BERWICK RANGERS 2021/22

Pugsley

Great to get the win. Even better that it is against that lot. Would much rather be on the winning side than another turgid weekend wondering whether the board will sit on their hands a la Johnny Harvey rather than act. But the table doesn’t lie. Ok we are a  few wins away from a much better league position but also we have one win in about seven games. Is this just delaying the inevitable? 

Certainly a formidable fortnight ahead with trip to Spartans (3rd) on Tuesday, then hosting Civil Service (4th), then visiting East Kilbride (1st). After that it eases up significantly 'on paper'... host Cumbernauld (13th) then Dalbeattie (19th), visit Celtic B (8th) in midweek, host Edinburgh Uni (18th), and return v Cumbernauld pre-Christmas.

Here is a bit of a conundrum for everyone to mull over, say someone offers the Supporters club a sum of money to buy the major shareholding they hold and they agree a price!!

My point is what exactly do the supporters club do with that money?

Because what they are supposed to do with it is hand it over to the football club as that’s what moneys raised by SC is constitutionally bound to do!!

So in essence whoever buys these shares will get that money straight back which is exactly why they shouldn’t have bought them in the first place, interesting isn’t it 🤯🤯🤯

I'll bite

In Principal the Supporters Club sell the the major shareholding stake (assuming they own it)  and agree a price. 

The supporters Club then are in receipt of a sum of money to help the club (a la £4000) recently.

HOWEVER I'm led to believe the supporters dont just hand out cash willy nilly, there has to be a purpose. Ie playing budget, which is what the above 4k was intended for, and general jobs in the ground that need doing (floodlights, etc)

IF and I stress IF the money is passed to the Club for a specific purpose and it is found that it wasn't used for that purpose, then that opens up severe questions from the fans upwards !!!

Are we talking anything in particular ??

Quick bit of pedantry - I believe the recent £4000 donation was from the Supporters Trust, not the Supporters Club. But I should quickly add that the Supporters Club have indeed given many thousands of pounds to the football club in recent years. (The SC and ST are entirely separate organisations, though both hold significant shares in the football Club, with the SC having very much the most of the 2).

As for the scenario posted, if the SC sold their shares, they could indeed be very selective on how donations back to the club were spent by the club. I suppose it is a bit odd, but the alternative to holding the shares would be to hand control to individuals who might not really give much of a toss about Berwick Rangers. (Moving the Club to Edinburgh, perhaps). Dodgy owners have destroyed other clubs in the past and indeed very nearly did for Berwick Rangers 30-odd years ago. 

I'm happy that the SC and ST have a big shareholding, but if I won the lottery the first thing I'd do is make the SC an offer they couldn't refuse! 

My preferred method of disposal of supporters club shares would be to sell them off in small blocks and limit the sale to one block per person, won’t happen of course but I’d much prefer someone wanting to take control putting ideas forward to a wide audience of share holders that would support the best candidate for the football club and not someone with ulterior motives let’s say.

My information is that BRFC will be merged with another local club and if you think this will be for the good of our club,I don’t.

Nor do I think it will be in anyway a positive move either on the park or off it, but time will tell no doubt as normal.

9 hours ago, Back post Willie said:

My information is that BRFC will be merged with another local club and if you think this will be for the good of our club,I don’t.

Nor do I think it will be in anyway a positive move either on the park or off it, but time will tell no doubt as normal.

Is this because you're struggling to compete for players in the Edinburgh area now that Bonnyrigg are a league side and a few other ex junior Lothian based sides are working their way up the pyramid set up? 

Berwick s decline seems to be on a par wi that. 

Partially yes, partially financially (historically), partially geographically but the problems always started for me when we were an SPFL club with a board of directors who knew very little about football who then appointed managers who also knew very little about football who signed players who couldn’t play football.

And that was the biggest problem that led us to where we are now but hopefully the slide won’t keep going.

24 minutes ago, Back post Willie said:

Partially yes, partially financially (historically), partially geographically but the problems always started for me when we were an SPFL club with a board of directors who knew very little about football who then appointed managers who also knew very little about football who signed players who couldn’t play football.

And that was the biggest problem that led us to where we are now but hopefully the slide won’t keep going.

If it concerned you that much should you not have brought that up with the club long before this?

Even now you're only showing your grievances on a football forum. 

There was never a problem geographically as you were a league club who could easily attract  Lothians players and would also be training in the Lothians. 

Now it looks like you might have no option but to look local for players, as I stated earlier Bonnyrigg and some ex junior teams have launched their bids to get up the pyramid, players in and around Edinburgh don't see Berwick as the big draw they once were when they were a league club.There are loads clubs within the same grade more local than Berwick.

That to me is where your main problem lies. 

It concerns me and did as a supporter, I have and have never had anymore involvement in BRFC more than that.

And a football forum is in my opinion the place to air opinions, is it not??

BRFC may as you say have to concentrate more locally for players and actually that to me is no bad thing at all and actually welcome that as let’s be brutally honest the players you say we attracted from the central belt hardly set the heather on fire and training there is something that can also be stopped if we can get locally sourced players, thus saving money.

Personally we would have been far better in the past looking at the North East than central belt but the wages and travel precluded this (that’s the financial and geographical bit I mentioned).

Football is all about opinions and last time I looked we still are all allowed to have one.

1 minute ago, Back post Willie said:

It concerns me and did as a supporter, I have and have never had anymore involvement in BRFC more than that.

And a football forum is in my opinion the place to air opinions, is it not??

BRFC may as you say have to concentrate more locally for players and actually that to me is no bad thing at all and actually welcome that as let’s be brutally honest the players you say we attracted from the central belt hardly set the heather on fire and training there is something that can also be stopped if we can get locally sourced players, thus saving money.

Personally we would have been far better in the past looking at the North East than central belt but the wages and travel precluded this (that’s the financial and geographical bit I mentioned).

Football is all about opinions and last time I looked we still are all allowed to have one.

No need to get cheeky!

I'm sure not every Berwick fan is on pie and bovril especially the ones you were voicing your concerns over. 

You'd struggle for a team in the Northern League min.

Alnwick Town might have been closest recently but even they got relegated from there.

Even at that if you were a Northern League club you'd still need to get to Teeside and North Yorkshire. 

As you state all about opinions, geographics a problem no matter where you're playing, sometimes it's better the devil you know though.