Dunfermline Athletic v Greenock Morton

As if Morton turning in a performance out of nowhere to claim 3 points in Inverness wasn't enough to confuse expectations for this one, we throw a manager change completely out of the blue into the mix.

Most Morton fans would hope for much the same team as Tuesday (possibly with Strapp back in if fit) but no clue what ideas the new manager may have.

The good news is he did watch the Ayr and Inverness games, as well as a few others, so he will have some idea of what players have put in a performance and who stank last Saturday.

If we could get a similar new manager bounce to our last visit then that would be just perfect.

Hoping for a Raith win in Inverness tonight. Hopefully knowing that result in advance doesn't give your lot added incentive tomorrow.

Oh yeah, fitbaw n that. Lost quite a bit of interest in the whole thing. We have no momentum, apart from perhaps slowly rolling backwards.

The whole "every team can beat every other team" which has been used as a positive for the Championship has got a bit old and stale. I'm no fussed what Inverness or Dundee or whatever do this week because they'll no do it next week and neither will we. 

Errrmm...1-1?  Would take that. 

1 hour ago, Stoo61 said:

Oh yeah, fitbaw n that. Lost quite a bit of interest in the whole thing. We have no momentum, apart from perhaps slowly rolling backwards.

The whole "every team can beat every other team" which has been used as a positive for the Championship has got a bit old and stale. I'm no fussed what Inverness or Dundee or whatever do this week because they'll no do it next week and neither will we. 

Ok, fine. how about you take a 1-0 loss this week and you can have a victory next week?

53 minutes ago, We Are Pars Fans! said:

Morton are 5/1 which seems mental

It's the championship.

Hope a few of the boys rellies see this as an investment opportunity. 

(Mind all that gambling pish, set limits and keep within your means, take time out etc)

Anyhow had just about given up after the Ayr game and Anton's substitutions that day now a new lease of life.

Good to hear Gus had viewed our last few games so good chance he will go with Tuesday nights players. Hope we afford Strapp a bit longer to recover and be ready for the run in.

Would be happy with a draw unless I grab some of that 5/1

8 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

A sentiment which Morton fans can entirely get on board with now as well.

Even after his time as CEO, and all the things I've heard about what went on in the background at the club, I just can't get behind this. He was probably my first footballing hero, and I can't see past that.

On 10/03/2021 at 09:49, Jamie_M said:

Aye, fair fucks. Not sure anyone expected that but can go into this one with a bit more confidence.

'Should', but I really don't see Anton dropping his captain so if Strapp came back in I would expect him to reshuffle and put Strapp to left back, McGinty in the centre and Fjortoft back out. 

Crazy to say it but Strapp might be best sitting out and going same again.

Dunfermline, if you could continue to be shite against us after all, that would be just magic.

All change again Jamie eh?....if a week is a long time in politics....24 hours in football is a lifetime...lol

New manager bounce......McGinn....whats not to like?

Onwards and Upwards..... MON EH' TON!!!

3 hours ago, Paisley Ton said:

It's the championship.

Hope a few of the boys rellies see this as an investment opportunity. 

(Mind all that gambling pish, set limits and keep within your means, take time out etc)

Anyhow had just about given up after the Ayr game and Anton's substitutions that day now a new lease of life.

Good to hear Gus had viewed our last few games so good chance he will go with Tuesday nights players. Hope we afford Strapp a bit longer to recover and be ready for the run in.

Would be happy with a draw unless I grab some of that 5/1

Nope....away win and nothing less.

3 hours ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

Even after his time as CEO, and all the things I've heard about what went on in the background at the club, I just can't get behind this. He was probably my first footballing hero, and I can't see past that.

You're not talking about David McKinnon .......surely?

Be interesting to see who starts for us today, particularly in defence given the injuries and suspensions.

I'd quite like to see us try to actually create chances. Maybe put some crosses in to the box? Maybe try and play in the strikers for a chance to shoot? Maybe take a few more shots from the edge of the box?

Please.

Two up top would be great if we could set the rest of the team set-up effectively but every time Stevie has done this, the central midfield has been all over the place. His attempts at 4-4-2 have been about as bad as AJ's attempts at playing 3-5-2.

I think maybe trying 4-3-3 with Murray the wide option and Banks playing behind Wighton. Thomas is a man down these days , so pointless trying two wingers. Two central midfielders and a deep sitting midfielder protecting the back four. 

Stevie has only confirmed that Mayo, Martin and Dow are out, so based on what's left I would go with something like this.

----------------------OFW--------------

Comrie---Watson------E.Murray----Edwards

--------------------Whittaker----------------------

-----------Wilson------------McInroy-------------

-----------------Banks/McManus-------------------F.Murray

--------------------Wighton------------------------

Pretty much the set-up Jim Jeffries when with when he started the 11/12 season

Edited by Chubbychops

I've thought for a while that 4-2-3-1 would suit us pretty well when the likes of Turner, Dow and even McManus would be the three as they will all track back to help the two sitting midfielders (Whittaker and Wilson maybe?) and could offer quite a lot going forward, but some folk see the "1" at the end and think it's an overly negative system. We need to create more, and having creativity in the middle of the park is a better way to do that than sticking two up top and shelling long balls up to them.

29 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Mcinroy isn't the answer.

Yeah, I think he's a good player but his decision making lets him down and I think he wants too much time on the ball. I would have Turner in before him too but I think Turner's time is up at East End for whatever reason.

Protect the back four? From what? Morton won't be lining up in an attacking way and we let every team shoot from distance regardless, even though there's a decent chance said shot will go in due to Ghost Wrists in goals.

We were playing 4-2-3-1 for most of the first half of the season and it seemed to be our best formation. 

I don't think formations are really our issue though. It's how we play and the mentality of the team, neither of which have been right for a long time.

Edited by DA Baracus

1 hour ago, Chubbychops said:

Yeah, I think he's a good player but his decision making lets him down and I think he wants too much time on the ball. I would have Turner in before him too but I think Turner's time is up at East End for whatever reason.

Aye that's a shitter. Wonder what he did. Does come across a little of a nose/face spite situation (emphasis on a little as he isn't vital to the team but we are better off with him than without).