Midlands League

Marten

5 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

image.png.c485e70c1ccf58352e9d3b35586c7da5.png

image.png.7cf651b70341b71327b057e1540dc72f.png

Is that last result a typo or have United packed up for the season?

Had my doubts about this league working as an all-in affair but it's been brilliantly run so far. Will be interesting to see how they manage it having Montrose back next season 

On 02/04/2023 at 19:00, Marten said:

Next season we'll have 20 clubs with Montrose Roselea joining. It's an awkward number, 38 league games is quite a bit for this level, but nobody fancies going back to 10 team leagues either.

A 38 game league season is a bit ridiculous, but so are 10 team leagues.

There's needs to be a realisation that a tie-up with the NRJFA is desirable long term with a "North Premier League" of perhaps 14-16 clubs taken from Midlands and North Superleague.

If you took 8 from the Midlands that would leave a 12 team league, if you took 6 from the North Superleague that would leave 24 clubs split 12 + 12.

So 14 team "North Premier" with a 12 team Midlands and 12 team North "Championship" feeding into it, with a further 12 teams in "North First", perhaps a flexible "border" between Midlands and North to balance out numbers when needed.

That leaves plenty room in the Midlands and North to take on any new clubs.

The North Premier could look like;

Broughty Athletic

Carnoustie Panmure

Dundee Downfield

Dundee North End

Lochee United

Kirriemuir Thistle

Dundee East Craigie

Tayport

Culter

Hermes

Dyce

Stoneywood-Parkvale

Bridge of Don Thistle

Stonehaven

On 09/04/2023 at 18:22, Spyro said:

Is that last result a typo or have United packed up for the season?

Had my doubts about this league working as an all-in affair but it's been brilliantly run so far. Will be interesting to see how they manage it having Montrose back next season 

I wasn't there (thankfully) and I haven't been online since either as I've been travelling. What others told me was that our goalkeeper had a mare. He gave away one goal and then caused a penalty which lead to their third goal (3-1 at the time) and got himself sent off in the process. To be fair, I've also been told that Scone played really well and apparently had their best game (or one of the best) of the season. These things happen and as the season was already done for us it won't make a difference in that sense. The focus has been on next season for a while now so let's just build on that.

On 11/04/2023 at 15:57, Burnieman said:

A 38 game league season is a bit ridiculous, but so are 10 team leagues.

There's needs to be a realisation that a tie-up with the NRJFA is desirable long term with a "North Premier League" of perhaps 14-16 clubs taken from Midlands and North Superleague.

If you took 8 from the Midlands that would leave a 12 team league, if you took 6 from the North Superleague that would leave 24 clubs split 12 + 12.

So 14 team "North Premier" with a 12 team Midlands and 12 team North "Championship" feeding into it, with a further 12 teams in "North First", perhaps a flexible "border" between Midlands and North to balance out numbers when needed.

That leaves plenty room in the Midlands and North to take on any new clubs.

The North Premier could look like;

Broughty Athletic

Carnoustie Panmure

Dundee Downfield

Dundee North End

Lochee United

Kirriemuir Thistle

Dundee East Craigie

Tayport

Culter

Hermes

Dyce

Stoneywood-Parkvale

Bridge of Don Thistle

Stonehaven

If it's up to me, that should start next season already. But I fear the north teams won't be interested.

4 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Wasn't to be. Lost on pens after a late equaliser.

best team lost, another west v West final. What the dinosaurs at the Junior association would of wanted as well unfortunately 👎 Well played East Craigie 👏

Shame, I was hoping East Craigie would win this.

For our game, a great recovery from last week by winning 0-4 away at Kirrie. This and last week show our problem this season though: consistency. That really has to get better next season if we are to have any decent chances.

On 16/04/2023 at 15:07, Josuke Higashikata said:

A strong continent from Dundee supporting their club in today’s semi—final.

1-0 early in the second half and deserved. 

If Dundee was Africa

and Fife was Antarctica etc etc

4 hours ago, Worried Lochee Lad said:

Some good news at Lochee at last. Finally looks like the committee have managed to get a proper coaching staff. Looking forward to next season, onwards! Thanks to Grant Lawson for his stint

That's very positive news, hopefully we can push on for next season at leave what happened this season well behind us.

Tayport 0-1 St James.

Tayport had clipped the post before st james scored with a nice move in the first half.

Visiting keeper had a few good saves in second half to keep tayport at bay. Port striker through on goal but tripped over his own feet. Visitors never stopped working all night and well worth the 3 points.

Edited by F_T_Y

A few surprise results last night and this shows why the 19 team format is fine for just now.

I was at Scone v Coupar Angus which was a good game. The visitors winning 2-1 despite playing over 45 minutes with 10 men.

1-1 at half time Scone started the second half very strongly and the Coupar Angus keeper kept them in the game for a long time. The visitors were hitting on the break and it was not too much of a surprise when they then took a late chance to win all 3 points. 

Beaten Tayport 5-1, probably our best game (at least from the ones I've attended) this season. Shame we've been so inconsistent, because we can be really good, but we've had too many poor games.

Edited by Marten

31 minutes ago, Marten said:

Beaten Tayport 5-1, probably our best game (at least from the ones I've attended) this season. Shame with been so inconsistent, because we can be really good, but we've had too many poor games.

Next season marten 👍