Queens v Raith

Some folk on here say you can't play football on Queens "terrible" pitch.
I don't think anyone is saying it is terrible but it's not suited to fast passing football, according to McGlynn in his post match interview on Rover's website; he  says the passing move leading to the goal was despite the surface and it restricted our movement during the game.
I'll say it - it's a terrible surface for football. I draw the line at folk saying it's risky for players (Vaughan in this case) to play on though. I can't recall any player being injured as a result of the surface. But for football it's awful. Even Dobbie was criticising it the other week.

I'll say it - it's a terrible surface for football. I draw the line at folk saying it's risky for players (Vaughan in this case) to play on though. I can't recall any player being injured as a result of the surface. But for football it's awful. Even Dobbie was criticising it the other week.

Im actually a little surprised that Rangers let their 4 lads play on it. It cant possibly be conducive to developing talented footballers

I think Gerrard had a go at  Livi's and Killie's.

An after thought, Livi's pitch didnt restrict our passing game at all. I think Gerrard's concern was the risk of injury to his players.

Edited by Raith_Raver

I doubt if you'll find many Queens fans claiming it's a good surface,  I doubt if it even gives us much if an advantage,  if any,  playing on it.  It just doesn't look right for a start.  Tbh,  I sometimes find it difficult seeing the ball on our surface when I watch streams.  I do think there's an agenda against artificial surfaces,  I recall Joe Thomson at Dunfermline picking up a series injury at EEP,  if that had happened on an artificial surface I'm sure  that fact would have been highlighted but it happened on grass so the surface wasn't mentiined even, though it maybe contributed to his injury. 

5 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I doubt if you'll find many Queens fans claiming it's a good surface,  I doubt if it even gives us much if an advantage,  if any,  playing on it.  It just doesn't look right for a start.  Tbh,  I sometimes find it difficult seeing the ball on our surface when I watch streams.  I do think there's an agenda against artificial surfaces,  I recall Joe Thomson at Dunfermline picking up a series injury at EEP,  if that had happened on an artificial surface I'm sure  that fact would have been highlighted but it happened on grass so the surface wasn't mentiined even, though it maybe contributed to his injury. 

Best pitch I have seen is the Raith pitch after that Falkirk .

The Killie pitch does not look much better than ours 

It's a nightmare when the sun is low as it makes a yellowish reflection off the pitch and the ball is yellow! I struggle to see it live sometimes and I know it's even harder on the stream.

I think Gerrard had a go at  Livi's and Killie's.
An after thought, Livi's pitch didnt restrict our passing game at all. I think Gerrard's concern was the risk of injury to his players.
But this seems to be a myth that's gained traction. The discussion seems to split experts so you can't say for definite that a player is more likely to get injured on plastic.

It always makes me laugh when you get wallopers like Gerrard moaning about it. What have his players trained on all week? And if they get beaten on a coo field of a pitch he'd/they'd complain about that as well.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

But this seems to be a myth that's gained traction. The discussion seems to split experts so you can't say for definite that a player is more likely to get injured on plastic.

It always makes me laugh when you get wallopers like Gerrard moaning about it. What have his players trained on all week? And if they get beaten on a coo field of a pitch he'd/they'd complain about that as well.

I remmeber reading that it's due to some artificial turf not having the same cushioning effect as grass when players are pulling up.

33 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

I remmeber reading that it's due to some artificial turf not having the same cushioning effect as grass when players are pulling up.

Hendry’s ACL up at Forfar certainly didn’t look like it was helped by the surface, once of the worst in Scotland.

The artificial surfaces seem to be evolving at a rapid rate. QOS looks like a manky old carpet how old is it?

The rovers which is a year old I think has received pretty universal praise from players. With Vaughan they are being so careful and won't chance him. In reality he will never play every game with his injury record.

I'm sure in an earlier discussion on this subject that someone said Raith Rovers had paid extra for a more cushioned sub-base and better "turf",  I think Palmerston is laid directly onto hardcore or concrete. I'm sure ours is due for renewal in a couple of seasons,  hopefully we can get a better quality and installation when it is done.  Yes, we would all prefer if it went back to grass but sadly I don't think that will happen. 

I'm sure in an earlier discussion on this subject that someone said Raith Rovers had paid extra for a more cushioned sub-base and better "turf",  I think Palmerston is laid directly onto hardcore or concrete. I'm sure ours is due for renewal in a couple of seasons,  hopefully we can get a better quality and installation when it is done.  Yes, we would all prefer if it went back to grass but sadly I don't think that will happen. 
I don't think an artificial pitch has been laid directly onto concrete for 30 years. Ours definitely isn't.

1 minute ago, Mr X said:
8 minutes ago, Fae_the_ said:

I don't think an artificial pitch has been laid directly onto concrete for 30 years. Ours definitely isn't.

I was being a bit facetious there,  it's probably sand over hardcore. 

Guest Flash
19 minutes ago, pub car king said:

The artificial surfaces seem to be evolving at a rapid rate. QOS looks like a manky old carpet how old is it?

The rovers which is a year old I think has received pretty universal praise from players. With Vaughan they are being so careful and won't chance him. In reality he will never play every game with his injury record.

Coming to the end of its seventh season. It replaced one that lasted one season. 

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

Coming to the end of its seventh season. It replaced one that lasted one season. 

Yes,  and it was supposedly done free of charge because the original wasn't done right or something.  Of course a Firm doing something FOC wouldn't cut corners would they?