Next Ayr United manager

2 hours ago, Iain said:

Smith's comments on Tuesday warped expectations. There was no reason to gush about the quality of applicants or be all dramatic about sleepless nights if he was just appointing a standard candidate from the standard pool of candidates.

On previous history the  standard candidate for Ayr Utd would have been Michael Moffat. Whether it works or not remains to be seen but it's good to see us recruiting from the wider scottish game again  

All things considered I'd rather the team were brutal to watch and won games than brutal to watch and lost them, so that's the baseline Hopkin will be judged on.

Choosing to blame Partick Thistle for this, as ultimately it's still their fault.

I wonder if he'll bring in a coach as well as assistant manager or if we'll be going down the route of the coaching team being a skeleton staff again

From the interview he’s just done with VOR and the comments from Smith then he’ll bring in an assistant and keep the rest as it is until at least the summer. Sounds like he’s prioritised keeping us in this league and then will look to plan for the future.

Look on the bright side, we could have had that nutter boxer guy who would have been picking our side based on a twitter poll or a mock result on Football manager or something !!!

I have the same feelings about this as I did about McCall when he was appointed, knew there was failure on his CV but also some success. McCall had a record of working in a crisis and building and galvanising squads. But also had a reputation of being a bit of a failure when he was tasked with taking clubs to the next level, stagnating and maybe running out of ideas.

Hopkin has less experience but took a Livingston team going nowhere to promotion to the premier league. Which would make him a success at Ayr.

he has failed in England and maybe to an extent at Morton, but it doesn’t mean he is going to fail at Ayr.

With McCall there was a marked difference in fitness and performance but not results in the first few weeks and it was obvious what he was bringing to the club.
Kerr had almost the opposite, fitness and performance went down, results stayed the same then dipped and it wasn’t clear what the plan was.

So Hopkin can learn from his time at Morton in this league and hopefully show in the coming weeks what he can do with a  good squad with a lot of footballers that are undoubtedly underperforming. One criticism of him is that he doesn’t play attractive football but he may not have the option in the squad to play defensive, long ball football. It will be an interesting couple of months.

I’m not delighted with the appointment and not upset by it, it’s ok. I couldn’t say who I’d have preferred from the list of candidates over him so.....aye.....I hope it goes well 

Just got to get behind him and hope he can get a better tune out if this group than Kerr was getting!
Suppose when he meets the players he can give them the brief of what his ambitions are for the club and between now and the end of the season is an audition for those who want to be part of it.

5 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I have the same feelings about this as I did about McCall when he was appointed, knew there was failure on his CV but also some success. McCall had a record of working in a crisis and building and galvanising squads. But also had a reputation of being a bit of a failure when he was tasked with taking clubs to the next level, stagnating and maybe running out of ideas.

Hopkin has less experience but took a Livingston team going nowhere to promotion to the premier league. Which would make him a success at Ayr.

he has failed in England and maybe to an extent at Morton, but it doesn’t mean he is going to fail at Ayr.

With McCall there was a marked difference in fitness and performance but not results in the first few weeks and it was obvious what he was bringing to the club.
Kerr had almost the opposite, fitness and performance went down, results stayed the same then dipped and it wasn’t clear what the plan was.

So Hopkin can learn from his time at Morton in this league and hopefully show in the coming weeks what he can do with a  good squad with a lot of footballers that are undoubtedly underperforming. One criticism of him is that he doesn’t play attractive football but he may not have the option in the squad to play defensive, long ball football. It will be an interesting couple of months.

I’m not delighted with the appointment and not upset by it, it’s ok. I couldn’t say who I’d have preferred from the list of candidates over him so.....aye.....I hope it goes well 

If he even attempts to play hoofball with this squad then we're onto plums, there's nothing more demoralising as a fan than watching hoofball with the wrong players. 

Edited by ayrmad

17 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

there's nothing more demoralising as a fan than watching hoofball with the wrong players. 

Welcome to the first half of this season, and he built that incapable squad.

Edited by Jamie_M

I quite liked his interview tbh, looking forward to having a team of b*****ds again. 

His comments about having to switch style of play are completely fine, and I don’t think it’s fair to say that Livingston didn’t play any football. There really isn’t anything wrong at times having direct play up to Wright and getting the likes of Smith and Walsh up close to him to take advantage of that. There is a huge difference between that and pointlessly lumping it up the park. 

4 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Welcome to the first half of this seaeon, and he built that incapable squad.

He'll need to work with what he's got for now, I've no real interest what fans of other clubs think, we would have been raging watching fat Shankland, I for one was very happy to pay my cash solely to see Sir Lawrence strutting his stuff. 

Having let the dust settle and read his interview with VOR, I do feel better about it. I'm positive he'll get us a mid table finish this season, and then we can make a proper judgement next season.

Multiple game plans, ice baths, and vegetarian food? 21/22 season will be interesting!

Having let the dust settle and read his interview with VOR, I do feel better about it. I'm positive he'll get us a mid table finish this season, and then we can make a proper judgement next season.

Multiple game plans, ice baths, and vegetarian food? 21/22 season will be interesting!
As long as it's not vegi burger vans when we get back