BERWICK RANGERS 2021/22

Pugsley

11 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Dreadful.

That must contend as our worst cup defeat of all time; certainly in living memory. Stoneyburn are sat 4 tiers and 60 places below us in the league system. Hawick under Coughlin has been mentioned - and true it was at home in Scottish Cup - but they were only actually 1 level below.

Horrific result and the performance wasn't much better. Granted their winner had a serious look of offside to it; but just a few minutes later they were denied a free kick which came down off the bar with a serious look of having crossed the line.

Berwick were so one dimensional and coasted along trying same build-up play all the time: for example their left CB clearly has no fear of a buffet, yet we never seemed to try and stretch him on the turn, or over the top. Despite triple substitution there was no real 'kick', and so the clock running down almost came as a shock, with the kitchen sink only (unsuccessfully) thrown at it far too late.

We'd about 4 changes - rested a few plus Heeps returned - but still no excuse. Plus after subs it was nearing our strongest XI at the moment.

Most worrying was the lack of real effort from some players. Manager spent most of 1st and much of 2nd half roaring and ranting at them but it seemed like water off ducks backs. It felt like many were too relaxed (or indifferent), and it was also noticeable that some players who were showing particular haste in pushing for a late equaliser were getting frustrated at their team-mates apparent inability to stop 'plodding along'.

Most hilarious is any suggestion this was down to the Fulshie catching us jaded. We have both played 6 league games: but their season started a week after ours. They played on Wednesday which was the latest of 3 consecutive midweek games, whereas Berwick haven't played a midweek game since August 2nd. If anybody could claim fatigue it would have been the hosts, but their defence worked manfully all game, and their attack did their best at relieving pressure with counters at every opportunity.

Victory can be in no way begrudged - well done to Stoneyburn.

Terrible.

Depressing read - and not the first such performance this season. Others at the game tell a similar story to this. Feeble, half-hearted individual displays and no spark from the senior players or from the sidelines. 

We've brought several new players in recently. About time we kicked some of the shirkers out.

30 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Have never even heard of Stoneyburn.

Doubt too many people have from outside a 10 mile radius. One of West Lothian's smaller villages a wee bit south of Whitburn and Blackburn. My aunt was born there but I've never been. The junior team has never done much after being started up in the early 80s with a former Rangers player called Derek Strickland as player manager from what I remember. This is a bit like what losing to Steelend Vics would have been in Fife terms.

1 hour ago, Redcar said:

Depressing read - and not the first such performance this season. Others at the game tell a similar story to this. Feeble, half-hearted individual displays and no spark from the senior players or from the sidelines. 

We've brought several new players in recently. About time we kicked some of the shirkers out.

^^^^^ This all day long ^^^^^^ 

Wasn’t there, thank god. Feel sorry for those that were.

The report from HB is frightening. But becoming too predictable. Some are saying this is a minor cup in some respects. I really don’t care if we are to play Burnmouth under 10’s, if we can’t beat a team four divisions lower with these players and manager we are in trouble. Thing is it’s nothing new, Broxburn, Hill o Beath, Tranent in cup and league and now this. Abysmal. 

A performance of breathtaking inadequacy today. Beggars belief how players that we know are talented and get paid decent money for this level, can produce such a display, bereft of technical nous.

I was embarrassed to watch this and I paid to get in. Would be nice to know how the Manager explains it away, when he gets paid to pick the team up after last week's shameful defeat at Stoneyburn. 

Not quite Johnny Harvey level yet, but closing in.....

So this is where we are. 1 question relating to Redcar's observations, Are the players actually trying ?? or are they spiting the manager ??

Conclusion Berwick Rangers suffer, 

Time to recruit players who want to play, or time for the manager to walk

1 hour ago, Redcar said:

League season is over, so just a good run in the Scottish Cup to hope for.

Oh, hang on......

Welcome to life in the worlds most boring fitbaw league. I’m actually glad we’re doing so shite that I can get buzzing to go to Dalbeattie for a relegation 6 pointer 

4 hours ago, sammyreidloyal said:

So we sent Kyle Baker to Dundonald…after signing him just a few weeks ago!.? WTF!? Starting to think the ship may be listing

And Martin Rennie back at Montrose (and scoring)

Ship started listing ???? reckon the water is on the deck

On 20/08/2022 at 18:59, HibeeJibee said:

Dreadful.

That must contend as our worst cup defeat of all time; certainly in living memory. Stoneyburn are sat 4 tiers and 60 places below us in the league system. Hawick under Coughlin has been mentioned - and true it was at home in Scottish Cup - but they were only actually 1 level below.

Horrific result and the performance wasn't much better. Granted their winner had a serious look of offside to it; but just a few minutes later they were denied a free kick which came down off the bar with a serious look of having crossed the line.

Berwick were so one dimensional and coasted along trying same build-up play all the time: for example their left CB clearly has no fear of a buffet, yet we never seemed to try and stretch him on the turn, or over the top. Despite triple substitution there was no real 'kick', and so the clock running down almost came as a shock, with the kitchen sink only (unsuccessfully) thrown at it far too late.

We'd about 4 changes - rested a few plus Heeps returned - but still no excuse. Plus after subs it was nearing our strongest XI at the moment.

Most worrying was the lack of real effort from some players. Manager spent most of 1st and much of 2nd half roaring and ranting at them but it seemed like water off ducks backs. It felt like many were too relaxed (or indifferent), and it was also noticeable that some players who were showing particular haste in pushing for a late equaliser were getting frustrated at their team-mates apparent inability to stop 'plodding along'.

Most hilarious is any suggestion this was down to the Fulshie catching us jaded. We have both played 6 league games: but their season started a week after ours. They played on Wednesday which was the latest of 3 consecutive midweek games, whereas Berwick haven't played a midweek game since August 2nd. If anybody could claim fatigue it would have been the hosts, but their defence worked manfully all game, and their attack did their best at relieving pressure with counters at every opportunity.

Victory can be in no way begrudged - well done to Stoneyburn.

Terrible.

Haha just laughing at your comment about the Stoneyburn left centre back. How apt given that he had every player Berwick put against him on toast and played with a cigar hanging out his mouth🤣

The thing is from my viewing of the game, Berwick did try to do what you are saying that they didn’t in terms of trying to put the ball over the top and beat him on the turn.  He was just too good and his reading of the game was excellent. 

Fair play to the Berwick fans behind me who said the big man was the best player on the park. 

Obviously I am a Stoneyburn fan and a little bit biased.  I think Berwick were lucky to get away at 2-1. It could easily have been 3 or 4 the way they couldn’t deal with the ball into the left channel.

Like this goal, Berwick did their best job to make Stoneyburn look like Barcelona 🤣

Edited by Jambo003

• 2 weeks later...

Number 5 absolutely lost the plot.  Otherwise the result could have been very different.

Not the best game that the Rose have played this season but qualifying for next round is all that matters.

Hopefully the injury to number 4 isn't to serious.