Scotland v Moldova

Just now, The Moonster said:

He's looking after set-pieces, not doing the pre/post-match presser or picking the team. Much like Cathro, McPhee has an excellent reputation as a coach, their performance as a manager isn't really relevant.

As long as they are not looking at him as the long term replacement for Clarke as we used to do in the days of Roxburgh and Brown, i'm happy with that.

Technically he could also be good for the youth set up.

I guess we may be using some of our income from the Euros to bring him onto the Scotland set up as were NI not able to offer better wages than we could a few years ago.

Just now, realmadrid said:

As long as they are not looking at him as the long term replacement for Clarke as we used to do in the days of Roxburgh and Brown, i'm happy with that.

Technically he could also be good for the youth set up.

I guess we may be using some of our income from the Euros to bring him onto the Scotland set up as were NI not able to offer better wages than we could a few years ago.

I would not put it past the SFA to do that but I hope not. He's clearly a good guy to have on the coaching team but unsure he can lead it, doesn't quite have the "presence" for it IMO. 

NI brought him in around 2014 and they won their qualification group for the first time ever, they scored 11 goals from set pieces and Michael O'Neill said a lot of it was down to MacPhee's work ethic and ideas. Baraclough has also publicly praised MacPhee for his tactical ideas. I think he'll bring a lot to the table. 

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Has Patterson even played this season?

Aye. Against Dunfermline. 

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

He's still a better option than "Liam Palmer" or any of the other flavour of the month right wing-backs kicking about.

You must not realise that Anthony Ralston is actually Scottish, it’s an easy mistake to make since he plays like a Brazilian wing back so don’t be embarrassed.   

3 minutes ago, gannonball said:

You must not realise that Anthony Ralston is actually Scottish, it’s an easy mistake to make since he plays like a Brazilian wing back so don’t be embarrassed.   

That's funny coming from a Celtic fan, didn't you all want him binned a few short weeks ago?

6 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

That's funny coming from a Celtic fan, didn't you all want him binned a few short weeks ago?

I didnt as he was literally the only right back we had. He also should have got game time ahead of that huddy Jonjoe Kenny especially when we knew he was potentially our only right back for the euro qualifiers.

Whether he is Scotlands or Celtic’s answer remains to be seen but I would have had him in ahead of a guy who’s had next to no game or and little experience to fall back on.  Patterson could probably do with game time right now so the u21s would probably make more sense  and would send a message to him. I get why Clarke is wanting to chop and change too much though.

Edited by gannonball

3 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I didnt as he was literally the only right back we had. He also should have got game time ahead of that huddy Jonjoe Kenny especially when we knew he was potentially our only right back for the euros.

Whether he is Scotlands or Celtic’s answer remains to be seen but I would have had him in ahead of a guy who’s had next to no game or and little experience to fall back on.  Patterson could probably do with game time right now so the u21s would probably make more sense right now and would send a message to him. I get why Clarke is wanting to chop and change too much though.

Isn't it a good thing that he hasn't been rewarded too soon as it will hopefully encourage him to maintain or improve his performances especially with new competition from Juranovic. Celtic have provided Scotland with some great players now and in the past but I really don't think it's a big deal Ralston didn't make it for this squad and I hope he keeps his fantastic form up, holds his place at Celtic and we have Ralston and Patterson dooking it out for years to come.

4 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Isn't it a good thing that he hasn't been rewarded too soon as it will hopefully encourage him to maintain or improve his performances especially with new competition from Juranovic. Celtic have provided Scotland with some great players now and in the past but I really don't think it's a big deal Ralston didn't make it for this squad and I hope he keeps his fantastic form up, holds his place at Celtic and we have Ralston and Patterson dooking it out for years to come.

Yeah tbh normally neither should really be in this squad but because of lack of options one of them is. My preference would be a more match fit one though.

3 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
4 minutes ago, gannonball said:
Yeah tbh normally neither should really be in this squad but because of lack of options one of them is. My preference would be a more match fit one though.

Ramsay?

Very early days,  I think he will have a better career than Ralston but Ralston shades it right now for his experience. Both Patterson and Ramsay seem to be a fair bit more mobile than Ralston however if Clarke is looking for a different option to O’Donnell perhaps.

I worry about a Scotland midfield that doesn't have Ryan Jack in it and I worry even more when Scott McTominay isn't there either. I think we'll struggle in the middle of the park more than at the back - good to see Robbo will make it. That said, if we get the mix right in there we should be able to carve teams open, Turnbull and Gilmour have a lot of quality between them there, I just worry defensively. 

Yeah that's my overriding impression - that our midfield lacks a certain presence. The guys we have will be fine and look great against Moldova (when they will hopefully have a bit more time on the ball and can flood forward), they'll probably hold their own Vs Austria, but against Denmark I think we might need a bit more quality in defensive midfield.

Overall though that's the right squad - keeping together the Euros core, and making progressive (younger and realistic) changes where they were enforced.

Patterson and Ferguson hopefully to start Vs Moldova. Strongest XI for the other 2 games:

Gordon

O'Donnell Hanley Cooper Tierney Robertson

Gilmour McGregor Turnbull

McGinn

Adams

18 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I didnt as he was literally the only right back we had. He also should have got game time ahead of that huddy Jonjoe Kenny especially when we knew he was potentially our only right back for the euro qualifiers.

Whether he is Scotlands or Celtic’s answer remains to be seen but I would have had him in ahead of a guy who’s had next to no game or and little experience to fall back on.  Patterson could probably do with game time right now so the u21s would probably make more sense  and would send a message to him. I get why Clarke is wanting to chop and change too much though.

Ramsay has played more than Ralston and arguably been better. There's a reason that Patterson is the subject of multi-million pound bids from EPL sides and Ralston isn't. You know yourself if Ange had any time to get in a competent right back Ralston would've been nowhere near the side, he was pish for St Johnstone. The fact he's done better than expected for you shouldn't guarantee him a call up, although I do hope he continues to play well and puts himself in contention for the next squad.