Alcohol and Football

Alcohol and Football  

188 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 27/02/2021 at 10:45, AJF said:

Yep, it’s another one of those strange “I’m a better human being than you based on the team I support” flexes that people try to pull off.

It would be ridiculous to try and claim you were a better human being than every Rangers fan but I would argue the average non Gers/Tic fan  better human being than most of them. 

There can surely be no denial that the Rangers and Celtic are the reason we cannot have nice things in Scottish Football. Any supporter will tell you , it's a totally different and generally unpleasant experience when your at home to either of them compared to every other team in the league.

It would be nice if we could just treat them like the social pariahs they are and move forward into the 21st century without them............if only. 

We already ban alcohol on public transport for high profile games - often wrongly, but the distinction is made in other settings. You could simply require SPFL clubs to establish a category of matches in cooperation with the local police/safety officer, with Category A games not selling alcohol while Ross County v Livingston (Category fucking Z) gets a free pass. 

That would punish the bigot fans for their abysmal behaviour around the country: although even they can get a pint for some snorefest procession in their own middens. A sensible solution for a better Scottish football. 

• 1 year later...

Celtic staff member injured with bottle, broken glass on the pitch, missiles being thrown during the game. Sadly this shite is probably reducing the chances of decent fans being able to buy a drink at the game in the future. That said, I would argue that making alcohol available to buy at the match would mean less people try to smuggle drink into the game. What this shows is that it's a piece of piss to get some booze into stadiums and there will never be searches robust enough to stop it happening. Give the fans what the want - the opportunity to buy a beer at the match and maybe folk will stop bothering. What's going to get you more wrecked - a half bottle of Glens/bucky or a couple pints of lager?

IMG_0593.jpg

Celtic staff member injured with bottle, broken glass on the pitch, missiles being thrown during the game. Sadly this shite is probably reducing the chances of decent fans being able to buy a drink at the game in the future.

IMG_0593.thumb.jpg.462757bb44bb8a162d3fafe966f682ce.jpg

And that’s why we can’t have nice things

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Celtic staff member injured with bottle, broken glass on the pitch, missiles being thrown during the game. Sadly this shite is probably reducing the chances of decent fans being able to buy a drink at the game in the future. That said, I would argue that making alcohol available to buy at the match would mean less people try to smuggle drink into the game. What this shows is that it's a piece of piss to get some booze into stadiums and there will never be searches robust enough to stop it happening. Give the fans what the want - the opportunity to buy a beer at the match and maybe folk will stop bothering. What's going to get you more wrecked - a half bottle of Glens/bucky or a couple pints of lager?

IMG_0593.jpg

They wouldn't want to miss any of the game going to get a drink so I can't see it making a difference.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

They wouldn't want to miss any of the game going to get a drink so I can't see it making a difference.

The simple solution for that would be beer being sold before kicked off and at half time only 

IMG_0593.jpg

So far this season I was patted down and checked for alcohol by stewards before matches at Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs, Dundee United and St Johnstone. Didn't get checked yesterday at Dundee and was pretty boozy. 

I think if every adult fan was getting searched at all matches then the less chance of so many bottles getting inside will occur. Problem with that though is if thousands are turning up at 2.55pm to gain entry for a 3pm start

3 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

So far this season I was patted down and checked for alcohol by stewards before matches at Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs, Dundee United and St Johnstone. Didn't get checked yesterday at Dundee and was pretty boozy. 

I think if every adult fan was getting searched at all matches then the less chance of so many bottles getting inside will occur. Problem with that though is if thousands are turning up at 2.55pm to gain entry for a 3pm start

We should be reducing the amount of searches not increasing.  Its utter madness that we are treated like criminals just to watch a football match, you don't get treated like that anywhere else

People smuggling in bottles are not exactly doing that bad of thing.  Yes if they throw them they are a scumbag, but that's the same if they throw coins/lighters etc. 

IMG_0593.jpg

I think it would be perfectly reasonable to (as a trial) have some kind of maximum of 2 drinks per ticket, served in plastic cups in the concourse and not allowed in the seating area. Not that folk would afford much more than that because, let's face it, clubs would charge about £8 a drink.

This would only be for games not involving Celtic or Rangers, or even Derbies?

Anyone throwing a bottle, then that seating area of the stadium is closed for the next home game if the perpetrator is not caught, this would probably result in the person getting pointed out/a hiding straight away.

3 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

in the 26 years i've been going to Livi games I've only been patted down at one ground, once, Ibrox, and it was that thorough they missed a stanley knife (without a blade) in my coat pocket, thank feck.

Just to clarify i wasn't a ned going about with a stanley knife to the football, the bladeless knife was in my back garden and my daughter and her friends were playing there, she picked it up and stuck it in my coat pocket my wife had hung up airing it off on the whirly gig to get rid of the smokey smell after i'd been in the pub. Hadn't checked my pocket and went to the football, was only when i was in the ground i put my hand in the pocket and discovered the stanley knife, dear knows what would've happened to me had the police fella done a better job patting me down.

Anyway, shows how difficult it must be to sneak in booze.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

How is that stopping them taking in bottles?

Correct, it would not stop them taking in bottles.

These so called supporters are clearly making every effort to deceive the security staff.

And don’t give me that “breaching my civil rights S....” by being searched at the entrance.

It’s not just Ibrox, and Rangers supporters, it’s happening all over Scotland.

I would give serious consideration to quitting watching football if alcohol was introduced at grounds , I go to watch the game, not be bumped into by some Ned that can’t handle the bevy.

Recently we’ve had sectarianism, racism, flares, pitch invasions and now hooligans throwing bottles onto the pitch, none of this is new, more often than not, it’s alcohol at the root cause.

Dundee and Aberdeen supporters fighting on the Hill, please grow up.

Some of the comments made by ex footballers, and footballers over the weekend are unbelievable to say the least.

Leave the bevy to the pubs, and if you can’t handle your bevy or getting beat, then football is not for you.

Can’t even consider the Highland League now, it has it’s own problems.

Best quote of the weekend was from a sober human, Livingston Manager, even the seagulls could see it was a handball.

1 hour ago, Merkincher Clach & County said:

These so called supporters

Love this patter. As though somehow sneaking booze into a match means you cannot be a supporter. Condescending shite.

3 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I think it would be perfectly reasonable to (as a trial) have some kind of maximum of 2 drinks per ticket, served in plastic cups in the concourse and not allowed in the seating area. Not that folk would afford much more than that because, let's face it, clubs would charge about £8 a drink.

This would only be for games not involving Celtic or Rangers, or even Derbies?

Anyone throwing a bottle, then that seating area of the stadium is closed for the next home game if the perpetrator is not caught, this would probably result in the person getting pointed out/a hiding straight away.

Could the league institute a rule where beer (and likely the watered down shit they do over here) is sold at all matches not involving the OF?

20 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

Could the league institute a rule where beer (and likely the watered down shit they do over here) is sold at all matches not involving the OF?

Sorry why can’t I enjoy a beer watching Celtic v Ross County?

1 hour ago, Merkincher Clach & County said:

Recently we’ve had sectarianism, racism, flares, pitch invasions and now hooligans throwing bottles onto the pitch, none of this is new, more often than not, it’s alcohol at the root cause.

That is absolute shite, do you honestly believe that racism or sectarianism would not be part of football or wider society without alcohol?