Illusory Superiority on P&B

Illusory Superiority on P&B  

133 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

No, I honestly believe that those of us who have spent more time on this here rock in space have accumulated kniowledge which can be applied to new events which crop up. Not saying that the likes of me, GD and JacksGranda are the repository of all wisdom, but simply by being alive we have experienced more than someone half our age. More than half, because accumulation of knowledge tends to start when education ends. . 

This reads an awful lot like “I went to the University of life”.

20 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

A lot higher?

I'd go for 'higher than average' - but by f**k there are a load of posters who are holding us back.

Maybe not a lot. But the significant majority seem above average to me. Remember there are a whole load of idiots out there in the world.

16 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Oh, I put myself easily on the right hand side of the curve. Not because of in-depth knowledge on any subject, although there are a couple of areas where, through my work, I am definitely more knowledgeable than average.  No, I honestly believe that those of us who have spent more time on this here rock in space have accumulated kniowledge which can be applied to new events which crop up. Not saying that the likes of me, GD and JacksGranda are the repository of all wisdom, but simply by being alive we have experienced more than someone half our age. More than half, because accumulation of knowledge tends to start when education ends. 

I'm in my 30s now and I definitely see the benefit of experience in a way I probably didn't in my 20s. A decade of experiencing different things, making mistakes and learning from them is definitely valuable. I think folk have to have the mindset of being willing to learn from things though. A quick trawl through Facebook or Twitter will show up a whole sea of folk in their 50s and 60s who're thick as mince. 

That's the whole Dunning-Kruger thing in a nutshell though. If you see yourself as infallible with things to learn then you'll probably learn from your experiences and mistakes, if you don't you won't and you'll stay an idiot.

7 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I'm in my 30s now and I definitely see the benefit of experience in a way I probably didn't in my 20s. A decade of experiencing different things, making mistakes and learning from them is definitely valuable. I think folk have to have the mindset of being willing to learn from things though. A quick trawl through Facebook or Twitter will show up a whole sea of folk in their 50s and 60s who're thick as mince. 

That's the whole Dunning-Kruger thing in a nutshell though. If you see yourself as infallible with things to learn then you'll probably learn from your experiences and mistakes, if you don't you won't and you'll stay an idiot.

Wisdom comes with age

but only if you’ve been  paying attention 

The phrase 'university of life' is overused by numpties - but a lot of younger posters see this and therefore dismiss wisdom altogether. There's definitely a level of valuable life experience that is gained over time, and there's also no doubt that the phrase was flogged to death by fannies. They're not mutually exclusive.

I'd probably say that as time passes, the vast majority of folk get 'smarter' about things - but some start off from such a low base that it makes very little difference.

Anyone who dismisses expereince out of hand is an idiot of course....

For example...... you have reach the age of 30 and theres nothing of note you would desperatley love to tell your 18 year old self, you have absolutely made a c**t of it.

33 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

It's absolutely not. What I mean is there are a lot of events which older folks have experienced but younger people will only know of through second-hand accounts, be they verbal, written, or media. 

An example: I am well aware of the posturing, brinkmanship and general international dread caused by the Cuban Missile Crisis. I was unable. due to lack of personal experience, to appreciate the feelings of impotence, uncertainty and fear felt by normal people at the time. Until, thirty years later, I was watching coverage of the conflict in Kuwait and saw that there were rockets going from Iraq into Israel. I honestly thought that we were on the verge of WWIII. I have talked to the Rosettes about it, and it is obvious they* can't really understand how fragile existence can feel at times. 

*Even Number One, who was resident in Mrs WRK's belly at the time. 

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

For example...... you have reach the age of 30 and theres nothing of note you would desperatley love to tell your 18 year old self, you have absolutely made a c**t of it.

Sure, but the idea that accumulated experience equates to wisdom may not stand up to much scrutiny

29 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Puts what I meant in answer to OTIG much more succinctly. Thank you. 

Sure, but the idea that accumulated experience equates to wisdom may not stand up to much scrutiny
Not by default certainly. Idiots are going to be idiots.

The point really was just that you cant dismiss experience any more than you can rely on it to produce results all by itself.

But then, WRK referenced Granny Danger in his post so theres an opportunity to knock it down at a much lower level anyway....

I had tremendous fun as an 18 year old from being a reckless idiot, I wouldn't want to spoil that with some sensible grown up advice.
I wish I'd went for it but more.

I've got a level of confidence now that i never had. At some point you realise that life's not all planned out and organised by some higher powers. There's numpties at all levels, and i was too much of a shitebag.

I speak up much more now, in a way that i just wouldn't have (as I'd have been too scared to). So many people are afraid to ask things.

And obviously the biggest area of that when you're young is talking to girls. I was dreadful, terrified of rejection.

Now I'm married i reckon I'd be fucking brilliant on the dating scene. Confident without being a dick - that's the key.

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I had tremendous fun as an 18 year old from being a reckless idiot, I wouldn't want to spoil that with some sensible grown up advice.

I would absolutely have told my 18-year-old self that, when you get the chance in few years, get that house bought. Delaying my jump onto the property ladder has probably cost me hundreds of thousands, given that I'm on the verge of downsizing to something more suitable for a soon-to-be-retired couple. 

I might have let slip a few Grand National/FA Cup winners, as well...

8 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Her Majesty's Prison Service has a saying: "There's a difference between experience and time in."

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

1 minute ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I might have let slip a few Grand National/FA Cup winners, as well...

Aye my advice to my 18 year old self would have been how to have more sex and stick everything you own on Greece winning Euro 2004 and Leicester winning the Premier League in 2015/16.

12 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Aye my advice to my 18 year old self would have been how to have more sex and stick everything you own on Greece winning Euro 2004 and Leicester winning the Premier League in 2015/16.

I remember an article at the end of 1990 which said if you'd had a £1 accumulator on Douglas to beat Tyson, Scotland to win the Grand Slam, Mr Frisk to win the National, Suaramez for the Arc and a couple of other unlikely but not unimaginable results, you'd have been into Bill Gates territory.

ETA: The reason I remember this (or mostly, at least) is that, shortly after absolutely raping the local bookies (11/4? at thome? Yes, please!)and most of my regulars in the Imperial (twenty points start? Go on then..)who thought England just had to turn up at Murrayfield, I managed to back (at 33s, S.P.28/1 I believe) the National winner for the last time before Tiger Roll in 2018. 

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie