P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

19 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

AH13STU beats XCTR94 by checkmate.

Start of Division B life hits hard with a really solid display from AH. Really drawn out middle game abruptly ends and I find myself with only one route to winning with a potential Rook/Queen checkmate dashed when I blundered said rook. WP chief.

Cheers mate. Was quite tight early on before I got pieces moving into attacking positions.

Also AH13STU beat paakman01 in other week 1 game.

Think I need to go back to school.

Paakman01 beats XCTR94 by resignation;

tried to be clever and ended up blundering a rook which spiralled into being picked off cleanly by Paakman.

Time to dig deep!

25 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Think I need to go back to school.

Paakman01 beats XCTR94 by resignation;

tried to be clever and ended up blundering a rook which spiralled into being picked off cleanly by Paakman.

Time to dig deep!

Cheers for the game, it was a very finely balanced contest until the blunder.

Pleslie999 beats markf268 by checkmate

A solid opening for me had my opponent on the backfoot and he unfortunately missed my mate threat. Leaves me 2 from 4 in the league, reckon ot will be a tight league from the games iv played so far. Cheers for the game.

The week 3 Fixtures and League Table for Division A

As ever, the full record of the results is at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XDG_Vg5HNiTYsSumfzhsV3H9K6B8N85fbfmoRsJc4jg/

Division A P W D L Pts
GCarlos9 2 2 0 0 6
Board_Stupid 2 1 1 0 4
Dearyme 1 1 0 0 3
beef2711 2 1 0 1 3
invergowrie 3 1 0 2 3
Purplekangaroo89 2 0 1 1 1
Ziggy_the_Spider 0 0 0 0 0
AimHere 2 0 0 2 0

Round 5
Ziggy_the_Spider vs beef2711
invergowrie vs GCarlos9
Purplekangaroo89 vs AimHere
Board_Stupid vs Dearyme

Round 6
GCarlos9 vs Ziggy_the_Spider
beef2711 vs Purplekangaroo89
Dearyme vs invergowrie
AimHere vs Board_Stupid

Week 3 Fixtures and Table for Division B

Division B P W D L Pts
AH13STU 2 2 0 0 6
Arabjoe 3 2 0 1 6
markf268 3 2 0 1 6
PnBMathematics 3 2 0 1 6
pleslie999 4 2 0 2 6
gkneil 1 1 0 0 3
paakman01 3 1 0 2 3
XCTR94 2 0 0 2 0
N5_Spur 3 0 0 3 0

Round 5
paakman01 vs gkneil
pleslie999 vs N5_Spur
XCTR94 vs markf268
AH13STU vs PnBMathematics

Round 6
Arabjoe vs pleslie999
markf268 vs paakman01
N5_Spur vs AH13STU
PnBMathematics vs XCTR94

Week 3 Table and Fixtures for Division C

Division C P W D L Pts
wastecoatwilly 4 4 0 0 12
The_kid1433 4 3 0 1 9
KenDeans 3 2 0 1 6
Dandies1983 2 1 0 1 3
RBWatson 3 1 0 2 3
Leeds_Saint 1 0 0 1 0
Strachanovski 2 0 0 2 0
mackieboz 3 0 0 3 0

Round 5
Leeds_Saint vs mackieboz
Dandies1983 vs The_kid1433
wastecoatwilly vs RBWatson
Strachanovski vs KenDeans

Round 6
The_kid1433 vs Leeds_Saint
mackieboz vs wastecoatwilly
KenDeans vs Dandies1983
RBWatson vs Strachanovski

Since it's near the halfway mark of the season already, is there anyone in the leagues NOT wanting to be put into the pool for the madwullie cup? Or anyone not in the leagues who wants to join in the Cup competition?

For those new to the format, this is just a straight Scottish Cup-style knockout tournament, using Chess960 (i.e. there are randomized starting positions and castling rules to fit the format, but otherwise is still the same game) and will take 1-5 games depending on when you get knocked out.

In results news, Ziggy_The_Spider beat a blundertastic Division C calibre AimHere, the last move being a mate in one blunder which I sleepwalked into, after deciding on another one!

Analysis suggests I should have won Ziggy's queen a few moves in :(

Ziggy beats AimHere by resignation

Edited by Aim Here

31 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

In results news, Ziggy_The_Spider beat a blundertastic Division C calibre AimHere, the last move being a mate in one blunder which I sleepwalked into, after deciding on another one!

Analysis suggests I should have won Ziggy's queen a few moves in :(

Ziggy beats AimHere by resignation

As usual that was an enjoyable game.

I spent most of it thinking I was 1 move from disaster so I’m not surprised I missed something (probably lots of things)

3 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Since it's near the halfway mark of the season already, is there anyone in the leagues NOT wanting to be put into the pool for the madwullie cup? Or anyone not in the leagues who wants to join in the Cup competition?

For those new to the format, this is just a straight Scottish Cup-style knockout tournament, using Chess960 (i.e. there are randomized starting positions and castling rules to fit the format, but otherwise is still the same game) and will take 1-5 games depending on when you get knocked out.

I don’t want to, 960 hurts my head.

Ziggy_The_Spider defeats Board_stupid by resignation.

Edged out in this one, I couldn't see a way to either stop a pawn promotion or force a draw. I felt I didn't do too much wrong, but in this league you don't need to do much wrong to end up on the losing side.

Well played, Ziggy.

3 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Am in

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

Ziggy_The_Spider defeats Board_stupid by resignation.

Edged out in this one, I couldn't see a way to either stop a pawn promotion or force a draw. I felt I didn't do too much wrong, but in this league you don't need to do much wrong to end up on the losing side.

Well played, Ziggy.

Thanks for the game, yeah there wasn’t much in it. Despite being a pawn up I wasn’t sure if i was winning.

There were a few times I thought I was taking too many risks trying to win.