Lyndon Dykes

edinabear

43 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Spent two hours with the nephew yesterday scraping 'Dykes' off the back of his Scotland shirt. Poor lad is distraught at how shite he's become.

He surely must remember the couple of flick ons he won against Spain 🤷‍♂️

9 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Yeah, I completely agree - I’m not sure why Clarke just seems to hate the idea of playing Christie where he has now shown he is more effective. 

There’s a reason he wasn’t getting a game for Bournemouth as an attacking midfielder.

He would complement Gilmour well too, so it is frustrating. McLean doesn’t IMO. 

It really is baffling especially since we have moved to a four at the back and now McGregor has retired.

Can only assume he thinks Christie is the only viable option for the left wing role

2 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Completely devalues any kind of point around Dykes when you pretend he wasn’t excellent against Spain. 

I wasnt being entirely serious. I've got no issue with Dykes tbh he turns up every time and gives everything he has, which is all you can ask.

He was good for scotland for a while but it's been a while. Club form he's been absolutely terrible. And the international performances just don't back him up even being in the squad anymore.

2 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Yeah, I completely agree - I’m not sure why Clarke just seems to hate the idea of playing Christie where he has now shown he is more effective. 

There’s a reason he wasn’t getting a game for Bournemouth as an attacking midfielder.

He would complement Gilmour well too, so it is frustrating. McLean doesn’t IMO. 

My take on that is that Clarke is fixated with Christie’s proficiency in the high press (with apologies for the modern hipster football terminology).

As has been pointed out though, particularly now with McGregor gone he’d be far more suited to a deeper role for us. We have Mcginn and now Doak who can play further forward and lead the press if necessary. Dykes can also be good at it. Clarke seems wedded to Christie’s current role though and I agree it’s now to our detriment. 

7 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

My take on that is that Clarke is fixated with Christie’s proficiency in the high press (with apologies for the modern hipster football terminology).

As has been pointed out though, particularly now with McGregor gone he’d be far more suited to a deeper role for us. We have Mcginn and now Doak who can play further forward and lead the press if necessary. Dykes can also be good at it. Clarke seems wedded to Christie’s current role though and I agree it’s now to our detriment. 

My take on it is Clarke hates change

As Strachan did in the death throws of his tenure

5 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

No idea what that has to do with anything - you were implying he did nothing against Spain other than win a couple of flick ons. 

Winning headers and rummeling up defenders is literally his entire game. His G/A is poor.

I don't actually care how he played in that one off game. It's irrelevant to why he's in the squad now.

On 06/10/2024 at 07:00, Quentin Taranbino said:

I'm not Dykes biggest fan but he was decent(ish) in the most recent games for us and deserves a grace period to some extent.

He's already had that imo. 

12 hours ago, Binos said:

My take on it is Clarke hates change

As Strachan did in the death throws of his tenure

Clarke hates change, but went to 4atb for the last two games and (I'm sure the data will support it) has given debuts to more players than almost any other manager, as well as using a huge number of different players in 6 years?

Clarke is stubborn, but he doesn't suffer the problems Strachan did (failure to re-build an ageing team and picking the same faces etc).

Edit: found the Twitter account that keeps track.  Eamonn Brophy was the 1,198th debut awarded by SC in June 2019.

Ross McRorie was #1,230 in March of this year.  It's not been updated since, but I'd add Gauld, Doak, and Conway to make that 1,233 - so 36 players given their first game by SC?

There's a further 4 uncapped players in the current squad, and a handful called up recently but remaining uncapped (Johnston, Doig, Barron etc)

I presume Berti capped more, but given this is our most successful period in recent history, and we do have a settled XI (outwith injuries), that doesn't speak to a manger who is exactly set in his ways...

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

1 hour ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Clarke hates change, but went to 4atb for the last two games and (I'm sure the data will support it) has given debuts to more players than almost any other manager, as well as using a huge number of different players in 6 years?

Clarke is stubborn, but he doesn't suffer the problems Strachan did (failure to re-build an ageing team and picking the same faces etc).

Edit: found the Twitter account that keeps track.  Eamonn Brophy was the 1,198th debut awarded by SC in June 2019.

Ross McRorie was #1,230 in March of this year.  It's not been updated since, but I'd add Gauld, Doak, and Conway to make that 1,233 - so 36 players given their first game by SC?

There's a further 4 uncapped players in the current squad, and a handful called up recently but remaining uncapped (Johnston, Doig, Barron etc)

I presume Berti capped more, but given this is our most successful period in recent history, and we do have a settled XI (outwith injuries), that doesn't speak to a manger who is exactly set in his ways...

This sort of data can be interpreted in all sorts of ways.

First of all, the drop off in quality from Strachan's best 11 to the wider player pool was greater than that of Clarke's. 

Secondly, Clarke is simply picking the best available players for his squads, he isn't do anything out of the ordinary and any manager in his place would be picking the same players barring the odd player here or there that will most likely be a squad filler anyway IMO.

Clarke has made changes to the formation at times but it is often too little too late, Euros being the prime example of that.

Also, only selecting Gauld now then we have been crying out for game changers in our team for years was baffling and I believe that is simply a case of Clarke thinking he knew best and got it all wrong. 

I still don't understand why Max Johnston hasn't been promoted since Patterson and Hickey have been injured and the same goes for Doig being overlooked in favour of Greg f**king Taylor!

59 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Johnston has barely started a club game in a year, and Doig is playing in Serie B. I don't think either of them are in any way obviously better than the ones who have been picked.

Johnston is only 20, has recently started in the champions league and well how are we supposed to know how they are in this squad when Clarke constantly overlooks both him and Doig?

I certainly know from watching Ralston, Taylor and McCrorie that they are very limited players and in Ralston's case, is actually costing us goals.

Edited by Butters Scotch

They've both been in the squad several times, so I don't think you can really say they've been overlooked. They've specifically been kept in the U21s this time because there's an important game at that level which would be better than sitting on the bench for the senior squad.

Just because the players in the squad aren't brilliant doesn't mean that every alternative is automatically better.

10 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Just because the players in the squad aren't brilliant doesn't mean that every alternative is automatically better.

Can you quote anyone saying every alternative is automatically better? 

People are saying specific alternatives are or could be better, but are not getting a chance. Despite us knowing the players they would replace are not and will never be good enough.

Take your steve clarke specs off and you may have a more balanced view.

7 hours ago, Old Bing said:

Can you quote anyone saying every alternative is automatically better? 

People are saying specific alternatives are or could be better, but are not getting a chance. Despite us knowing the players they would replace are not and will never be good enough.

Take your steve clarke specs off and you may have a more balanced view.

He'll never criticise Clarke because of the Kilmarnock link.

They won't get a chance under Clarke because he only picks his boys.
Hanley is another one who is about done at club level yet he's an automatic pick for Scotland. He's not going to be match fit. He'll be blowing out his arse after 60 minutes.

4 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

He'll never criticise Clarke because of the Kilmarnock link.

They won't get a chance under Clarke because he only picks his boys.
Hanley is another one who is about done at club level yet he's an automatic pick for Scotland. He's not going to be match fit. He'll be blowing out his arse after 60 minutes.

About done? He is totally done. If Clarke starts him it would be scandalous 

On 06/10/2024 at 09:52, No_Problemo said:

At the end of the Portugal game, I was pretty convinced that Dykes was our best option up front. However, I did say that was also to do with our style of play suiting him better with Adams. Dykes is having a woeful time, we absolutely have to move away from needing to fire the ball up the park to a big guy to get up the park. 

Three in behind Adams of McTominay, Gauld and Doak with Gilmour and Christie in behind them can absolutely do that. 

I’m pretty confident we will continue to play in the same way though, so there isn’t much point starting Adams - unless as a number ten. 

Christie has played CDM for a season and a half. The Bournmouth fans think he is great in that position. 

I argued for him replacing McGregor alongside Gilmour in tbe pivot since at least before the euros.

Ffs Stevie Clark he is leagues above McLean in that position. 

Then we can also fit a Gauld or Doak type player in to the team.