Next Ayr United manager

He managed Montrose I think, don’t think they were particularly bad but didn’t set the heather alight. Struggled to get another job after that and ended up with the job over there. 

seems to have done well over there. But it may be a case that having a competent coach rather than a good one over there is enough.
to much of a gamble for me but would be interesting. 

Believe me when I tell you that Montrose under Robertson were brutal! He hasn’t got a clue. Most memorably he signed 4 new players the night before a Scottish Cup tie at Deveronvale and put them all straight in the side. We went 2-0 up ... had a player sent off in the first half ... a second in the second ... and conceded 3 in the last minutes to lose. 3 of the new signings were never seen again.

8 minutes ago, notsofedupendie said:

Believe me when I tell you that Montrose under Robertson were brutal! He hasn’t got a clue. Most memorably he signed 4 new players the night before a Scottish Cup tie at Deveronvale and put them all straight in the side. We went 2-0 up ... had a player sent off in the first half ... a second in the second ... and conceded 3 in the last minutes to lose. 3 of the new signings were never seen again.

Sounds like he'd fit right in !!

10 minutes ago, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

I always thought Motherwell stole him away just cos he was good down south in EPL for a while 

My bad as said it was almost 30 years ago getting old

Burley got the job at the wrong time IMO. 

David Robertson straight in at 7/1 that can f**k right off, not what we need!!!

Malky MacKay aswell in at 10/1 no thanks

Jim McIntyre goes joint favourite, still think he'll get it and i want him to get the job.

28 minutes ago, rb123! said:

David Robertson straight in at 7/1 that can f**k right off, not what we need!!!

Malky MacKay aswell in at 10/1 no thanks

Jim McIntyre goes joint favourite, still think he'll get it and i want him to get the job.

There must be better than McIntyre , he would be ok , but is there a reason he is still out a job

One name I've been surprised to have not seen yet (unless it was buried in amongst the noise earlier in the thread) is Ray MacKinnon. Not that I'd particularly want him but he must be due jumping ship? 

8 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

One name I've been surprised to have not seen yet (unless it was buried in amongst the noise earlier in the thread) is Ray MacKinnon. Not that I'd particularly want him but he must be due jumping ship? 

More likely to be replaced than Quit I think, QP are almost “doing a Rangers” just now, bigger budget than other clubs and full time but have not shown any real flair. He did the same at Falkirk. Another name that has been average at the level below us.

38 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

There must be better than McIntyre , he would be ok , but is there a reason he is still out a job

To be honest, he wouldn't be my number one pick either. But with some of the names being touted around, I would probably take him until the end of the season (providing he doesn't bring Billy Dodds with him).

48 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Who exactly? Wouldn't say Hopkin is any better.

Stuart McCall probably the only one you would say is better but him coming to Ayr is ambitious to say the least.

Would be a MASSIVE coup if we pulled it off

10 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

This is all a thoroughly depressing read.

Sake Kerr, all you had to do was not be completely useless and we wouldn't have this hassle.

Felt toward the end of Kerr's tenure that he was needing atleast 1 more head in the dugout with him, for two people they were maybe biting off more than they could chew. Others have pointed out that McCall certainly appeared to have a bigger support team around him. A strong assistant manager with Mick in more of a support role may have been all that was needed? Hopefully whoever comes in will have the budget to have atleast two with him. 

1 hour ago, super_carson said:

Is it not partly influenced by the number of bets placed on an option?  If so, who the hell is putting money on Mackay?

The initial prices are based on educated guesswork using publicly available info pretty similar to ourselves (hence we had already mentioned most of the names), however as this is a pretty obscure market with little liquidity any decent sums of money will majorly influence the price movements so if we suddenly see someone going well odds on, then we can be pretty sure that someone in the know has let slip but if the "favourite" is anything above Evs, then rest assured it's all complete guesswork.

28 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Who exactly? Wouldn't say Hopkin is any better.

Stuart McCall probably the only one you would say is better but him coming to Ayr is ambitious to say the least.

Would be a MASSIVE coup if we pulled it off

Personal opinion , but there are  names in the realistic betting I would prefer before McIntyre, not saying he is a bad. manager and would be ok if it was him  

Edited by Robbo63

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

The initial prices are based on educated guesswork using publicly available info pretty similar to ourselves (hence we had already mentioned most of the names), however as this is a pretty obscure market with little liquidity any decent sums of money will majorly influence the price movements so if we suddenly see someone going well odds on, then we can be pretty sure that someone in the know has let slip but if the "favourite" is anything above Evs, then rest assured it's all complete guesswork.

Thanks for clarifying, although I'm not sure it makes me feel any better considering some of the shorter odds.

That all said, recently the club has been better at keeping things signings a bit quieter so maybe it will be a surprise to all of us. 

I think it's fair to say that the backroom team that comes with the appointed manager is of equal importance to who actually gets the job, especially at our level where so many duties need or should be delegated to a few if we want to do things properly, efficiently and as professionally as possible. 

The bigger clubs will have different departments that incorporate recruitment, team analysis, sports science and scouting to name but a few. That's before you even consider day to day training, coaching and developing young players, working on team shape with and without the ball and innovative set pieces. 

Mark and Mick would've / should've been doing all this day to day and week to week. I assume they thought they could do it justice between them. 

The manager brings it all together as the figurehead but for me the budget available to put together his backroom team and who he's bringing with him shouldn't be forgotten about either. 

I'm sure that's something that won't be lost on the board. 

1 minute ago, super_carson said:

Thanks for clarifying, although I'm not sure it makes me feel any better considering some of the shorter odds.

That all said, recently the club has been better at keeping things signings a bit quieter so maybe it will be a surprise to all of us. 

These "managers" lists are all pretty generic with the usual suspects appearing for almost all Championship Clubs / bottom end Premier. Of course you'll find the "tailored" ones appearing who have a previous connection, such as Hursty in our case, but honestly I wouldn't read too much into any of the names quoted, of course there's every chance that there will be a few of them genuinely interested who will almost certainly apply, but at this stage it's all complete guesswork both by those making the market and those betting on it.

David Smith will be the only one who'll know and he'll not even have interviewed anyone yet.