Lyndon Dykes

edinabear

7 hours ago, TONTROOPER said:

He scores goals for Scotland.

End of.

Important goals too. When he has bad games (which tbh have been few and far between) he looks miles out of his depth, but he's been such a useful addition. Would still have Adams as first choice but it's great to have the option. 

When Dykes came into the Scotland set up nobody could have foreseen the impact he he has had.  He's contributed massively to scotland's recent success and long may he be a option for us up front. 

4 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I think it's fair comment to say we play more direct when Dykes is in the team than with Adams. Not a bad thing necessarily, but like was said above if we lose then we'll see more people lapping up the Souness "Scotland looked like a team from the past" type comments.

Which we don't need to do. He's far better technically with the ball at his feet than he is in the air. 

He's brave, gives his all, never backs out of a challenge, takes a lot of punishment, ploughs a lonely furrow, never complains about lack of support, knows his job and does it well, I'd start him ahead of Adams who I don't rate ever since the game (maybe against England) when he pulled out of a header,  for fear of getting hurt, dykes would have gone all in

35 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

He's in the mould of Kenny Miller and that's no bad thing, a cult heroe for the ages

He converts chances at a far greater rate than Miller ever did at international level.

This is remarkable, given their respective goal scoring records for their clubs.

26 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

He converts chances at a far greater rate than Miller ever did at international level.

This is remarkable, given their respective goal scoring records for their clubs.

The hold up play and sheer nuisance value is just as important as goals though, as we showed again last night, there's goals throughout this team, we may want a prolific striker but IMO a dykes type is far more suited to Scotland.

49 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

He's brave, gives his all, never backs out of a challenge, takes a lot of punishment, ploughs a lonely furrow, never complains about lack of support, knows his job and does it well, I'd start him ahead of Adams who I don't rate ever since the game (maybe against England) when he pulled out of a header,  for fear of getting hurt, dykes would have gone all in

You don’t rate Adams, despite him being excellent numerous times since this apparent event that no one else has any recollection of. 

He's one of these rare players that just seems come alive when he plays interantional football. Most fans if they were looking through our squad before playing us would see Dykes' career and think he's an absolute haddy at international level and nothing to worry about. But he just seems to be able to find an extra level in a Scotland shirt, which makes fucking easy to love him.

We all know he's not of the level of someone like Haaland but yesterday was a perfect example of what he does for us. Does a hard fucking shift and exactly what's asked of him. Work hard, keep their defence occupied, give us an attacking focal point, feed off of scraps, and take your chances when they come.

When Haaland seems to do nothing with the ball for most of the game then pops up with a goal and an assist for Man City, folk cum in their pants. But there's almost this feeling that that isn't quite good enough for Lyndon Dykes. Away.

plus he's a good lad, top bloke. Probably be good company to have around on the piss along with McGinn, McLean, Robbo and wee Greg Taylor which counts for a lot in my book.

plus KT too*

Edited by 2426255

6 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

plus he's a good lad, top bloke. Probably be good company to have around on the piss along with McGinn, McLean, Robbo and wee Greg Taylor which counts for a lot in my book.

plus KT too*

Kt doesn’t drink 

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I hadn't considered the chance conversion comparison, but yeah I think you're right. Do you have stats or anything? Would be interesting to see.

Thinking back over Dykes' time in a Scotland jersey, no obvious "misses" spring to mind.