Are YOU Voting for the Alba Party?

NotThePars

Who's Voting for the Alba Party?  

394 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"Scotland needs to be gallus for what comes next. ALBA is here to bring that confidence."

Terrific stuff. I opened the "Women and Equalities" section as well and all the neighbour's dogs started barking for some reason.

Edited by NotThePars

I will be voting for Alba, absolutely. I'm also a member, and absolutely delighted to finally have a party that I can support, without being cencerned that an indepedent Scotland will degenrate into a neo-Marxist hellhole unopposed.

4 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

I will be voting for Alba, absolutely. I'm also a member, and absolutely delighted to finally have a party that I can support, without being cencerned that an indepedent Scotland will degenrate into a neo-Marxist hellhole unopposed.

You're not a member of anything you're a funder. 

Absolutely gone at the McGlashan vibes from this one. 

So lads we need to feed kids 52 weeks a year. 

Agreed

We should use fresh local produce 

Agreed

I know a guy from Swansea who could do all this at a good price 

Get the f**k out !

Free school breakfasts and lunches for nursery, primary and secondary pupils using high quality Scottish produce centrally purchased with menus devised by leading Scottish chefs and nutritionists – every week of the year.

Just now, invergowrie arab said:

You're not a member of anything you're a funder. 

Care to direct me towards a single major party in Scotland or the UK that doesn't take membership fees?

The only one I can see is Green party, but it may be that they don't advertise the fee prior to joining.

1 minute ago, Illgresi said:

Care to direct me towards a single major party in Scotland or the UK that doesn't take membership fees?

The only one I can see is Green party, but it may be that they don't advertise the fee prior to joining.

Party members usually develop policies, elect their leadership and choose their candidates.

Alba and Farage' s lot seem to have a lot in common 

Just now, invergowrie arab said:

Party members usually develop policies, elect their leadership and choose their candidates.

Alba and Farage' s lot seem to have a lot in common 

The party has existed for c. 1 month, with around 6 weeks until the Scottish election. I have absolutely no doubt, that should Alba require a change in leadership in the future, it will be put to the membership.

9 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Fingers crossed 

Let's get down to the real issue at hand.

Nearly 1M regional list votes in favour of the SNP (I was one of them), returned 4 seats. There's a famous 'quote' often missattributed to Einstein that "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the different results". It may be an urban myth, but the point very much holds true.

As an Alby party member I'll be voting SNP for my constituency, and Alba for the regional list. I understand not everyone will (certainly not my wife, the absolute dobber would vote for the Tories before either the SNP or Alba), but for crying out loud, please see that voting SNP on the regional is a wasted vote*. If you must, vote for the green party on the regional.

*Going against party lines here, I actually think it is prudent to vote for SNP on the regional list in the south Scotland region.

Edited by Illgresi

17 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Nearly 1M regional list votes in favour of the SNP (I was one of them), returned 4 seats. There's a famous 'quote' often missattributed to Einstein that "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the different results". It may be an urban myth, but the point very much holds true.

As an Alby party member I'll be voting SNP for my constituency, and Alba for the regional list. I understand not everyone will (certainly not my wife, the absolute dobber would vote for the Tories before either the SNP or Alba), but for crying out loud, please see that voting SNP on the regional is a wasted vote*. If you must, vote for the green party on the regional.

*Going against party lines here, I actually think it is prudent to vote for SNP on the regional list in the south Scotland region.

I know it, you know it, anybody that has looked at, and has a vague inkling of the D'Hondt voting system, knows it.

Folk should stop treating their political votes like it is their support for a fitba team. It is pathetic.

In south Scotland #BothVotesSNP makes sense. Elsewhere? A complete waste.

Edited by wirez

51 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Go and define neo-Marxist for us, and tell us which particular things in a Scottish context cause you to be concerned by this

12 minutes ago, wirez said:

I know it, you know it, anybody that has looked at, and has a vague inkling of the D'Hondt voting system, knows it.

Folk should stop treating their political votes like it is their support for a fitba team. It is pathetic.

In south Scotland #BothVotesSNP makes sense. Elsewhere? A complete waste.

Agree 100%.

If independence is your goal, set party politics aside. The SNP always has been, and always will be a vessel for one singular goal; Scottish independence. The devolved parliament has muddied the waters in that regard. Alba has formed for that exact same goal. This is the future of Scotland we're talking about.

Party partizanship can wait for the first election of an indepedent Scottish government.

23 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Go and define neo-Marxist for us, and tell us which particular things in a Scottish context cause you to be concerned by this

When Lenin wrote about the British Labour Party being comprised of workers led by bourgeois managers his neo-Marxist solution was a Scottish nationalist party composed of the same structure and ruled by the same interests.

27 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

In my (admittedly I'm an engineer, not an economist) understanding, neo-marxism fundamentally describes the prevention of big business from generating surplus capital such that it can have an influence over the state. Indeed, preventing this growth in power of big business serves to fundamentally strengthen the state itself.

While I would vehemently support the SNPs (and every other right minded person's) protectionist look on the NHS, I think there are numerous examples of the SNP (specifically post Salmond), displaying these kinds of tendencies. I'm not going to list everything, but prime examples of this would be GMO crops, and onshore fracking. Both of these examples are admittedly tentative subjects, however both have been whitewashed by the SNP.

The reasons for carte blanche denying such potentially massive industries may well be genuine (but I suspect they are not), but neither are they founded in science.

Having said all that, I consider myself a scientist (given my profession), and I am absolutely open to people's opinions changing my own. So fire away.

Edit:

To fully flesh out my opposition to a neo-marxist hellhole:

I believe that an independent Scotland should be a socially just country, that is led by science and rational thought. Not one led by reactionary, populist opinion.

Edited by Illgresi

58 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

This is literally nothing new to anyone in this thread or part of the forum. Have you read it? 

What's new is describing the snp's Scottish vision as a neo-Marxist hell-hole that you won't vote for, then announcing that you will in fact be voting for then after all, and having any thought whatsoever that this alba party will work *with* the snp in any way if they were to get a seat or two. 

Most people here are snp/Green outwith Highlands and the South because we understand the system, and also realise that Alba are a toxic mess that will likely hinder not help a push for Scottish independence 

20 minutes ago, madwullie said:

This is literally nothing new to anyone in this thread or part of the forum. Have you read it? 

What's new is describing the snp's Scottish vision as a neo-Marxist hell-hole that you won't vote for, then announcing that you will in fact be voting for then after all, and having any thought whatsoever that this alba party will work *with* the snp in any way if they were to get a seat or two. 

Most people here are snp/Green outwith Highlands and the South because we understand the system, and also realise that Alba are a toxic mess that will likely hinder not help a push for Scottish independence 

I'm afraid that having 2 children under 2 years old limits my ability to read 52 pages worth of posts on a forum. I'm sure it's full of well thought out, considered opinion.

In the spare moment I have to engage with fellow citizens I thought I'd share my position, and indeed potentially reach some people who may well not know how the system works.

I'll reiterate my earlier point that this election is absolutely about one thing; independence. It is absolutely not about one thing; how an independent Scotland will be governed. I'll continue to vote for the SNP where it matters; to deliver independence.

<Edited to be less antagonistic>

Edited by Illgresi