The Great Playoff/2nd place Hunt

Tex, that’s not really how betting odds work.
Odds are predominantly set on the likelihood of a result.
Obviously that means if the most likely thing does indeed happen, the bookies have to pay out the least amount of money, because the odds are shorter.

The enticement part is a punter thinking that the long odds are worth a chance.
They don’t mind giving long odds because the event is less likely to happen and they won’t have to pay out.

A bookmaker that offered long odds on the most likely thing to happen wouldn’t be in business very long- it’s not like punter can’t work out for themselves how likely something is to happen.

20 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

Tex, that’s not really how betting odds work.
Odds are predominantly set on the likelihood of a result.
Obviously that means if the most likely thing does indeed happen, the bookies have to pay out the least amount of money, because the odds are shorter.

The enticement part is a punter thinking that the long odds are worth a chance.
They don’t mind giving long odds because the event is less likely to happen and they won’t have to pay out.

A bookmaker that offered long odds on the most likely thing to happen wouldn’t be in business very long- it’s not like punter can’t work out for themselves how likely something is to happen.

Odds are set by the oddsmaker to entice action in the direction preferred. For instance, the payout on Hearts to be undefeated in the Championship was set well below what the actual likelihood indicated because they knew Hearts fans would lay the money down anyway, and it reduced their exposure. When a bookie makes a game a pick’em proposition, it isn’t because they feel the odds are 50/50, but because they want to entice a population of punters to have a go on a team that is somewhat unlikely to win.

48 minutes ago, steakngravy said:

TX the Hertz game is at Starks Park and Tyneside is Newcastle is it not? 😉

It’s an early morning and we got pummeled by 2-3” hail last night...I’m still confused! 😏

Have stayed up for the NFL Draft, so might as well get this last preview done now.

image.png.724e6717602abc2a62a6469008d58fa5.png

Dunfermline are looking very likely to finish up in 4th place, but they can still squeak into 3rd place, though they'll need some help from Queen of the South to do so. A one-goal win for the Doonhamers over Dundee, and Dunfermline can get the 2nd leg home advantage with a 2-0 win or more against relegated Alloa. A multi-goal win for QoS would require just a one-goal win. It will be Peter Grant's last game as Alloa manager, and the last game before a transitional summer in many aspects for the Wasps, so the team might want one last shock to see off the outgoing era. The Pars are unbeaten in their last 5 now, and are picking up form at a great time, and Stevie Crawford will want to keep that alive going into their first play-off game on Wednesday.

image.png.1bd42ef216c1ffaf57a1c9705d1daa8e.png

Regardless of the potential stakes for Dundee, this game will have plenty of emotion about it with it being Stephen Dobbie's final appearance for Queens in his second of two equally legendary stints at Palmerston. Dundee likely will be in action next week in the play-off QFs, but have an off-chance at sneaking 2nd place for the first time this season. A win over QoS and a Hearts win at Stark's Park gives the Dee a week off, but the Doonhamers will no doubt be wanting to give Dobbie a suitable send-off, none more so than Dobbie himself, who has loved a goal against us for a while. Simultaneously, Hearts have nothing to play for, so if things aren't going as hoped I'd fully expect some conservative calls near the end of the game.

image.png.0f8fe6f1aa2f195fab8f0d9e6ea01ea9.png

In the big game on the telly, it's 1st vs 2nd as Raith are all but certain to get a week to freshen up and prepare for the play-offs. Despite last week's disappointing loss, John McGlynn's side must still have a large amount of confidence, and a result against the league champions on the last day of the league season would only boost that, even if it's against a team of kids. Raith took all 3 points in their last meeting at Tynecastle, and the lads will know they can do it again. If they fail to do so though, they run the risk of Dundee nicking their week's break should they overcome the Stephen Dobbie show in Dumfries. Nothing to worry about though imo, they'll do it easy-peasy, nae worries...

At the end of the 1897-98 season, we were tied in 7th place on points with Partick Thistle, and were required to play a play-off match to decide who got 7th (St Mirren and Third Lanark were tied on points for 5th btw, and f**k knows why they weren't required to do the same). Dundee beat Partick 2-0 in Glasgow to take 7th spot.

The bottom three clubs had to stand for re-election to the league, so this play-off was to see which club avoided that fate. In contrast, the tie between St Mirren and Third Lanark was irrelevant.

Dundee are surely heavy favourites for second here.

Totally agree. Raith have to match Dundee’s result- not something I’m confident of at all.

I don’t buy the ‘Hearts will field a weak side’ argument. For a few weeks they’ve been playing some of their fringe players but these are guys who are hungry to prove they deserve a start and their recent result show that- unbeaten and with zero goals conceded in their last four games.

I think Raiths best hope to hold onto second is to get a 0-0 and hope QOS can hold Dundee.

1 hour ago, stevoraith said:

Totally agree. Raith have to match Dundee’s result- not something I’m confident of at all.

I don’t buy the ‘Hearts will field a weak side’ argument. For a few weeks they’ve been playing some of their fringe players but these are guys who are hungry to prove they deserve a start and their recent result show that- unbeaten and with zero goals conceded in their last four games.

I think Raiths best hope to hold onto second is to get a 0-0 and hope QOS can hold Dundee.

Based on the GD, if Dundee draw, we can afford to get beat 5-0! If Dundee win, we need to match it. So a draw really does nothing for us. 

With that being the case, I do think its one where the SJM and Paul Smith will need to keep an eye on the score in the other game. 

My hope is that we can (although very unlikely) do the business ourselves and sneak a wee 1-0 win. 

Have to make Dundee clear favourites here. Hoping the Dobbie last game X factor saves the day...

That’s true, I forgot we could afford to lose if Dundee draw.
I stand by the rest of the post though, I think we’ll struggle to break Hearts down going by recent form and unless we can score we need QOS to do us a favour.

Also, this is probably the best thread to put this.

Sky will only show both legs of the play-off final. On one hand, that shows the hilarious contempt they have for the play-offs; but on the other, it does mean the clubs in the quarter- and semi-final should take in a decent amount in PPV cash.

2 minutes ago, The Master said:

Sky will only show both legs of the play-off final. On one hand, that shows the hilarious contempt they have for the play-offs; but on the other, it does mean the clubs in the quarter- and semi-final should take in a decent amount in PPV cash.

Surely BBC Scotland should be putting in a bid, if they have any claim to be Scotland's national broadcaster....

2 minutes ago, Spikethedee said:

Surely BBC Scotland should be putting in a bid, if they have any claim to be Scotland's national broadcaster....

Sky have exclusive rights for these games. They probably aren't allowed to show the game on Tuesday due to UEFA restrictions, but it's disappointing that they haven't picked up the rest.

Guest Flash
27 minutes ago, The Master said:

Do the clubs have to give the SPFL 42.5% of the PPV income in the same way as they would if it was gate money? If they do, presumably the other rules also apply, like minimum pricing and season tickets not being valid.

39 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Sky have exclusive rights for these games. They probably aren't allowed to show the game on Tuesday due to UEFA restrictions, but it's disappointing that they haven't picked up the rest.

If they're not planning to show them, why not sell on the rights to those games? Some money in the pot, and they've lost nothing. Can you imagine any other league in the world with their playoffs not televised because their broadcast partner can't be arsed??