Lowland league Attendances

The Faceman

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

That won't fit some people's preferred narrative on colt teams but the reality is that Rangers B are likely to draw an unusually good crowd in most ex-mining towns across the central belt.

I think that's part of it, as well as there being some novelty especially for teams that fit your description who've never played Celtic or Rangers under any guise.

There was also a lack of other games in the East today. No Hearts or Hibs game. Spartans and Edinburgh away. Even further afield Livingston and Dunfermline were away. I think today is about the ceiling for a visit from either one of the B teams.

Edited by Benidorm

10 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

That won't fit some people's preferred narrative on colt teams but the reality is that Rangers B are likely to draw an unusually good crowd in most ex-mining towns across the central belt.

Bonnyrigg had several attendances in excess of that pre-covid.  There were also no competing Hearts or Hibs games today with the pair meeting tomorrow.

12 hours ago, Benidorm said:

I think that's part of it, as well as there being some novelty especially for teams that fit your description who've never played Celtic or Rangers under any guise...

Rangers used to regularly send out an XI to do testimonial or centenary type games, ground opening fixtures etc against teams in their heartland areas (e.g. former coalfields, west Highlands and Lewis) so that won't necessarily be the case but definitely understand where you are coming from in terms of competitive fixtures.

There's a certain irony to two of the clubs opposed to what happened on colt teams (Bonnyrigg and Bo'ness and rightly so IMO) being the most likely to actually benefit from a minor financial windfall out of it on crowds. The level of awareness of who Broomhill SC are and where they play their home games is probably still minimal in and around Alloa. Ditto with Caledonian Braves in Lanarkshire, unlike what would happen if Cambuslang Rangers, Blantyre Vics or Larkhall Thistle were involved.

The 500+ crowds Bonnyrigg Rose are attracting right now demonstrate that there are clubs in the central belt outside the SPFL that won't need a sugar daddy to be able to sustain themselves in the lower two national divisions. Once clubs like Clydebank, Irvine Meadow and Pollok become part of the mix in LL terms it will be interesting to see what happens.

I think that's part of it, as well as there being some novelty especially for teams that fit your description who've never played Celtic or Rangers under any guise.

I’ll never understand the “novelty” of facing a B team. Totally bizarre - it’s not THE Celtic or Rangers, its a bunch of their kids. Any right minded fan should be boycotting all these games and leaving the gloryhunting locals to go and see their beloved B teams play - so they can pretend to be big fans of their vile clubs. I have no doubt that the crowds for these games are bolstered by the local gloryhunters going for their big day out.

• 1 month later...