Amazon’s Tolkien Adaptation - Coming 2nd September 2022 Discussion

Thorongil

That trailer gave me a full body minter. Will still watch it though...well...hate watch it.

The first season was just a load of characters and events randomly chopped from Tolkiens story, shoved in a blender and shat out by a cave troll along side other nuggetty turds like Orondir or whatever his name was, the King of the southlands rubbish, Mordor being switched on by a sword, the Harfuds and not-Gandalf etc. The Isildur plot line...

However now the writers have to build on these terrible plot lines and characters for season two of this lore obliterating jobby.

#notMyBombadil

Good to see the Tuscan Raiders have found new acting roles though. 

On a more general note, looks like pretty much all of the best franchises are now one huge big shite filled dumpster fire.

• 4 weeks later...

Watched the first episode and the first 15 minuites of the second.

Plot is garbage.

The dialogue is mostly tragic again. It's like im watching a really bad fan fiction made by a really bad film student.

Still going to hate watch though.

On 29/08/2024 at 13:35, Wee Bully said:

Just watched episode 1 of Series 2. 

No spoilers, but some of the scenes were so badly lit I could hardly make out what the hell was going on. 

Hate when they do that, then having to turn up the brightness to try and see it better.

17 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I would simply NOT be deceived by Sauron the Deceiver.

Is Celebrimbor stupid?

Yeah, I get it. Sauron is a master of deception, the source material says so. But they didn't shoot it well. They shot it in such a way that made Celebrimbor seem like a moron. 

33 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Elf!!!

FFS 🤬

Yeah I clocked that after I posted it, then thought il leave it and see if it gets pulled up 🤣

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah, I get it. Sauron is a master of deception, the source material says so. But they didn't shoot it well. They shot it in such a way that made Celebrimbor seem like a moron. 

Yeah I clocked that after I posted it, then thought il leave it and see if it gets pulled up 🤣

Totally agree with your point though. 

They've totally misrepresented the partial naivety and innocence of 1st and 2nd Age Elfdom, and mostly portrayed them as a bunch of oblivious morons. Exceptions being when Elrond is basically telling Galadriel to wind her neck in, and Gil Galad, who they seem to have written as suffering from some sort of personality disorder that sees him flip character from one extreme to the other on a whim. 

It's every bit as much shite as series 1, but I'm going to force myself to watch it through my fingers. 

Funny how the first half of series one was mostly people thinking "that can't possibly be Sauron, it's too cheesy and predictable", yet it turned out to be true, and now this season so far is all "Those guys can't possibly be Gandalf and Saruman, it's too cheesy and predictable, they must be random Blue Wizards...."

Heres a question.

How does Sauron regenerate into a black Spaghetti goo monster if there is no ring to bing him to the physical world after his body dies? Or did he make the One Ring off screen?

Does that not make the whole Lord of the Rings a bit pointless?

Edited by mishtergrolsch

5 minutes ago, bennett said:

The orc family,  😂

Totally cringe, but as Tolkien himself said that Orcs reproduce in exactly the same manner as Elves and Men, it's not totally out of canon. Not as egregious as the multi-racial Numenoreans and Elves.

On 05/09/2024 at 20:43, Savage Henry said:

Aw f**k.  Tom Bombadil.   Utter dick.  

They basically lifted half the dialogue from Fellowship of the ring book. Good i suppose they're using actual source material but in the wrong situation. 

In 2 minds about this series, the locations, costumes and the way the orcs look is fairly true to the movies. Keeping the same actor for Annatar with a bit of makeup though makes Celebrimbor look like an idiot.

Some of the dialogue is basic to brutal. 

6 hours ago, PrestersKTID said:

They basically lifted half the dialogue from Fellowship of the ring book. Good i suppose they're using actual source material but in the wrong situation. 

In 2 minds about this series, the locations, costumes and the way the orcs look is fairly true to the movies. Keeping the same actor for Annatar with a bit of makeup though makes Celebrimbor look like an idiot.

Some of the dialogue is basic to brutal. 

It’s certainly something when you yearn for Lenny Henry doing an Irish accent to bring a bit of gravitas back.