Lyndon Dykes

edinabear

1 minute ago, Jacky1990 said:

Eh?

Never said he didnt. He actually played for 5 teams in Australia before making his mark over here.

But hes playing for Scotland off the progression he made from QotS > Livi > QPR. That much is undeniable and a weird thing to be arguing against.

Or are you just killing time til it gets dark and the moon comes out for you to howl at?

Coming through means coming through and signing first for that team,so stop arguing when you were wrong 

To much off that in here at the moment no sensibility or civility in here anymore these days 

3 hours ago, General dissaray said:

I don't want to throw a stinking hot wet stinking bucket off pish over the love fest,but he had two teams in Australia before he came to Scotland so QOS and Livvy hardly brought him though as much as you want that to be true 

We were a massive part in his development. He was used on the wing at QotS prior at times. Martindale moulded him into a physical target man striker. Dykes even admitted that before he came to Livi he could barely head the ball and avoided doing so normally. 

Dykes himself has even credited Martindale for being one of the biggest influences on his career, so in that fact I'd say Livi were integral in the development of one of the best strikers Scotland has seen in a long time.

13 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

We were a massive part in his development. He was used on the wing at QotS prior at times. Martindale moulded him into a physical target man striker. Dykes even admitted that before he came to Livi he could barely head the ball and avoided doing so normally. 

Dykes himself has even credited Martindale for being one of the biggest influences on his career, so in that fact I'd say Livi were integral in the development of one of the best strikers Scotland has seen in a long time.

Fair enough 

4 hours ago, General dissaray said:

I don't want to throw a stinking hot wet stinking bucket off pish over the love fest,but he had two teams in Australia before he came to Scotland so QOS and Livvy hardly brought him though as much as you want that to be true 

Er, what exactly are we calling "coming through" here? He was with a few amateur youth sides in Australia. Lets not pretend he was being developed by the Australian equivalent of an Old Firm youth system. He wasn't. He hadn't been with a professional club prior to signing for Queen of the South as an 18 year old. Queen of the South gave him his first professional contract. He did play for one professional Australian club in Gold Coast City. For a single month, when he was 19, during a year back in Australia after first playing for us.

I'd absolutely contend Queen of the South brought him through. We had him from 18 to 22 apart from a period of a year when he returned to Australia homesick. We gave him his professional debut after graduating him through the Development League West team.

41 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

And can we stop exaggerating with this "QoS played him on the wing" stuff. He did make his breakthrough playing wide under Gavin Skelton at a time when Stephen Dobbie and Derek Lyle were playing centrally. After Gary Naysmith took over he very rarely played wide for us in his last 2 years. He did play in behind Dobbie sometimes and in front of Dobbie sometimes. He was a 'targetman' long before he reached Livi and he certainly could head a ball before then too. What he wasn't was a focal point striker, as his job was to clear space for and set up goals for Dobbie. A job he did very well (which is a big reason Dobbie got 43 goals in Dykes last season with us despite missing two months injured). Martindale turned him into a focus for an attack and certainly added more goals to his game. That wasn't his main role with us. He maybe taught him to head it "at" goal, but he was always good in the air.

Martindale and Livingston were clearly a massive part of Dykes' development also though and he does credit Martindale with being the best coach he's worked under prior to his move to QPR.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Er, what exactly are we calling "coming through" here? He was with a few amateur sides in Australia. Lets not pretend he was being developed by the Australian equivalent of an Old Firm youth system. He wasn't. He hadn't been with a professional club prior to signing for Queen of the South as an 18 year old. He did play for one professional Australian club in Gold Coast City. For a single month, When he was 19.

I'd absolutely contend Queen of the South brought him through. We had him from 18 to 22 apart from a period of a year when he returned to Australia homesick. We gave him his professional debut after graduating him through the Development League West team.

And can we stop exaggerating with this "QoS played him on the wing" stuff. He did make his breakthrough playing wide under Gavin Skelton at a time when Stephen Dobbie and Derek Lyle were playing centrally. After Gary Naysmith took over he very rarely played wide for us in his last 2 years. He did play in behind Dobbie sometimes and in front of Dobbie sometimes. He was a 'targetman' long before he reached Livi and he certainly could head a ball before then too. What he wasn't was a focal point striker, as his job was to clear space for and set up goals for Dobbie. A job he did very well (which is a big reason Dobbie got 43 goals in Dykes last season with us despite missing two months injured). Martindale turned him into a focus for an attack and certainly added more goals to his game. That wasn't his main role with us. He maybe taught him to head it "at" goal, but he was always good in the air.

Martindale and Livingston were clearly a massive part of Dykes' development also though and he does credit Martindale with being the best coach he's worked under prior to his move to QPR.

Dobbie, lyle and dykes

Surprised didn't get promoted 

Big man is the top scorer off all our qualfiers,yet somehow we have managed to play our best football in the last two games without him

I aren't having a go at him,think his contribution to this campaign has been nothing short of fantastic and the stats show that we would be lost without him

Football is suprising though sometimes,most people and me included would have said that we would have struggled without him and we didn't 

And when we weren't searching for the easy long ball to a target man

We played high intensity high energy football and were fantastic at hitting a top team on the counter attack

Two clever players with guile and pose and creativity that can find space set up chance after chance for a speedy striker that relies on pace and movement 

Food for thought moving forward 

• 1 month later...

No shortage of rumours flying around about Dykes leaving QPR with every club under the sun seemingly linked to him. As far as I know he is quite happy at QPR and has a contract until 2024 so I wouldn't automatically think his agent would be playing any games and it wouldn't surprise me if there is genuine interest. Whether he should move is a whole different question. 

5 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

No shortage of rumours flying around about Dykes leaving QPR with every club under the sun seemingly linked to him. As far as I know he is quite happy at QPR and has a contract until 2024 so I wouldn't automatically think his agent would be playing any games and it wouldn't surprise me if there is genuine interest. Whether he should move is a whole different question. 

He could make a small fortune at Newcastle, so no one could resent him taking the opportunity, even if it might not be the ‘best’ move footballing wise.

Burnley or Crystal Palace? I could see him fitting in at both, but Burnley look like relegation fodder.

Having him play with Christie at Bournemouth could be useful and you’d expect them to get promoted.

Either way, interest always shows a player is doing something right.

23 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

He could make a small fortune at Newcastle, so no one could resent him taking the opportunity, even if it might not be the ‘best’ move footballing wise.

Burnley or Crystal Palace? I could see him fitting in at both, but Burnley look like relegation fodder.

Having him play with Christie at Bournemouth could be useful and you’d expect them to get promoted.

Either way, interest always shows a player is doing something right.

I'd like to see him finish the season strongly with QPR and help them reach the playoffs. I think that would be the best from a Scotland point of view. You are right thought that if an EPL club comes calling neither QPR nor Dykes are really going to refuse and I agree a link up with Christie at Bournemouth would be interesting.

The clubs linked are Newcastle, Burnley, Norwich, Bournemouth, Brighton, Crystal Palace and Rangers which makes it sound like his agent is putting his name about so maybe he is just looking for an improved deal.

Edited by 2426255

Are these rumours Scottish based?

I like Dykes but do people think he would be a starter for an EPL team? Apart from a side likely to be relegated like Norwich or Burney I have my doubts he'd get a game for many of the sides mentioned. Brighton need a goalscorer and Dykes is not what they need. Bournemouth paid a lot of money for Solanke which is finally bearing fruit, Newcastle will not have long term plans for him and do you think he replaces Edouard or Benteke at Palace?

For football reasons I personally think he's better staying put at QPR but if he gets an offer that rewards him financially then nobody can blame anyone for taking it.

13 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Chris Wood is expected to sign for Newcastle ahead of their game at the weekend which will increase speculation around Lyndon Dykes moving to Burnley.

You are the self-proclaimed richest club in the world and your second signing is Chris Wood?

Hope Dykes stays at QPR and gets a good few goals to get them into the play-offs - that would be a real success.

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Captain Saintsible said:

The problem with Dykes is that he doesn’t score many goals

That’s a bit of an issue for a striker

He’s not exactly Joe Jordan 

The Israel game was case in point 

3 great opportunities to score 1 goal

Still,  he's a presence and who else are we going to play