P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

There’s a chess tournament on P&B?! How long has this been on the go?!

I’d fancy joining once you’re finished the current iteration.

Any of you play 3 min chess on chess.com? That’s my speciality, for when I’m putting the kids to dump or taking a bed. 

On 16/08/2023 at 01:12, Aim Here said:

A 960 position with a queen and rook starting off in the corner, and AH13STU neglected to develop them; they were still trapped in the corner with my queen pointing all sorts of checkmate threats at his king.

AimHere beats AH13STU by resignation

Also… @Aim Here speaks in the third person? Semi final stardom getting to your head, buddy?

23 hours ago, free beer said:

P&B 960 League Cup

Semi Finals

@Curmudgeon vs @free beer ends in a draw.

Blitz replay to be organised in accordance with the rules (Page 318).

The high speed semi final involving comically bad chess from both participants (including at one point advancing a pawn instead of capturing due to fat fingers) results in Curmudgeon advancing to the final through blind luck more than anything else.

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

The high speed semi final involving comically bad chess from both participants (including at one point advancing a pawn instead of capturing due to fat fingers) results in Curmudgeon advancing to the final through blind luck more than anything else.

Well that was my first ever blitz fiasco, and hopefully my last! Good luck to my opponent in the final. 

3 hours ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

I’m a beginner but getting absolutely stepped by people on chess.com who are clearly not being honest about their level. Any advice?

Any good YouTube series to help improve chess as a newbie? Any other tips welcomed.

I'm a bit of a nooby myself so don't know to much about chess but always looking to learn and quite enjoying it.

I have been watching Chess Vibes and GMHikaru who do a level up series. Even in there videos the shoutout other content creators who do it better than them so you could branch of with them too.

Hopefully we will see you in the upcoming series here if your not already a part of it.

Anything else just gives a message.

3 hours ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

I’m a beginner but getting absolutely stepped by people on chess.com who are clearly not being honest about their level. Any advice?

Any good YouTube series to help improve chess as a newbie? Any other tips welcomed.

I’ve been on it for a wee while but only play the 3 min version. Quite difficult to hide your talent level on that, as the action is so quick. Also stops people using those computer chess programs to cheat. But it’s not for everyone 

4 hours ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

I found the lessons on chess.com to be helpful. Reviewing your game analysis can give a good insight into where mistakes were made which also adds to the learning process.

But the best thing you can do is join the chess league on you favourite football themed social media website as it welcomes players of all abilities.

All you need to do is post your chess.com user name. Also applies to @The Other Foot

Just now, Curmudgeon said:

I found the lessons on chess.com to be helpful. Reviewing your game analysis can give a good insight into where mistakes were made which also adds to the learning process.

But the best thing you can do is join the chess league on you favourite football themed social media website as it welcomes players of all abilities.

All you need to do is post your chess.com user name. Also applies to @The Other Foot

Post it here @Curmudgeon? Or is there a separate thread?

32 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Just on this thread. Then, despite your earlier gentle jibe, I'm sure Aim Here will add you in to the league for season 9.

The Other Foot thanks you and Aim Here, and apologises for any gentle jibes re use of the third person.

username: Dustysghost

Edited by The Other Foot

8 hours ago, The Other Foot said:

The Other Foot thanks you and Aim Here, and apologises for any gentle jibes re use of the third person.

username: Dustysghost

Aim Here accepts your apology, and I'll pencil you in for when season 9 happens.

In related news, I'm still waiting on the last few results for Season 8's Division A, which is why I've been delaying the update, and these results do affect the league standings as far as promotion and relegation are concerned.

Division A Table and Outstanding Results

Division A P W D L Pts
DearyMe 21 19 1 1 58
ancientnoise 22 18 1 3 55
AimHere 22 17 1 4 52
The_Curmudgeon 22 16 0 6 48
PurpleKangaroo89 21 10 1 10 31
AH13STU 21 8 2 11 26
invergowrie 22 8 1 13 25
stewartmathers 22 7 2 13 23
AlbinoRov 22 7 1 14 22
beef2711 17 5 1 11 16
PnbMathematics 21 4 1 16 13
Dandies1983 21 2 0 19 6

PnbMathematics vs beef2711
beef2711 vs DearyMe
AH13STU vs beef2711

I can see that all of these games are ongoing on chess.com but they're presumably moving at a glacial pace. Once the placings are finalized, I'll start taking soundings for season 9.

• 2 weeks later...

The P&B 960 Cup

Curmudgeon beats Aimhere by resignation.

As with all our games there wasn't much in this one. I had made a good start and was up a couple of pawns, but any thoughts of carrying that lead through to the end was misplaced as Aimhere came fighting back.

The end game proved decisive as I managed to get a couple of passed pawns which got promoted and started to mop up any resistance.

Thanks to @Aim Here for another great game, and to @ancientnoise for his excellent efforts organising the tournament.

On 12/09/2023 at 00:11, Curmudgeon said:

The P&B 960 Cup

Curmudgeon beats Aimhere by resignation.

As with all our games there wasn't much in this one. I had made a good start and was up a couple of pawns, but any thoughts of carrying that lead through to the end was misplaced as Aimhere came fighting back.

The end game proved decisive as I managed to get a couple of passed pawns which got promoted and started to mop up any resistance.

Thanks to @Aim Here for another great game, and to @ancientnoise for his excellent efforts organising the tournament.

Congrats to @Curmudgeon, winner of the 960 Cup!

https://tinyurl.com/55brecmn

I've been away, last I checked in on the final was move 68 or so, when you had two queens on the board!

Well played sir.

Enjoy your (virtual) prize!

minstrels01.jpg.4b6ca4203d5fafb04ec3a4f8c61ace74.jpg

Division A Season 8 Final Results

Division A P W D L Pts
DearyMe 22 20 1 1 61
ancientnoise 22 18 1 3 55
AimHere 22 17 1 4 52
The_Curmudgeon 22 16 0 6 48
PurpleKangaroo89 22 11 1 10 34
AH13STU 22 9 2 11 29
invergowrie 22 8 1 13 25
stewartmathers 22 7 2 13 23
AlbinoRov 22 7 1 14 22
beef2711 22 5 1 16 16
PnbMathematics 22 5 1 16 16
Dandies1983 22 3 0 19 9

Apologies for taking a bit too long to get round to this, but at long last, here's the final standings for Division A. DearyMe/ @Trogdor is the deserved winner yet again, only dropping 5 points the whole season. We'll have to do better next time! Runner up goes to @ancientnoise.

At the tail end, @Frank Grimes is relegated to Division B, pending any league restructuring, while the playoff spot is a tie between beef2711 and PnbMathematics. The head-to-head results were one win each, so I had to use the Sonneborn-Berger formula which showed that beef2711 is in the playoff spot, and PnBMathematics / @mathematics gets relegated.

That means that there's a playoff between  beef2711 / @Ziggy Sobotka and ArabJoe/ @arab_joe for the right to stay in the top flight next season (league reconstruction permitting).

Thanks to all competitors for an easy-to-run tournament, congratulations to the winners - @Ziggy and @Trogdor and I hope to see you all in the next season.

--

In related news, I'm taking a headcount for Season 9 of the P&B Chess League, which will start in a week or two. Would everyone wanting to join, whether continuing, returning or a new player, please reply in this thread so I know to include you. If I don't have your current chess.com username, please include that.

I'll provisionally mark down @Nutz_the_Squirrel and @The Other Foot as 'in', unless otherwise informed!