Midlands League

Marten

Carnoustie win on pens after leading 3 times in the game. A really good game. 

Some season for Carnoustie. Another league title, a cup win, and beaten finalists in the other cup. 

The team to beat no doubt. Will be interesting to see who they bring in as manager. 

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, ScottishLoon said:

Any strikers at this level ready for a step up to league 2? Asking for a no current striker of any sort at his club friend. 🙃

Dale Reid, who bangs them in on a regular basis for Carnoustie lives and works in Forfar. Doubt we've looked at him though.

27 minutes ago, nofixedability said:

Dale Reid, who bangs them in on a regular basis for Carnoustie lives and works in Forfar. Doubt we've looked at him though.

44 goals isn't too bad 😋

Only thing  maybe is thats he's already 30? Might be worth a go tho and could have a Josh peters type effect.

2 hours ago, Marten said:

Fixtures should be released today, but I assume it's the last weekend of July.

AGM was last night and fixtures to be released this week at some point with start date Sat July 22nd and 5 midweek matches to get ahead of schedule. Montrose Roselea admitted back into the Midlands as expected.

Edited by tellyboy

53 minutes ago, tellyboy said:

AGM was last night and fixtures to be released this week at some point with start date Sat July 22nd and 5 midweek matches to get ahead of schedule. Montrose Roselea admitted back into the Midlands as expected.

Just come to think of it, don't we have to wait until the SPFL release their fixtures due to Roselea's ground share at Links Park?

3 hours ago, Marten said:

Just come to think of it, don't we have to wait until the SPFL release their fixtures due to Roselea's ground share at Links Park?

Montrose Roselea still have first call on the  use of Broomfield Park as a back up but hopefully some fixtures may be changed once the SPFL release their fixtures on the 30th June. I am sure most teams will want to play on Links Park which is a great surface & stadium. Roselea have still always had to play 3-4 games a season mainly Scottish Cup ties on Broomfield Park which in its own right is still an excellent facilty and well maintained surface.

Only 34 out of 38 necessary fixtures are actually listed as far as I can tell. Guess at least some of the rest get arranged later on the dates that are left open for the various cup competitions whenever that is possible? Still likely to leave a significant backlog at the end for any promotion challenger though once postponements are factored in.

On 20/06/2023 at 11:06, Marten said:

Fixtures should be released today, but I assume it's the last weekend of July.

On 20/06/2023 at 13:15, tellyboy said:

Many thanks for the info guys. Think I will be taking in a bit more Midland League football in the season ahead. Good to see Roselea involved (North League football with virtually no supports of any size has never really been too appealing) and one or two other sides I;ve always kept an eye on.

3 hours ago, Marten said:

Sensible stuff filling up the Summer midweeks, I wish the Highland League would do similar. They think it would lose them hospitality bookings but end up trying to cram loads of them in at the end of winter when the weather's shite, so they probably lose more.

37 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Sensible stuff filling up the Summer midweeks, I wish the Highland League would do similar. They think it would lose them hospitality bookings but end up trying to cram loads of them in at the end of winter when the weather's shite, so they probably lose more.

Yeah, and more games early on will help finishing the league on time. There are 11 rounds planned before the end of August.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Only 34 out of 38 necessary fixtures are actually listed as far as I can tell. Guess at least some of the rest get arranged later on the dates that are left open for the various cup competitions whenever that is possible? Still likely to leave a significant backlog at the end for any promotion challenger though once postponements are factored in.

Yeah, the plan is to play as many of those games in cup weekends. If a licensed side has a good chance of winning the league, there will be some midweek games early 2024.

23 minutes ago, ScottishLoon said:

We just signed Josh skelly from broughty, how was he last season? 

And yes I know he scored loads

Good finisher, definitely a player who I think can do well a bit higher up.