Queen’s Park 21/22

It’s a weird one. On the face of it there’s loads to be excited about but that back of the mind nagging feeling that we’re a (twice) unelected Lord’s plaything isn’t really going away. 

Mad speculation on here about the shape of the stadium based on digging around for planning applications, and now we’re waiting for the accounts so we can try and work out how we’re funded. This is utter madness. 

21 hours ago, an86 said:

I’d be the first to have a pop at the club if I thought it was legitimate, but I’d take anything posted on a local Facebook group, particularly that one, with a pinch of salt.

There is nothing they won't whinge about on that Facebook community group.  I decided to join it just before the Euros. It was just non-stop griping and negativity, some of it real parochial nonsense. The same for every event at Hampden. I'm all for legitimate concerns being addressed but when they bought their home, it's as if half of them didn't notice that big ground that's been there since 1903. Or indeed Lesser Hampden right next door which up until Covid hit was pretty much in use every night of the week.

I wonder how many of them grew up next to Hampden in the 70s and 80s. Coming from a football family I loved it, as did many of my friends and neighbours, but I get not everyone in the area feels the same. However the so-called "issues" that local residents face nowadays are nothing like it was back then, believe me, but we accepted what comes with living next to a football ground. 

Edited by Mick1867

13 hours ago, Anonymous Spider said:

It’s a weird one. On the face of it there’s loads to be excited about but that back of the mind nagging feeling that we’re a (twice) unelected Lord’s plaything isn’t really going away. 

Mad speculation on here about the shape of the stadium based on digging around for planning applications, and now we’re waiting for the accounts so we can try and work out how we’re funded. This is utter madness. 

There’s a very easy fix to the things fans are unhappy about. Just give us an monthly update or something.  Nobody is asking for anything unreasonable. Not asking for a running commentary on every single aspect of the running of the club.

If you’re asking people to cross the city every couple of weeks, to put their hand in their pockets for hospitality and sponsorship etc. the least that can be done is talk to us. It doesn’t have to be “innovative” or contain cringeworthy buzzwords. Newsletter. Sentences which concisely explain what’s happening, if anything.

18 hours ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Looks like he’s got the cash to splash and more time on his hands. 

https://www.insider.co.uk/news/lord-haughey-sells-24-stake-24130254

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/7664090/glasgow-flats-willie-haughey-stopped/

With CBS on Caledonia Road, the new 11,000 homes on land owned by Haughey adjacent to Caledonia House, his media outlet Go Radio on Pollokshaws Road and now openly acknowledged as the player behind the QP reinvention, it does kind of look like a Glasgow South legacy plan. 

https://thisisgo.co.uk/shows/the-go-radio-business-show-with-hunter-and-haughey/

League of Ireland season just finished. Surely a market we’re looking at and players will be immediately available? A number of gems unearthed for Scottish and English teams over the years. Some haddies as well, obviously. We’re in a pretty strong position to offer potential progression and a shop window for guys looking to climb the ladder. 

Well I don't think anyone saw that signing coming. Most of us were expecting someone to score goals or shore up a leaky defence.

So I wonder what the "pecking order" will be with our new appointment.

If as expected the new "Director of Football Operations" surely will have some input into current 1st team playing strategy as it's stated " He was responsible for developing the long-term vision at AZ, for creating a performance culture and for the development of coaching staff dedicated to excelling in the development of high potentials"

Seems he'll be responsible for the development of the coaching staff well as the players.

Given the performance of our current under 18's ,according to last weeks club post, he's surely half way there..

They told us the U18's won again with a 5-1 win against Morton, which when added to previous games against "higher" league team's U18's makes it:-

Played 15, Won 12, drawn 1, lost 2, with 48 scored and 13 against.

Yet despite all that promise, not one of those current under18's has been promoted to the !st team squad this season, despite our inability to take chances and score goals.

I'm all behind promoting progress from within the ranks, which again you have to think will be the new man's responsibilty as he did at AK Alkmar. 

But who will be making the final choices to allow that to happen; it doesn't seem to be the current coach's philosophy.

As with all things with the current management, don't expect clarification on a pecking order anytime soon, we'll just have to wait and see.

On 30/11/2021 at 16:23, JT1867 said:

Surely we are heading towards a shareholder structure? 

It will be interesting to see how Haughey's money is shown in the accounts, I wonder if they be recorded as loans rather than donations, and the loans will then be converted to equity In a move to a shareholder structure, with members each given a small number of shares for giving up their membership.

This. When will be get some transparency?

57 minutes ago, CTQP1867 said:

This. When will be get some transparency?

Does membership not have to be paid on an annual basis? Why would a member be allocated shares if their membership expires on an annual basis. It is not much different to a season ticket with voting rights is it not? Not forgetting the pie at half time.

20 hours ago, QP's in my DNA said:

Well I don't think anyone saw that signing coming. Most of us were expecting someone to score goals or shore up a leaky defence.

If as expected the new "Director of Football Operations" surely will have some input into current 1st team playing strategy as it's stated " He was responsible for developing the long-term vision at AZ, for creating a performance culture and for the development of coaching staff dedicated to excelling in the development of high potentials"

Seems he'll be responsible for the development of the coaching staff well as the players.

Given the performance of our current under 18's ,according to last weeks club post, he's surely half way there..

They told us the U18's won again with a 5-1 win against Morton, which when added to previous games against "higher" league team's U18's makes it:-

Yet despite all that promise, not one of those current under18's has been promoted to the !st team squad this season, despite our inability to take chances and score goals.

I'm all behind promoting progress from within the ranks, which again you have to think will be the new man's responsibilty as he did at AK Alkmar. 

But who will be making the final choices to allow that to happen; it doesn't seem to be the current coach's philosophy.

As with all things with the current management, don't expect clarification on a pecking order anytime soon, we'll just have to wait and see.

There’s an enormous jump from 18s to full-time League One football. Let them keep playing games and developing and hopefully winning. If they’re good enough, they’ll get there. I remember similar calls in 13/14 when the Strollers were decent and the first team were probably the worst in our history. Very few, if any, of these guys went on to do much.

If the judgement is that a player is ready for first team football at the top end of League One, by all means give them a shot. It shouldn’t be done as a reaction to experienced players not performing, though. You can ruin a player by flinging them into a situation that they’re not ready for. 

21 hours ago, QP's in my DNA said:

I suspect most of these laddies will be sold along as soon as they're ripe with a tight selling-on clause. The Reagan Thomson business model. I suppose it's a positive thing we've attracted so many good footballers in the first place but it's rare in Scottish football for youngsters to get to the first team. Maybe that's what's "innovative" about this move. The link I put up yesterday does say that AZ are the third highest in Europe  for number of first team minutes played by players coming through their development pathway. 

When I think back to the Gerry & Dave roadshows before the vote, when the ambition was to be like "Arbroath or Alloa", then it's pretty obvious that there's a whole new agenda now and The Committee aren't part of the decision-making let alone members. The entrepreneurs are running the show, though i prefer the auld Glasgow version; Bengal Lancers.

On 01/12/2021 at 21:05, QP's in my DNA said:

Well said I agree with a lot of this. Every statement that seems to come from L Dempster now says we have a history of having a strong youth set up well before anyone in the new regime arrived. So surely what we have been doing is working up to now and the whole fact we can now keep our best young players, why not give the staff, coaches, volunteers who ever they are the chance to develop these youngsters for our own club instead of ours like the past. I get the new guy from AZ is an exciting prospect but people shouldn’t be quick to forget that he’s coming into a successful academy with a lot of good staff by the looks of things!

also good to see 18s match reports altho a bit of notice before games of when they are happening would also be good for fans wanting to see them for themselves