches up there since then. Robert Reilly was one of the scorers in that match. I can remember seeing the result coming through on vidiprinter.

The irony of this, after your comments about Hopkin the other day, is absolutely wild. 
There seems to be a case of some people letting their relationship with Kerr or personal feelings of Kerr as a person affect their judgement of him as a football manager.

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Just out of interest are Dundee providing you with the highlights or do we need to pay to see them on their website?

We don't even have the full highlights yet, just the unedited first half footage. No second half, no highlight package, no post-match interview. I sure hope you're not waiting on us to be useful on this either.