P&B Ranks: The Top 42 Video Games of All-Time

Miguel Sanchez

2 hours ago, madwullie said:

Man I would still be laughing if I'd known you could do that 

As a kid it endlessly funny but aye, if I still had a copy of the game and could do it then I'd still be giggling away at such juvenile nonsense.

7 hours ago, forameus said:

About the same level as renaming all your rides in Rollercoaster Tycoon. 

"Tam P had a really good time riding Yer Maw!"

My favourite juvenile trick in that game was having free drinks but charging a super high price to use the toilets

(for entries like this I'm not going to do every game at once)

IN JOINT 40TH PLACE, WITH 11 POINTS FROM 2 VOTES

Battlefield 1 cover art.jpg

Game: Battlefield 1
Platform: PC PlayStation 4, Xbox One
Release date: 21st October 2016
Zero Punctuation review: 

User comments: "WW1 has never been so enjoyable. A real classy game with amazingly built maps and properly what you want from a war game, none of that new fangled nonsense."

Gameplay:

Poll-maker comments: My abiding memory of this game came a few months ago on here when NotThePars mentioned people complaining about the start of its single-player campaign, where you're in trenches trying (and failing) to make any progress in whichever battle you're in. Perhaps the audience for first person shooters in 2016 needed a reminder that such a thing existed, but I can't comment on how beneficial it was. 

Ooft

I think that's 9 out of my 10 done for. Absolutely loved this game, mainly the online stuff. The DLC was brilliant, the maps are huge and you feel like you're part of a huge battle rather than COD and it's 3 lane maps. I used to love being the squad leader and trying to take the pivotal bases rather than the ones everyone was contesting, you got points for successfully doing a squad command so I would regularly finish top without loads of kills but not many deaths. The drop on the snipers was so fun when you're in a long range sniper fight, both of you missing 3 or 4 shots trying to get that perfect drop, even the way the snipers scope glints in the distance, the massive f**k off blimp. I might need to download this again, I never even tried the game after because I presumed it would just be the same with different maps. 

I missed the discussion at the time but the opening part was amazing, innovative, thought provoking and fun as f**k. I would have been happy if the whole game went like that. 

On 24/03/2021 at 12:44, NotThePars said:

Halo 2 is the daddy. The first ever game I played on Xbox Live. Was obsessed with it as the only games I had on 360 were Halo 2, Call of Duty 2 and Oblivion and since Cod was broken for months after release it was the only thing I could play. So much fun in random custom games whether it was Zombies, the never ending games, Tower of Power or ranked multiplayer that felt like I could actually compete pretty well. Campaign was class as well and also could be easily broken. Still play it to this day.

I voted Final Fantasy VII Remake. I could've picked a load of other stuff that I've loved for longer but I'm still amazed at how audacious and successful a remake it is. The only other IP that comes close in trying to do something interesting with a remake are the Resident Evil ones and they still are nowhere near as much of a risk take as this was and didn't have the enormous pressure that about 15 years of expectations threw on it. It also pissed off all the right nostalgic nerds by deviating pretty significantly from the original game and it's made the potential for the sequels enormous even if I'm certain I know what they're going to do with a specific character. It's writing is terrific that improves on the original's characters and resolves a lot of the issues around a lack of individuality in the battle systems and has one of the most revolutionary stories I've seen in a big budget game. It's essentially a Bush did 9/11 and terrorism is justified if the systems are rotten story in a AAA title.

Also it looks amazing and is the culmination of an often painful attempt by the series to modernise its battle system which I think has been a big success in this. It moves at a rapid pace but doesn't feel like it's slipping away from your control. Stoked to play the DLC and upgraded version on the PS5 hopefully in 4K. Still have a ton of shit to do but I want to experience it on a console that isn't creaking.

Barret is a king as well.

I think if I'd played FF7R before I voted it would have been on my list as well. It's brilliant. On the face if it looks like the typical cutesy Japanese stuff with a few incel w**k fantasies thrown in as token female characters, but it really isn't,and while I found a couple of the early chapters a bit dull, once it kicks in it really barrels along at a hell of a pace, especially after you finish the sector 5 bit with Aerith. Really looking forward to seeing what comes next.

I could probably do a bit better than that.

As I've mentioned earlier, I've never really been too into modern or futuristic shooters (although Squad is #nobad), and as we all know, WW2 was getting a little stale, so when B1 was announced I genuinely creamed my pants. At that point a sorely neglected conflict TBF, Verdun is all I can really think of (was that even out before B1?) and an opportunity for a different historical perspective, nations, weapons etc etc. As the zero punctuation review touches on, sure it would have been interesting for everyone to be packing bolt action rifles and have some slow and tactical play, but a battlefield game is never going to be anything but mostly arcadey, and they really succeeded in making this one a fucking blast (should say I never even bother with single player campaigns, I'm talking purely about the multiplayer.)

For a while, there was no better way to spend your evening than to get a bunch of mates in discord (or was it ventrillo in this days), hop in a biplane, strafe the shit out a blimp before running bayonet first into some dirty fucking boche. 

Really though, despite the ridiculous amount of automatic weapons etc, B1 was absolutely fucking amazing fun with a bunch of mates. Pure arcade mental shooter goodness. Definitely would have been miles worse had they tried to be all historical realism about it. Five aubergines out of five imo: 🍆 🍆 🍆 🍆 🍆 

Edited by madwullie

I didn't play much of BF1, but a mate had it.  Went down to visit and we had a good old "one life each" shot.  I went first, and...f**k sake.  I think it had even more impact because I had no fucking idea what I was doing.  Just rushing about, shell-shocked, getting the shit kicked out of me.  An absolutely wonderful representation of something so utterly horrific.

I give it five of those pointy German hats out of five.

Edited by forameus

9 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Poll-maker comments: My abiding memory of this game came a few months ago on here when NotThePars mentioned people complaining about the start of its single-player campaign, where you're in trenches trying (and failing) to make any progress in whichever battle you're in. Perhaps the audience for first person shooters in 2016 needed a reminder that such a thing existed, but I can't comment on how beneficial it was. 

I might be misremembering but I think the complaints were driven at the multiplayer. People were getting mad at spending an hour on a level while they got repeatedly shot down in a ditch trying to capture an objective which was just really funny to me given the setting.

7 hours ago, GAD said:

I think if I'd played FF7R before I voted it would have been on my list as well. It's brilliant. On the face if it looks like the typical cutesy Japanese stuff with a few incel w**k fantasies thrown in as token female characters, but it really isn't,and while I found a couple of the early chapters a bit dull, once it kicks in it really barrels along at a hell of a pace, especially after you finish the sector 5 bit with Aerith. Really looking forward to seeing what comes next.

There's definitely bits where the momentum is sapped (Hojo's dungeon at the end is way too long) but that aside it's a crowning achievement. 

The meltdown over Tifa is still baffling to me because *gestures*

About an hour or so in to BF1 and was enjoying it. I'll get back to it at some point. I prefer WWII stuff and only recently discovered Battlefield's latest was a WWII title. Played it a few weeks back and it was absolute horseshit. Looked decent but the story was utter shite and the gameplay was meh. Played all of their titles and even Hardline was better than that shite. I assume Online was excellent and they just focussed on that as the story mode was extremely lazy.

4 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I might be misremembering but I think the complaints were driven at the multiplayer. People were getting mad at spending an hour on a level while they got repeatedly shot down in a ditch trying to capture an objective which was just really funny to me given the setting.

You missed my comments about your number 1 

22 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

There's definitely bits where the momentum is sapped (Hojo's dungeon at the end is way too long) but that aside it's a crowning achievement. 

The meltdown over Tifa is still baffling to me because *gestures*

I didn't know what the meltdown over Tifa was so I googled it. Gamers really are pathetic.