Alcohol and Football

Alcohol and Football  

188 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Leith Green said:

tbf, it wisnae much different last year from the wee radges at the end section when those pair were visiting.

john c. mcginley laughing GIF

Simpler, better, times imo.............

You naughty youngsters. What are you like......   😄

Edited by AndyM

42 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Fair enough to bring booze back, as long as the OF are kept away from the stuff.

They're the ones who brought the ban on, after all.

I wholly expect this is a fishing expedition, but on the off chance it isn't... why would fans of any club be held responsible for the actions of supporters 40 years previous? Bit of a can of worms to open up there.

I follow football at a level where we can get a drink(Juniors or whatever we're now called after moving to the Pyramid).

I don't always have a drink as I don't live in my hometown anymore and often drive to games but enjoy a couple sometimes.

Like someone said in the thread earlier you can only drink it in the bar and at my club there is no view onto the park so no need to shut curtains etc.

As our bar is only open on match days we only sell bottles and cans and at a bargain price of £2 a beer.

I have no issue with trying it and league grounds as most can be trusted to behave and strict sanctions on those spoiing it for others could be imposed.

I certainly prefer giving my money to my club or club I am visiting rather than the pub.

Usually get a good crack with opposition fans as well

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

I wholly expect this is a fishing expedition, but on the off chance it isn't... why would fans of any club be held responsible for the actions of supporters 40 years previous? Bit of a can of worms to open up there.

Because you never change.

3 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Nothing I've ever seen from Rangers or Celtic fans since makes me think it would be safe to give them access to alcohol.

You're talking as if they have been teetotal attending matches since 1980. I hate to break it to you, but fans attend matches drunk all the time mate.

3 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

But you remember 2008 don't you?

Did the sale of alcohol in the stadium have any bearing on fan behaviour that day? I'll tell you the answer - no, it never. All trouble that day was far from the stadium, which is surely another reason to encourage more fans to drink in the stadium as opposed to the pubs.

Edited by AJF

15 minutes ago, AJF said:

All trouble that day was far from the stadium, which is surely another reason to encourage more fans to drink in the stadium as opposed to the pubs.

That's possible the weirdest argument I've heard for booze in stadiums. Still, it would be entertaining to hear you run it past the licensing committee.

8 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

That's possible the weirdest argument I've heard for booze in stadiums. Still, it would be entertaining to hear you run it past the licensing committee.

It's not because you've completely missed my point. You used the example of Manchester as a reason for denying Rangers fans alcohol in the stadium. I was using hyperbole to support my point that if alcohol was or was not served in the stadium that day, it would've had no bearing whatsoever to encourage any crowd trouble that occurred at the fan zone.

Fans nowadays are still able to drink in pubs before matches, my point is what does it's continued ban in a stadium achieve? You've yet to convince me that it achieves anything at all.

Edited by AJF

1 hour ago, AJF said:

I wasn't even born in 1980 mate so how could I change the behaviour of someone else?

Rangers fans still hate Catholics like they did in 1980.

Yes they do.

They never change

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

Rangers fans still hate Catholics like they did in 1980.

Yes they do.

They never change

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

It's ironic, because the majority of the time that I see people reference religion on this forum, it's usually coming from non-OF fans.

Do you have a view on the debate regarding the alcohol ban or are you happy to continue making obscure, nonsensical comments not related to the topic?

3 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

Sounds about right on all accounts, though I've never experienced having to go to the same server or fill out some form (maybe a hockey thing?).

Might be a New Jersey thing.  Been to about 3 or games at MetLife and to see Devils. Never an issue in NYC

1 minute ago, AJF said:

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

It's ironic, because the majority of the time that I see people reference religion on this forum, it's usually coming from non-OF fans.

Do you have a view on the debate regarding the alcohol ban or are you happy to continue making obscure, nonsensical comments not related to the topic?

I have no preference on the alcohol.

I'd rather ban the bigots. Despite being an atheist I have suffered abuse from Old Firm fans and to suggest it is nonsense is the typical attitude you get from the big two (that and sound bites about them tackling the issue)

5 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I have no preference on the alcohol.

I'd rather ban the bigots. Despite being an atheist I have suffered abuse from Old Firm fans and to suggest it is nonsense is the typical attitude you get from the big two (that and sound bites about them tackling the issue)

Bigotry itself is not nonsense. That is not what I was referring to as nonsensical, I was more referring to the way you used it to try and influence a debate about extending the availability of alcohol to Football stadiums rather than confine it to pubs.

Edited by AJF

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

Bigotry itself is not nonsense. That is not what I was referring to as nonsensical, I was more referring to the way you used it to try and influence a debate about extending the availability of alcohol to Football stadiums rather than confine it to pubs.

I was using it to show that the behaviour of Rangers fans is bred into them.

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

ah no, but you see, some people like to use sectarianism for point-scoring purposes and have no real interest in actually doing anything about it.

3 minutes ago, Gosport Buddie said:

Before the ban you took your own booze into games. If alcohol is allowed it'll crap, over priced pints served in shitty plastic tumblers poured from pipes that are hardly ever used/cleaned properly. No thanks. I'd rather have a nice pint, in a glasss in a warm pub before and after the game

I totally get that. If I'm attending an event at the Hydro, I grudge paying the prices they charge for pints served in plastic tumblers, but ultimately I have the choice to do so.

Other than your preference to buy a pint in the pub, do you feel fans should have the option to buy a crappy pint at the stadium should they choose to do so?

Edited by AJF