Full back (right & left)

Craigieboy86

15 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

Dearie me, Doig seems to have had a mare today - hooked at half time against Monza. Let's maybe leave that first cap for a bit...

He has had some issues with an ankle injury of late. Hopefully not a reoccurrence and he was hooked on account of having a "mare" as you suggest or worse, a tactical switch.....

2 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

He has had some issues with an ankle injury of late. Hopefully not a reoccurrence and he was hooked on account of having a "mare" as you suggest or worse, a tactical switch.....

I'm maybe being totally unfair on him - it's not like I saw the game - but he got the worst rating of the starting 22 in the report I saw. Hopefully, as you say, it wasn't because of injury.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jives Miguel said:

Dyche is a fanny of a man. Hope he gets away from there. You can tell his confidence has plumtted getting left on the bench for geriatric carthorses.

He was playing really poorly at the start of the season when he was starting every game though. He was first choice at the start of the season, but his unreliability meant that Dyche dropped Patterson and brought Young in at right-back. 

6 hours ago, accies1874 said:

He was playing really poorly at the start of the season when he was starting every game though. He was first choice at the start of the season, but his unreliability meant that Dyche dropped Patterson and brought Young in at right-back. 

Patterson then came in and played well in a win after Young got himself sent off though. 

From what I’ve seen Young is just as rash as Patterson defensively, if not worse - so it’s a strange situation but very Dyche. 

18 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Young has been a walking disaster ever since and never gets dropped 

42 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Young has been a walking disaster ever since and never gets dropped 

He's not been great but I think he's brought more to the table than Patterson. He can cross, is dangerous from set-pieces and is a marginally more reliable defender.

Everton's results have improved since moving Young to RB and bringing in Mykolenko at LB, and while I won't claim that that's because Patterson's been dropped (they've won the two games he's started since then), I think it's unfair to class Dyche as a "fanny" because he's sticking with a defence that has got him results. I also don't think we've seen it have an effect on his confidence as he put in a pretty good performance against West Ham after losing his place then, imo, generally did well against Norway too (though I know others disagree with that). 

19 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

He's not been great but I think he's brought more to the table than Patterson. He can cross, is dangerous from set-pieces and is a marginally more reliable defender.

Everton's results have improved since moving Young to RB and bringing in Mykolenko at LB, and while I won't claim that that's because Patterson's been dropped (they've won the two games he's started since then), I think it's unfair to class Dyche as a "fanny" because he's sticking with a defence that has got him results. I also don't think we've seen it have an effect on his confidence as he put in a pretty good performance against West Ham after losing his place then, imo, generally did well against Norway too (though I know others disagree with that). 

Agree that Patterson has been garbage this season, however that's hardly surprising given he has a manager who clearly doesn't rate him and has bombed him out the team at every opportunity since he's been here. I completely disagree that Young's a better defender, he's singlehandedly lost Everton 2 games in the last month alone. He's a dreadful, rash defender who gives away penalties, fouls and yellow cards for free. If you look at the stats Patterson makes more successful tackles a game, half the number of fouls and gets dribbled past less often. (also has more assists which is funny).

Edited by Jives Miguel

39 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Agree that Patterson has been garbage this season, however that's hardly surprising given he has a manager who clearly doesn't rate him and has bombed him out the team at every opportunity since he's been here. I completely disagree that Young's a better defender, he's singlehandedly lost Everton 2 games in the last month alone. He's a dreadful, rash defender who gives away penalties, fouls and yellow cards for free. If you look at the stats Patterson makes more successful tackles a game, half the number of fouls and gets dribbled past less often. (also has more assists which is funny).

I get you're just defending 'one of our own', but honestly this isn't necessary. Nathan Patterson will have to rise on his own merits which is as it should be. Sean Dyche doesn't have an agenda against him or anything like that and isn't giving Ashley Young a leg up. His job depends on getting results and so he will play who he thinks gives him the best chance of doing that and at the moment it's Ashley Young.

It's up to Nathan Patterson to convince Dyche it should be him when he plays and when he trains and as yet he obviousy hasn't done that. Simple as that.

Edited by 2426255

54 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

For part of the game he was the main  source of our attacks !

19 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I get you're just defending 'one of our own', but honestly this isn't necessary. Nathan Patterson will have to rise on his own merits which is as it should be. Sean Dyche doesn't have an agenda against him or anything like that and isn't giving Ashley Young a leg up. His job depends on getting results and so he will play who he thinks gives him the best chance of doing that and at the moment it's Ashley Young.

It's up to Nathan Patterson to convince Dyche it should be him when he plays and when he trains and as yet he obviousy hasn't done that. Simple as that.

That's not what I'm doing though. I've been as quick as anyone to call Patterson crap:

On 17/11/2023 at 09:56, Jives Miguel said:

Patterson is fairly pish as well tbh. I don't think he's progressed at all in the past 3 years. As a player he's less than the sum of his parts, if that makes sense. He occasionally has flashes of having decent technique, but rarely contributes offensively, gives the ball away a lot and is terrible defensively. 

I'm simply stating that Ashley Young is every bit as bad, and in fact probably worse, than Patterson. A quick glance at twitter confirms that Everton fans agree that he shouldn't be anywhere near the team. I think its fair to question why Patterson seems to be getting judged far more harshly for poor performances than the other 2 boomers Dyche plays there.