Livi v St Johnstone League Cup Finalists

3 minutes ago, Saigon Raider said:
10 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:
Keeper was off his line, retake the penalty.

Can't believe nobody else has mentioned this!! It's a new rule this season and he clearly has nothing on the line when it's taken - what is the assistant doing?

Tbh mate, I was taking the piss as I think that's the stupidest rule in football.

The cup final is a very welcome distraction both financial and prestige wise for both clubs. Given where Livi were in the league after 10 games we should not lose sight of the fact that 8 points ( or less depending on other results) from our next 6 games guarantees a top 6 place for 2 seasons in a row. Remarkable when survival was the primary aim. Saints were  better than us yesterday so we take it on the chin and prepare for Hamilton.

1 hour ago, Monkey socks said:

Saints were  better than us yesterday so we take it on the chin and prepare for Hamilton.

Agreed. No complaints.

I would be slightly concerned about the defensive situation if we have to line up like that again. Guthrie the obvious miss but I think there’s a hole after Brown recalled, too. Ambrose doesn’t dominate the box. You’d have to think Fitzwater or Serrano (isolating) would feature instead of ATS or Longridge if available come the final. 

Edited by crispy

1 hour ago, Fife Saint said:

On the penalty, the keeper jumped up and smashed the crossbar as May was running up and it was violently vibrating. That cant be allowable?

Still a shite pen.

I actually thought that at the time, and Stryjek was quite lucky in that regard. 

No complaints that we were beaten by the better team yesterday - Guthrie's been absolutely pivotal for us this season, but I thought in the last meeting of the sides in Perth he was our MoTM, and key to out battling the Perth Saints. Sincerely hoping he is back sooner rather than later.

I'm also utterly baffled as to what Jack McMillan has to do to get a game, as he's an infinitely more stable option at LB than Longridge. I'm hoping (or praying, rather) that Martindale pulls a rabbit out of the hat with Jacko but for now McMillan deserves a chance, particularly if Serrano is out for the next week or so and/or punted up to LW.

On the penalty, the keeper jumped up and smashed the crossbar as May was running up and it was violently vibrating. That cant be allowable?

Still a shite pen.
"For the penalty, stryjek saved it....surely that's no allowed."

This is what the rules of the game are heading for with penalties

"For the penalty, stryjek saved it....surely that's no allowed."

This is what the rules of the game are heading for with penalties
No, the point was that the rules are already there. The crossbar must be stationary and the crossbar and posts should not be touched before the ball is kicked. Never mind the fact he was off his line...

Sore one yesterday but I think my tongue-in-cheek comment about St Johnstone being favourites due to our injuries ultimately became reality. Two more games to get through before we are out of the horrendous scheduling. 

Martindale summarised it pretty well for me. Neither team played great but St. Johnstone defended better than we did and deserved to win as a result. They were better than us in the press as well which rarely happens and credit should go to them for that. Positives are that despite this, we could have grabbed an undeserved point with Robinson's missed header at the end.

Pittman was our best player and looked really up for it. We were a bit unlucky that the referee didn't play advantage on the occasion he broke through their midfield. Lawson would have had a great chance to put us ahead if the play had continued.

Very obvious lessons to be learned for the final (if they weren't already telegraphed from their semi-final), hopefully we will have all of our best players back for it.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

On 06/02/2021 at 18:57, Broon_100 said:

Did anyone really think Chris Kane would turn around his fortunes at Saints and start putting in these type of performances? I absolutely love being proved wrong - delighted for him as he's taken soo much stick in recent years. Absolute respect.  I wonder what's changed?

He certainly seems to have mastered the art of getting free kicks for very little. 😋

15 minutes ago, orco said:

He certainly seems to have mastered the art of getting free kicks for very little. 😋

3 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Tbf Marv is THEE master at it, getting his body in front and waiting for contact, gets us at least 7 fouls a game. 😂

Stones being cast at glass houses there. :lol: 

Both the fouls won prior to goals looked pretty clear fouls to me to be honest, both rash challenges by the Livi players. 

8 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Tbf Marv is THEE master at it, getting his body in front and waiting for contact, gets us at least 7 fouls a game. 😂

Him and Craig are brilliant to watch IMO.

Two old dogs of war who just strut about booting folk, avoiding booking seemingly because they're old, before falling down at the slightest hint of contact and winning a free kick, before ranting at the ref demanding a booking.

If you could make a compilation it would be a work of art.

7 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Sore one yesterday but I think my tongue-in-cheek comment about St Johnstone being favourites due to our injuries ultimately became reality. Two more games to get through before we are out of the horrendous scheduling. 

Martindale summarised it pretty well for me. Neither team played great but St. Johnstone defended better than we did and deserved to win as a result. They were better than us in the press as well which rarely happens and credit should go to them for that. Positives are that despite this, we could have grabbed an undeserved point with Robinson's missed header at the end.

Pittman was our best player and looked really up for it. We were a bit unlucky that the referee didn't play advantage on the occasion he broke through their midfield. Lawson would have had a great chance to put us ahead if the play had continued.

Very obvious lessons to be learned for the final (if they weren't already telegraphed from their semi-final), hopefully we will have all of our best players back for it.

Yep that's it in a nutshell.

That and they scored a quality goal from their free kick to give us a kick in the nuts going into HT. 2nd goal was shocking defending, and St Johnstone were well in control till we managed to get a goal, and came close to equalising with Robbo's header at the end.  Yep, St Johnstone defended better and deserved the win. 

Just to add, i think the fact we both pressed so well in midfield contributed to it being a scrappy game with not much in it, till the set pieces. We had a fair amount of set pieces putting balls into their box too, but between us being shite at them and St Johnstone defending them well, we were never getting a goal there. 

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Him and Craig are brilliant to watch IMO.

Two old dogs of war who just strut about booting folk, avoiding booking seemingly because they're old, before falling down at the slightest hint of contact and winning a free kick, before ranting at the ref demanding a booking.

If you could make a compilation it would be a work of art.

Yeah i absolutely love having Marv in our team, he's also great at getting in front of an outstretched leg to be fouled, breaking up an attack to take the pressure of us. Would do my nut in having to play against him though.😂

For a big guy he's got some burst of pace on him too, really unexpected for an old fella.