Premiership Clubs Government Loans

Just now, AJF said:

Could it be that they're actually saying we have a group of wealthy investors that have been willing to cover any losses suffered? Because that would actually be the truth rather than the club itself being minted.

If that's the case why the need for the loan?

Just now, TheScarf said:

If that's the case why the need for the loan?

Because it was available on excellent, interest free terms and would limit the amount those investors had to pay put of their own pocket? Why would any club take the option of the loan? Because it means they don't need to source the funds from elsewhere.

Just now, AJF said:

Because it was available on excellent, interest free terms and would limit the amount those investors had to pay put of their own pocket? Why would any club take the option of the loan? Because it means they don't need to source the funds from elsewhere.

They need to source the repayments though don't they.  Just use the money Rangers already clearly have.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

They need to source the repayments though don't they.  Just use the money Rangers already clearly have.

Of course they do, but the repayments don't need to start until 2022 and the term is over a considerable period with zero interest. It's an excellent credit facility that the clubs have taken advantage of. I'm sure most people would rather pay out £3.2m over the course of 20 years with zero interest than stump up for it now.

Again, I'm not sure who you've been speaking to, but nobody I know is under the impression that Rangers are minted and have an abundance of cash just lying about (because we don't). 

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Joking aside, I guess the clubs could do a lot worse than buy a few flats in decent areas for (eg) loan players to stop in. 

Weirdly enough Nicky Clarke does it, and rents it to players/clubs for those on loan in Scotland. I walked in on him at the Livi reception once thinking I'd spotted him ready to sign :D Turns out he was handing the keys over to the reception for a new loan signing to move in

20 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Celtic the only club to refuse a government loan, Rangers taking out the highest loan at 3.2m.

Think most of this will cover a lot of the COVID losses for clubs, will also go a long way to putting a plaster over big losses at Dundee Utd for the time being

"Celtic - Nil"  looks about right. 

😅

• 1 month later...

Covid in Scotland: Director pay and bonus rules for SPFL clubs' loan - BBC News

Strict conditions over director pay and bonuses have been attached to emergency Covid loans issued to Scotland's top football clubs, it has been revealed.

Could be a reason Celtic didn't take the free money. 😉

On 22/06/2021 at 15:25, ATLIS said:

Weirdly enough Nicky Clarke does it, and rents it to players/clubs for those on loan in Scotland. I walked in on him at the Livi reception once thinking I'd spotted him ready to sign :D Turns out he was handing the keys over to the reception for a new loan signing to move in

Aye he has/had a place up at Deer Park, used to deliver his shopping when I worked at Asda. That was back when he played for the rangers

I'm not entirely against this. While I expect a lot of fudging around the corners to show the money went to "suitable projects" we've seen large well funded companies take government money then pay dividends to share holders. Which, as Bird Person would happily tell you, is a "dick move".

Although to be fair, I doubt many Scottish clubs would be in that exact position.