Next Ayr United manager

23 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I'm coming round to Petrie. However, is he a practical option? With a job outside football how quickly could he take the reigns full-time as there will be a notice period presumably. I could be worrying about nothing but given some of the full time jobs that have come up even in his geographic proximity has he actually applied for any?

As an aside, has anyone thrown their hat in the ring yet? 

They'd presumably pay Montrose a fee to get him immediately.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

What’s Dumbartons fans take on him?

As a short term appointment I think he’d be pretty decent for us.

In the situation you're in, he'd keep you up. It's about what you want after that.

He'll come in and inspire your current players and organise them better which will be enough to get you safe. The problem comes when he needs to put his own team together. He really is one of the worst operators I've seen in a transfer window. The first summer in charge he oversaw the entire squad leaving after low-balling them on new deals, then he fucked about doing nothing for weeks before finally attending an exit trial match about a week before the Betfred Cup started, where he signed 5 or 6 bodies. None of them good enough. He scrambled his way through that season with the late signing of Joe McKee, who was quite frankly ridiculous with his assists, and the loan of Regan Tumilty, but we were being tipped by many for a Brechin-esque season. 

Last summer we all hoped he'd learned his lesson but we seem to have dropped in quality yet again. He really does seem lazy when it comes to this stuff, it just takes far too long for signings to happen. I think most Sons fans are at the stage of thanking him for steadying the ship and moving on in the summer. Players love him, there's no doubt he's a good guy and will squeeze every last bit of effort out your players but there seems to be an enthusiasm for the job missing with Duffy. That may well change if he was back in full time football mind you. I reckon he'd keep Ayr in this division for as long as they wanted to be but I wouldn't have faith in him taking you upwards.

I’m still gl be convinced against Levin being my top choice.

you want someone with experience but also with experience at a decent level, gambling on part time managers or managers who have been good in the past but have been part time for years just doesn’t feel like a step forward.

Levin was a manager that has and still is around Scottish football with an knack of uncovering gems in the transfer market(cue Hearts fans with a lengthy list, he wouldn’t have the budget to take a chance on half the dross he signed for you).

If we don’t take him, Dundee will in about a fortnights time. almost getting Hearts relegated and 4-6-0 are what he will be remembered for but he has managed big clubs and at international level. Like McCall, this could be a last stepping stone to another bigger club or a chance to prove he isn’t yesterday’s man. 

Screenshot_20210301-140701_Twitter.thumb.jpg.00162feb67f775ab82274c537cf2a802.jpgSome utter fucking dump on that

There’s about 4 on that list I’d be happy with. That’s the reality though as you’re always going to have a fair amount of shite to get through to find the right guy.

I don’t think anyone will be surprised at the shite options on that list.

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

I’m still gl be convinced against Levin being my top choice.

you want someone with experience but also with experience at a decent level, gambling on part time managers or managers who have been good in the past but have been part time for years just doesn’t feel like a step forward.

Levin was a manager that has and still is around Scottish football with an knack of uncovering gems in the transfer market(cue Hearts fans with a lengthy list, he wouldn’t have the budget to take a chance on half the dross he signed for you).

If we don’t take him, Dundee will in about a fortnights time. almost getting Hearts relegated and 4-6-0 are what he will be remembered for but he has managed big clubs and at international level. Like McCall, this could be a last stepping stone to another bigger club or a chance to prove he isn’t yesterday’s man. 

My sons team had him on last night in a Zoom call and I have to say he came across really well answering every question that was put to him by the kids and parents, it actually over ran by about 30 minutes but he wasnt in a rush to end it either.

I think he deserves another go at club management. Like Petrie, its whether he'd consider a move West. Having someone like David Smith selling his dreams wont do us any harm in trying to punch above our weight in our new appointment. 

11 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

There’s about 4 on that list I’d be happy with. That’s the reality though as you’re always going to have a fair amount of shite to get through to find the right guy.

Petrie, Young, Houston and maybe Hopkin at a push, but the rest of them are poor imo

Edited by THEHonestman1910

6 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

My sons team had him on last night in a Zoom call and I have to say he came across really well answering every question that was put to him by the kids and parents, it actually over ran by about 30 minutes but he wasnt in a rush to end it either.

I think he deserves another go at club management. Like Petrie, its whether he'd consider a move West. Having someone like David Smith selling his dreams wont do us any harm in trying to punch above our weight in our new appointment. 

He’s not going to get the Hearts job again, or the Hibs job. 
probably not the Dundee United job again, so that leaves Fife, Livingston, Dundee or Motherwell, all around our level or have just hired a manager. If he wants a soonish return.....

14 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Stuart McCall could be classed as a bit of a different approach, he must have lots of decent contacts both here and in English lower leagues , comes across as pretty clued up and by all accounts is a good man manager , would prefer him to Hopkins or McIntyre 

Just now, Robbo63 said:

Stuart McCall could be classed as a bit of a different approach, he must have lots of decent contacts both here and in English lower leagues , comes across as pretty clued up and by all accounts is a good man manager , would prefer him to Hopkins or McIntyre 

He knows how to properly celebrate a promotion as well. The video wrongly says Motherwell but it was actually Bradford getting into the English Premier.

12 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

He’s not going to get the Hearts job again, or the Hibs job. 
probably not the Dundee United job again, so that leaves Fife, Livingston, Dundee or Motherwell, all around our level or have just hired a manager. If he wants a soonish return.....

When asked about getting back into management he said he'd look to get back for the right role. Said he had recently been interviewed for a job abroad so it shows he's clearly available.

Also pointed out the importance of bringing through players from Academy football if at all possible and also stated the importance of getting things right at an Academy, regardless of the time it takes, in order to produce players of as high a quality as possible. 

You could argue he's just stating the obvious for the purpose of a Zoom call but he has done so at his previous clubs. No reason why our own Academy couldn't / shouldn't be looked at and tweaked / overhauled if required.

Stevie Farrell and Ally McCoist been added too at 16/1 & 20/1

Stuart McCall would be a ballsy one, a guy who's certainly better than Scottish Championship level, makes you think if he did well he'd be offski at first job offer from Scottish Premiership or down south and use us as a stepping stone to get his career back on track. Suppose you could say Ian McCall did that too.

He'd be an expensive one too, especially if it went wrong!