How Do We Solve a Problem Like Obesity?

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

In Hong Kong they are into walking and exercise in general,  but it's not the case here in the Philippines.  They are quite lazy, basically, although a fair amount of the younger guys do weight training. The gym culture hasn't taken off here and they don't do jogging or cycling.  

They still have that outdated idea that being a little heavy is a sign of wealth - quite the opposite of western thinking.  My son is skinny and it's looked upon as a negative here yet his chubby classmates are considered cute being a tad overweight. 

I think part of this revolves round the heat. I’d say Indonesians are a little more active than Filipinos but not by much and you don’t see much outdoor exercise. In Singapore, most outdoor exercise (running/cycling) is done before 7am or after 8/9pm due to the heat. Even then its high 20’s/low 30’s 

Just now, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

I think part of this revolves round the heat. I’d say Indonesians are a little more active than Filipinos but not by much and you don’t see much outdoor exercise. In Singapore, most outdoor exercise (running/cycling) is done before 7am or after 8/9pm due to the heat. Even then its high 20’s/low 30’s 

To be fair, it could be like the London marathon in my place  before 7am as I'm not up until 8:30am!  

You're probably right though,  the heat and humidity here makes any physical activity daunting.

7 minutes ago, hk blues said:

To be fair, it could be like the London marathon in my place  before 7am as I'm not up until 8:30am!  

You're probably right though,  the heat and humidity here makes any physical activity daunting.

Not saying thats the only factor, laziness comes in to it as well as do other factors, including ‘status’ as you mention. 

I was going to edit the last  post to say the pedicab drivers are as lean as f**k (and have a pungent fragrance to go with their endeavours). 

You just need to step outside and within 5 minutes the sweat is pissing down, over your little neck towel, down your back and you haven’t even covered the couple hundred yards to 7-11 for your bottle Emperador

7 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Not saying thats the only factor, laziness comes in to it as well as do other factors, including ‘status’ as you mention. 

I was going to edit the last  post to say the pedicab drivers are as lean as f**k (and have a pungent fragrance to go with their endeavours). 

You just need to step outside and within 5 minutes the sweat is pissing down, over your little neck towel, down your back and you haven’t even covered the couple hundred yards to 7-11 for your bottle Emperador

A fair few of those pedicab/ trycicad guys are a fair age as well.  We got one to pick up a balikbyan box from the security gate - the biggest size too.  He manhandled it off the bike and into the living room himself and was even up for taking it upstairs but I told him nah, the wife will sort it later! 

I'm lucky  that my nearest sari sari is no more than 20 steps from our house so the wife can easily carry the San Mig crate once a week back and forward!  I buy the SM light so it's easier for her anyway 😂

14 hours ago, virginton said:

They're certainly tipping the scale in one direction, given that nearly two-thirds of the population are fatties.

This is going by the BMI scale which doesn’t tel the full story though. If you’re in the overweight BMI category you aren’t always a fatty.

7 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

What physical work do you think people in Japan and Korea are doing? They've got exactly the same office jobs as people in The West.

The majority of jobs in the UK are not office jobs. Retail, care, cleaning and maintenance, hospitality, food production, manufacturing, construction, agriculture and other non office based work compromise a significant majority of the work force. 

The media like to promote the idea that the average person worked 9-5 in an office and now is WFH but it's just the usual gaslighting bullshit. 

Edited by Detournement

4 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The majority of jobs in the UK are not office jobs. Retail, care, cleaning and maintenance, hospitality, food production, manufacturing, construction, agriculture and other non office based work compromise a significant majority of the work force. 

The media like to promote the idea that the average person worked 9-5 in an office and now is WFH but it's just the usual gaslighting bullshit. 

Who do you think does those types of work in Japan or Korea?  Sure, some are done by immigrants but isn't that also the case here?

8 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Who do you think does those types of work in Japan or Korea?  Sure, some are done by immigrants but isn't that also the case here?

I agree it will be the same there. I was replying to the guy who was implying the majority of people here have office jobs. 

19 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Aye, cracking idea.  How would you like a 25 stoner skipping in the flat above you.

Out in the street. Like the NHS clap thing, everyone out at 8pm each day to skip for 15 minutes.

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

That advice was for GordonS but I just knew I was wasting my time going to that effort with you guys. :lol:

It's deleted now so relax.

If GordonS is interested he can ask both of you what help I offered him.

I'm sure you can both help him to an equal extent.

Enjoy your sleep the pair of you. 

If he'd  read that he'd  be hanging out the loft by now.

Guest TheJTS98
1 hour ago, Detournement said:

I agree it will be the same there. I was replying to the guy who was implying the majority of people here have office jobs. 

I wasn't implying that. I was pointing out that the assumption that work in Korea or Japan varies wildly in nature from work in the UK is wrong.