Rank the Goalkeepers

3 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I remember Rab getting booked for marking the width of his goals on his 6 yard box with you.  

he was asked in an interview afterwards about it,  and it was along the lines of ‘aye, I was right to get booked, you’re no meant to do that but I’ve done it for 25 years and it’s the first time I’ve been caught’

I basically grew up thinking that was within the laws of the game due to Rab tbf.

ETA: He'd do it every game in the warm up then emphasise it at every goal kick.

Edited by Ludo*1

4 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

The disrespect to Joe Lewis by some of the tinpot clubs is laughable. 

Top 3: 

1.) McGregor

2.) Lewis (based on how good a keeper he is, not his couple howlers last season) 

3.) Gordon 

I like Kelly, Seigrist and Clark but don't think they are as good shot stoppers as the first 3. 

Was all going swimmingly until you had the audacity to try and bring Zander Clark into it.

Clark has it in him to be a quality keeper. He's deservedly became first choice ahead of Mannus years ago and shouldve been capped.

f**k knows what's happened as he turned into a complete disaster over the past 2/3 seasons. Just simple things consistently letting him down. Last season in the league he was conceded a goal for every 2 shots he faced.

Cup form was a flashback to what he used to be, be massive for us if he can bring that back to the league.

goalkeepers should be rated on how many points they have won or saved for their teams...and reading various forums last season if it wasnt for seigreist(sp) united would have by -passed the championship and just dropped right into league 1.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Clark has it in him to be a quality keeper. He's deservedly became first choice ahead of Mannus years ago and shouldve been capped.

f**k knows what's happened as he turned into a complete disaster over the past 2/3 seasons. Just simple things consistently letting him down. Last season in the league he was conceded a goal for every 2 shots he faced.

Cup form was a flashback to what he used to be, be massive for us if he can bring that back to the league.

This is it. We’ve seen he’s capable of winning games for us (ala Ibrox in the cup and not based on his attacking contribution), but the propensity to drop a howler every 4/5 games isn’t good enough. He’s getting back to where he was, but the best keepers in the league don’t have fans repeatedly asking whether he could have done better at goals. 

Top 5 probably has to be (in no order) 

Siegrist
McGregor
Alnwick
Kelly
Stryjek

Although I reckon Alnwick, Kelly and Stryjek are all basically at the same level albeit with different strengths. Kelly for example does very well with penalties. Siegrist and McGregor as in tiers of their own above those 3.

Joe Lewis was decent once but is a bit of a clownshoes keeper nowadays and chucked a few in against us. Clark is a non-starter despite winning cups as he's so inconsistent. Joe Hart was finished years ago and has been stuck unable to get a game for English jobbers.

Edited by ATLIS

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Should never have dropped Mannus. Had another 2 seasons in him (at least) at the point you lot went with Clark.

Form is temporary as we seen with Scott Bain.

Some thought Scott Bain was the next Julian Speroni. Some even went as far to say that he was better than Rab Douglas was in his second spell for us. That was his initial 6 month brilliance. Then eventually, it all went wrong and Elliott Parish ended up keeping more clean sheets in fewer games (by a considerable distance) in the same season.

You never got punished the same way we did, but it was still a bad choice IMO.

1 minute ago, ATLIS said:

Top 5 probably has to be (in no order) 

Siegrist
McGregor
Alnwick
Kelly
Stryjek

Although I reckon Alnwick, Kelly and Stryjek are all basically at the same level albeit with different strengths. Kelly for example does very well with penalties. Siegrist and McGregor as in tiers of their own above those 3.

Joe Lewis was decent once but is a bit of a clownshoes keeper nowadays and chucked a few in against us. Clark is a non-starter despite winning cups as he's so inconsistent. Joe Hart was finished years ago and has been stuck unable to get a game for English jobbers.

Craig Gordon?

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Craig Gordon?

Probably nestles comfortably in at 6th which sounds bad, but I'm not sure he's got enough left in him to edge any of those 5. I think a lot of his performances last year were masked by playing against the likes of Arbroath and Queen of the South whilst the others have been performing strongly at the highest level against the top teams in the country. Every chance that if this was done again this time next year that he could be anywhere in that top 5 but I'm not sure a campaign in the Championship is enough to dislodge any of the above.

Just now, Orbix said:

Didn’t McLaughlin manage better numbers than two out of that five in the league?

McLaughlin would be near the top for me. He was brilliant for Hearts.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Should never have dropped Mannus. Had another 2 seasons in him (at least) at the point you lot went with Clark.

From memory I think Mannus wanted to go back to Ireland before he retired, and Clark was at an age where he either became first choice or left. It wasn't a bad decision at the time and it's only the last 2 seasons where Clark has really began to stink the place out. Mannus continuing to apparently play well in Ireland hasn't made that decision look any better either I suppose.

Just now, ATLIS said:

Probably nestles comfortably in at 6th which sounds bad, but I'm not sure he's got enough left in him to edge any of those 5. I think a lot of his performances last year were masked by playing against the likes of Arbroath and Queen of the South whilst the others have been performing strongly at the highest level against the top teams in the country. Every chance that if this was done again this time next year that he could be anywhere in that top 5 but I'm not sure a campaign in the Championship is enough to dislodge any of the above.

If you offered me Gordon, Stryjek, Alnwick, or Kelly, it wouldn't even really be a debate. I'd be throwing money at Gordon. I think Alnwick & Kelly are overrated personally. 

Gordon just won Hearts the game against Celtic the other night which discounts the Arbroath/QotS argument IMO.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

If you offered me Gordon, Stryjek, Alnwick, or Kelly, it wouldn't even really be a debate. I'd be throwing money at Gordon. I think Alnwick & Kelly are overrated personally. 

Gordon just won Hearts the game against Celtic the other night which discounts the Arbroath/QotS argument IMO.

Have you seen much of Alnwick's performances over the past year?

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I reckon it'd be a fairly close one to pick between those. Kelly IMO is Scotland's next keeper, and as long as he cuts out the one or two mistakes a season he has then he's a very good Scotland level keeper. Alnwick needs to prove his consistency this season, same for Stryjek now that he's over his back injury. 

Not sure he won the game for them but made a decent string of saves, just needs to translate into season long consistency, as I said though, could be this time next year that he's proved where he's at.