Lyndon Dykes

edinabear

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

I hadn't considered the chance conversion comparison, but yeah I think you're right. Do you have stats or anything? Would be interesting to see.

Stats?

Hell, no.

I just like to adopt a flimsy stance based on my own, narrow, prejudice ridden observations, then defend it to the death.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

I hadn't considered the chance conversion comparison, but yeah I think you're right. Do you have stats or anything? Would be interesting to see.

Thinking back over Dykes' time in a Scotland jersey, no obvious "misses" spring to mind.

The one at the end of the first half in the Spain game springs to mind, but generally I agree. Even with that chance he did some great work to create the chance for himself in the first place. 

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

He converts chances at a far greater rate than Miller ever did at international level.

This is remarkable, given their respective goal scoring records for their clubs.

Dykes 9 goals from 29 caps.

Miller 18 goals from 69 caps.

So Lyndon shading it, although Kenny should have scored closer to 30.

9 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's just goals per game.

It doesn't address chance conversion at all.

That's why I said Miller should've had closer to 30 goals. Although you could argue he was better at getting himself into scoring positions than Dykes.

9 goals for Scotland now, 7 of which have come in games which we’ve won by a single goal.

He’s a pivotal player who has turned up for us in vital moments. When he switched to us, I never thought he’d get 9 caps, never mind 9 goals. Fair play to him.

3 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Thinking back over Dykes' time in a Scotland jersey, no obvious "misses" spring to mind.

He's missed a few tbf but they were either in games where it didn't matter or there were other things to focus on. 

53 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

9 goals for Scotland now, 7 of which have come in games which we’ve won by a single goal.

And the other two were to seal a huge win. 

We wouldn’t have made the playoffs for the World Cup if not for him scoring the only goal in three 1-0 wins in the autumn of 2021, including a very late winner in Torshavn despite an awful performance from the team. 

He also got the equaliser against Israel before McTominay won us the game. That goal was initially ruled out by the ref for a foul by Dykes which he was booked for but VAR reinstated the goal and cancelled his booking.

Big game player. 

I’m a big fan of Lyndons & the anticipation & determination to be first to the sloppy defending was immense, there’s plenty of strikers who would have tried to turn & shoot for the second also, but he made the correct decision seeing Kenny was in a far better position. 

Yeah I think it can't be overstated how both his goal and assist were anything but "lucky".

For the goal, yes the Norwegian got cramp, but Dykes' quickness of foot and mind and the deftness of the finish were sublime.

The assist has zero asterisks against it - outstanding forward play in terms of vision, awareness and touch.

He definitely can look like a baby giraffe at times, but so often now he's been the difference maker for us. I think he's ahead of Adams just now.

4 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Yeah I think it can't be overstated how both his goal and assist were anything but "lucky".

For the goal, yes the Norwegian got cramp, but Dykes' quickness of foot and mind and the deftness of the finish were sublime.

The assist has zero asterisks against it - outstanding forward play in terms of vision, awareness and touch.

He definitely can look like a baby giraffe at times, but so often now he's been the difference maker for us. I think he's ahead of Adams just now.

I think it depends on the opponent but his play in the penalty box is far better than Adams imo. I'd back him to put away a half chance ten times out of ten over Adams.

• 2 months later...

Important questions regarding BDD!!!

Are we wanting Baldy Dykes or Hairy Dykes playing tomorrow???

And if starting, which English defender do we want him to nail immediately from kick off this time???

• 2 weeks later...