Sarah Everard

4 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

It's particularly egregious in this case that their response is basically "nah, he's not a real police officer, there's nothing for us to change or learn from here."

We've all seen variations of that line before, eg when a fan of any football club shouts something racist, among the condemnations someone will say "they're not a real fan of this club", essentially setting that person apart from the rest of the supporters and absolving people of the need to acknowledge there are racist bellends among their fellow fans.

The Met using it here is obviously so much worse and is as mendacious as it could possibly be. "We do not view him as a police officer" when this couldn't have happened if he wasn't a police officer. He used the fact of being a police officer to arrest Sarah Everard. She didn't resist and bystanders didn't intervene as he kidnapped her because they saw an arrest. She was literally in police custody from the moment of that arrest through everything he did. Yet the Met are trying to dismiss the fact of him being a police officer as some sort of irrelevance and play the bad apple card. Utterly vile.

Doesn't fill you with confidence that this will result in root and branch reform does it.

7 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It's strange hearing that he was crying. The murderers that have planned and carried out a 'random' killing don't usually display self pity. What the f**k did he think was going to happen when he decided to abduct a woman off the street off the busiest city in the country?

He probably thought he would get away with it as he was a police officer and therefore, untouchable. The c**t.

13 minutes ago, throbber said:

He was of pretty good character and had a wife and kids.

Does having a wife and kids really mean anything though? It's a weird idyllic value that we've put on society, that simply having a wife and kids must mean you're at least some level of a decent guy, but it beautifully ignores the fact that a high number of psycho/sociopaths can easily hold down what looks like a normal life to the rest of us. It's what they do, imitate and manipulate. Media likes to paint pictures of murderers being loners/abused/mentally ill to make the normal people in society feel better about their life, it scares people to think that "a good family man" could ever do such a thing, but they do these things all the time. 

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Piers Corbyn is the British version of the Westboro Baptist Church.

I genuinely didn't know Piers Corbyn was a thing and when I saw folk mention him on here on other threads I thought it was some sort of joke I didn't get about folk confusing Piers Morgan and Jeremy Corbyn. Such a shame that there's actually a Piers Corbyn and this is the sort of shite he gets up to. 

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I genuinely didn't know Piers Corbyn was a thing and when I saw folk mention him on here on other threads I thought it was some sort of joke I didn't get about folk confusing Piers Morgan and Jeremy Corbyn.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought like this!

20 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It's strange hearing that he was crying. The murderers that have planned and carried out a 'random' killing don't usually display self pity. What the f**k did he think was going to happen when he decided to abduct a woman off the street off the busiest city in the country?

Perhaps have some hope that one day he'd be able to have some freedom following a lengthy prison sentence?  Knowing that you'll never have another luxury ever again and will be watching your back until your dying day must be pretty rough for even the worst of people, not that I feel much pity for him.

Sent from my old laptop using Chrome. 

2 hours ago, RiG said:

The defence arguing that Couzens should get a lighter sentence (i.e. chance of parole at 80 rather than full life) because he didn't intend to murder Everard is some stance to take. The judge appears to be seen straight through that stating Couzens must have realised he may need to kill the woman he planed to kidnap and rape.

ETA: Judge states that whole life sentences should only be used in exceptional circumstances. In his judgement, misuse of a police officers role is considered exceptional. Couzens sentenced to a whole life term for the kidnap, rape and murder of Everard.

Did they really say that?

What was his intention then?  A rape that got out of hand?  Give me strength.

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I accept that, but I also think that the Police aren’t a normal employer and that, due to the position of power they are put in, they have an extra responsibility when it comes to ensuring everyone in their employ is fit to be there.

The facility exists I'm  sure but people tend not to use it. If there was formal complaints made they will be in trouble. If it was canteen banter..."oh here's  Rapey Wayne" it's more likely the person who said it would be investigated.

25 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Perhaps have some hope that one day he'd be able to have some freedom following a lengthy prison sentence?  Knowing that you'll never have another luxury ever again and will be watching your back until your dying day must be pretty rough for even the worst of people, not that I feel much pity for him.

Sent from my old laptop using Chrome. 

He'll  be on the ps4, waiting for the Spurs game starting by now.

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The facility exists I'm  sure but people tend not to use it. If there was formal complaints made they will be in trouble. If it was canteen banter..."oh here's  Rapey Wayne" it's more likely the person who said it would be investigated.

I’m not talking about investigating the nickname, I’m talking about investigating the behaviours that led to the nickname. 

32 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Does having a wife and kids really mean anything though? It's a weird idyllic value that we've put on society, that simply having a wife and kids must mean you're at least some level of a decent guy, but it beautifully ignores the fact that a high number of psycho/sociopaths can easily hold down what looks like a normal life to the rest of us. It's what they do, imitate and manipulate. Media likes to paint pictures of murderers being loners/abused/mentally ill to make the normal people in society feel better about their life, it scares people to think that "a good family man" could ever do such a thing, but they do these things all the time. 

Peter Sutcliffe appeared to be a normal guy.  the only reason he didn't have kids was his wife couldn't conceive.  Appearing normal means hee-haw.  As you say most people that commit diabolical crimes appear normal until they're caught.

Just now, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’m not talking about investigating the nickname, I’m talking about investigating the behaviours that led to the nickname. 

So was I. No employer can have formal investigation that could result in dismissal without an equally formal complaint. Thinking someone is a bit weird and rumours won't  do. 

11 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Did they really say that?

What was his intention then?  A rape that got out of hand?  Give me strength.

That was the argument put forward by the defence. See this Twitter thread:

As mentioned above the judge didn't agree with this noting that it is hard to believe that Couzens did not intend to kill whoever his victim would be after kidnapping and raping her.

Edited by RiG

45 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I genuinely didn't know Piers Corbyn was a thing and when I saw folk mention him on here on other threads I thought it was some sort of joke I didn't get about folk confusing Piers Morgan and Jeremy Corbyn. Such a shame that there's actually a Piers Corbyn and this is the sort of shite he gets up to. 

Didn't John Wayne Gacy have a wife & kids? 'Pillar of the community' etc?

7 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

So was I. No employer can have formal investigation that could result in dismissal without an equally formal complaint. Thinking someone is a bit weird and rumours won't  do. 

I know, but what I’m saying is that (seemingly) no one thought to formally report whatever led to him being nicknamed “the rapist” maybe suggests an institutional problem within the police. Further illustrated by this…

5 minutes ago, RiG said:

That was the argument put forward by the defence. See this Twitter thread:

As mentioned above the judge didn't agree with this noting that it is hard to believe that Couzens did not intend to kill whoever his victim would be after kidnapping and raping her.

I appreciate it was lockdown and quiter, but I wonder how many he let go past? Did he have it in mind that he was going to prey on a good looking girl? Did that matter to him or was  it just opportunity?

42 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Ted Bundy had a wife, a child, a promising career as a lawyer and was even a church elder.  For those who knew him, an all round good guy apart from killing lots and lots of women in his spare time.  Not looking like a monster allowed him to keep going longer.

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I appreciate it was lockdown and quiter, but I wonder how many he let go past? Did he have it in mind that he was going to prey on a good looking girl? Did that matter to him or was  it just opportunity?

Paragraph four of the sentencing remarks covers this to some extent. Couzens had undertaken some reconnaissance of the area and on the night had covered "extensive distances" looking for someone.