P&B Ranks: The Top 42 Video Games of All-Time

Miguel Sanchez

12 minutes ago, forameus said:

To be fair though, SI (the people that make FM) are in a weird grey area.  They can't legally use the stuff they don't pay for, and don't.  Any discussion of that stuff or ways to get around it are forbidden on the forums, threads locked, etc etc.  But they also build in fairly robust ways of essentially getting around all that.  You can add whatever images you want, even change the way the 3D kits look.  I imagine they're pretty airtight in being allowed to do that, otherwise they wouldn't, but it always struck me as weird how easy it is to get around those things.

There are enough legitimate reasons for the editing tools to exist that complaints about SI not making it impossible for third parties to change elements of their games ought to be doomed to failure. It reminds me of the music industry's failed attempts to outlaw the manufacture of cassette recorders because they could be used for piracy.

It's just nightmarish to imagine a future where people are unable to modify games because somebody might edit in a copyrighted entity but thankfully I can't think of how that could be in anyway implemented or enforced.

I don't want football games to get any more realistic unless they make the players make more errors based on their ability score. I want to see more teams available, more leagues and BRING BACK CUSTOMIZATION! If I want to download and add someones Montrose team, let me. 

10 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Yeah but the engine doesn't matter too much when every player is either as you say superhuman or gifted with the first touch and technique of Kirk Broadfoot. 

All I'm saying is it's much harder to abuse the non UT game modes. 

In as much as its slower so you have more time to think I agree. 

In a year where lofted through balls are king though, for eg, they'll still be king in all modes. If tackling bounces back to the attacker 90% of the time in fut, it will do in normal vs too - likewise if the contain button is op, it's op across all modes. 

The FUT chem system provides crazy boosts without even applying a style. 

That's one of the issues I think they have actually. The beta and the testing is all done with normalish cards, but by the time this part of the year comes round, most players are running about with 99 everything and it becomes a different game. 

13 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Fighting games have been ruined in that manner. I thought the 'online era' would see a massive boom of fighting games as they were the ultimate 2 player game, but I only play solo mode of the likes of Tekken & Mortal Kombat. I'm pretty shite tbf, but can usually complete these games with ease on the hardest difficulty. Online though? You've got 3 milliseconds to get in a 100 move combo before whomever your fighting juggles you to death.

I remember thinking I was good at UFC til I played online, spent the whole time rolling around the floor unable to get off the ground, it felt like borderline abuse. 

6 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I don't want football games to get any more realistic unless they make the players make more errors based on their ability score. I want to see more teams available, more leagues and BRING BACK CUSTOMIZATION! If I want to download and add someones Montrose team, let me. 

People just complain about RNG in those cases. Remember the days you used to be able to play in rain, or snow, or even windy conditions. Unfair now. 

I'd love a game where players could get injured and need to be taken off, maybe even out for x games or whatever, making subs an important part of the set up etc. Too much RNG tho, and you'd get wideos running around trying to cripple c***s the entire match 

In a lot of ways, e-sports have ruined gaming for us plebs - the pros demand such a level playing field that any deviation from that is met with huge resistance... from about 0.01% of the player base, but they're the ones whose voices matter. 

Just now, Stormzy said:

I remember thinking I was good at UFC til I played online, spent the whole time rolling around the floor unable to get off the ground, it felt like borderline abuse. 

Haha

I find fps to be like that now. I used to be proper excellent at CS etc, but just the slightest glance on the forums of a game you're trying to get into, maybe to get some beginner tips or whatever, and about 500 neckbeards are arguing about the perfect sensitivity to have you mouse's x-axis set at. Miles above my head. I just want to actually see someone before they kill me. 

6 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Haha

I find fps to be like that now. I used to be proper excellent at CS etc, but just the slightest glance on the forums of a game you're trying to get into, maybe to get some beginner tips or whatever, and about 500 neckbeards are arguing about the perfect sensitivity to have you mouse's x-axis set at. Miles above my head. I just want to actually see someone before they kill me. 

Aye 100%.

I loved Fortnite when that first came out and it was brilliant because the building was complex and nobody knew what they were doing which just made it hilarious and now if you play some 12 year old with G Fuel coursing through his veins and the best computer set up know to man has built the Taj Mahal by the time you get your gun out. 

Parents actually pay for their children to get gaming tutors nowadays. 

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

There are enough legitimate reasons for the editing tools to exist that complaints about SI not making it impossible for third parties to change elements of their games ought to be doomed to failure. It reminds me of the music industry's failed attempts to outlaw the manufacture of cassette recorders because they could be used for piracy.

It's just nightmarish to imagine a future where people are unable to modify games because somebody might edit in a copyrighted entity but thankfully I can't think of how that could be in anyway implemented or enforced.

While I agree, this one would be pretty easy to implement and enforce.  Tell developers that if they give the means to do it, they'll get the punishment.  It'll stop immediately.

Obviously that's fucking mental, and I doubt it'll ever get to that, but would you put it past the greedy c***s in charge of these things?

6 minutes ago, forameus said:

While I agree, this one would be pretty easy to implement and enforce.  Tell developers that if they give the means to do it, they'll get the punishment.  It'll stop immediately.

Obviously that's fucking mental, and I doubt it'll ever get to that, but would you put it past the greedy c***s in charge of these things?

I don't believe that's enforceable, as there are plenty of reasons for editing tools to exist other than breaching copyright.

Any type of ruling that enforced the banning of modding tools would wipe out entirely legitimate modding communities across the entire gaming industry. I've no doubt it's something that copyright holders would love to do, but no sane court would agree to that. It'd be approaching the level of banning the use of development tools in case someone used them to create programs for illegal purposes.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Gaming is supposed to be fun, less and less people are seeing it that way it seems.

This is it entirely. Everything is competitive or designed to piss your opponent off. It's one of the reasons I'm gravitating towards single player games having basically played MP only for the last 2 decades. I just wish someone could come up with decent AI in SP. 

Edited by madwullie

I pretty much despite online multilayer so haven't bothered ever bothered with it. The few experiences I've had with it have put me off and every anecdote I hear or read just reinforces my view.

Haven't played a football game for years. They're boring.

21 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Gaming is supposed to be fun, less and less people are seeing it that way it seems.

Indeed. Hot take - football games are generally a gubbins waste of money, especially if you pay £50 for the same game every year.

Each to their own and that, and people can spend their cash however they want but it will never not seem mental to me that EA and SI manage to make so much money each year for what would amount to a patch in any other game. It's all just a low effort money printer for these shysters and people just buy in to it.

Indeed. Hot take - football games are generally a gubbins waste of money, especially if you pay £50 for the same game every year.
Each to their own and that, and people can spend their cash however they want but it will never not seem mental to me that EA and SI manage to make so much money each year for what would amount to a patch in any other game. It's all just a low effort money printer for these shysters and people just buy in to it.
I've said in on the fm forum for years that it would be a far better game if they moved to a subscription model and just released incremental upgrades rather than cobbling together shite to try and justify a new release each year.

8 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I've said in on the fm forum for years that it would be a far better game if they moved to a subscription model and just released incremental upgrades rather than cobbling together shite to try and justify a new release each year.

They're probably wary of that after the failure of Football Manager Live.

That, and they'll be figuring that they make a fortune anyway, so f**k it.

1 hour ago, GiGi said:

I had it sorted it for years because of FT as you could get FIFA by Christmas/ New Year for about 25 quid which suited me as I only played Seasons but I don't even use up the 10 hour free trial on EA Play anymore. Find it beyond boring past one or two games.