Amazon’s Tolkien Adaptation - Coming 2nd September 2022 Discussion

Thorongil

In a nutshell, courtesy of Wikipedia.

There were 20 great Rings of power

The One Ring
9 for the men
7 for the dwarves
3 for the elves (made secretly by Celebrimbor)

When Sauron put the one ring on the elves immediately sensed his influence and removed their rings. Although Sauron didn’t help make those rings, they had still been crafted using his knowledge and techniques.

When Sauron discovered this he was enraged, waged war against the elves and overran Eregion. He tortured and killed Celebrimbor, who revealed where the 7 and 9 were but not the 3. Sauron seized the 7 and 9 while the 3 were saved by the Elves - Gil-galad, Círdan, and Galadriel.

4 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I haven’t been watching the series but why have they changed the original story? Why is “Halbrand” Sauron and not “Annatar?” Why has Sauron revealed himself to Galadriel instead of the elves finding out the truth when they wear their rings?

Because like it or not having at least some mystique over Sauron made for better TV. Introducing him as Annatar, while lore accurate, wouldn't have been as exciting.

Because like it or not having at least some mystique over Sauron made for better TV. Introducing him as Annatar, while lore accurate, wouldn't have been as exciting.

I don’t agree. I think it would be just as exciting if they stuck to the lore. Everyone knows what’s coming but it’s how they do it that has people hooked. I’m sure the original trilogy largely stuck to the lore without changing the story to introduce big ‘reveals’ and whatnot. I don’t mind introducing new characters and storylines to give characters like Gandalf a backstory where (I believe) there was none. But actually deviating from the lore for the main storyline is stupid.

11 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I don’t agree. I think it would be just as exciting if they stuck to the lore. Everyone knows what’s coming but it’s how they do it that has people hooked. I’m sure the original trilogy largely stuck to the lore without changing the story to introduce big ‘reveals’ and whatnot. I don’t mind introducing new characters and storylines to give characters like Gandalf a backstory where (I believe) there was none. But actually deviating from the lore for the main storyline is stupid.

What counts as a deviation from the lore? There were major deviations from the LORE in the movie trilogy, ones that went strongly against the themes of the books and were done for audience gratification or excitement

Lothlorien Elves showing up for the Battle of Helms Deep. This never happened in the books but it made a cool scene for the movie and crammed in more elves. But went against a major theme of the boks where the elves were diminished.

On 20/10/2022 at 07:06, jamamafegan said:

It's not if it makes for good tv. I thought Halbrand was an interesting character and having him as Sauron was something of a twist.

Until the last episode when they butchered any remaining subtlety or dubiety about 25 minutes too early but still.

On 21/10/2022 at 23:24, GiGi said:

It's not if it makes for good tv. I thought Halbrand was an interesting character and having him as Sauron was something of a twist.

Until the last episode when they butchered any remaining subtlety or dubiety about 25 minutes too early but still.

Having Halbrand turn into a Nazgul, flying in the face of the Aragorn arc of "forgotten king saves his people" wouldve been better, for me, i think. Theres hints to him being Sauron throughout but its caused huge holes in the story.

Id have liked the season to have ended with us finding out Sauron has been with the elves in Eregion the whole time, just unseen, and it was him who'd convinced them they needed mithril, and then the rings.

Having Halbrand as Sauron stinks of someone trying to be too clever.

On 19/10/2022 at 22:00, jamamafegan said:

I haven’t been watching the series but why have they changed the original story? Why is “Halbrand” Sauron and not “Annatar?” Why has Sauron revealed himself to Galadriel instead of the elves finding out the truth when they wear their rings?

They're not allowed to use 'Annatar' due to copyright or something 

6 hours ago, Squalor Vic said:

They're not allowed to use 'Annatar' due to copyright or something 

Yeah, I believe they've got the rights to the 3 Jackson films, the Hobbit Trilogy and Appendices. Not the Silmarillion. 

So probably why they've had to change the story somewhat. But, imo anyway, they could have come up with a better story than rubbish like Mithril being a Silmaril or some shite that the immortal Elves need to keep being immortal.

Or not having a clue there's no king of the Southlands when there are Elven watchtowers watching over the Southlands for how long?

Or Celebrimbor being the most talented smith at that time not having thought about alloy metals. 

And so on....

3 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Yeah, I believe they've got the rights to the 3 Jackson films, the Hobbit Trilogy and Appendices. Not the Silmarillion. 

So probably why they've had to change the story somewhat. But, imo anyway, they could have come up with a better story than rubbish like Mithril being a Silmaril or some shite that the immortal Elves need to keep being immortal.

Or not having a clue there's no king of the Southlands when there are Elven watchtowers watching over the Southlands for how long?

Or Celebrimbor being the most talented smith at that time not having thought about alloy metals. 

And so on....

There is definite holes in there aye haha. I've still enjoyed it for the most part and look forward to seeing where they go with it

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught up with last 2 episodes.

After all the speculation it turns out that the villain is who many thought all along.

They might as well have put a neon sign over his head "Sauron is here".

I genuinely thought the clues were red herrings but no - it seems this is aimed an audience where subtlety doesn't work.

I won't go into the glaring holes in the plots in terms of canon except to say that there's diverging from the original and there's completely rewriting it so that what's produced bears little resemblance to the written word.

That doesn't mean I won't watch the next series - it just means I'll go in watching it with absolutely no idea where they'll take us.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/04/2023 at 12:38, Miguel Sanchez said:

I’m surprised 37% bothered with it.

This is the Lord of the Rings that Gen Z deserve.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I finally decided to give this a go. I've really not fancied it.

Watched 3 episodes.  It's as dull as f**k.  I genuinely don't care about any of the characters they have introduced so far. 

The Hobbit-lite storyline is utterly abysmal and the big reveal they're building to about the guy that fell from the sky is that he's Gandalf, right? 

I think I'll be one of the 63% that gave up on it. 

3 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

My wife and I finally decided to give this a go. I've really not fancied it.

Watched 3 episodes.  It's as dull as f**k.  I genuinely don't care about any of the characters they have introduced so far. 

The Hobbit-lite storyline is utterly abysmal and the big reveal they're building to about the guy that fell from the sky is that he's Gandalf, right? 

I think I'll be one of the 63% that gave up on it. 

I thought it got good, or at least.... Entertaining towards the end. I'd stick with it. 

• 8 months later...

From Reddit. Rumoured leaks. Absolute car crash stuff if true. Points 14 onwards are staggering.

Last chance to not be spoiled by significant story leaks for The Rings of Power.

Without further ado, here’s the potentially explosive leak about the story direction for Season 2 of The Rings of Power. While TheOneRing.net has no way of confirming this, the sources are allegedly people close to the series Producers.

We’ve broken these rumours down for you into bite-size form, but you can also read the original presentation from Anonymous — just click the image underneath.

1. Amazon has newly expanded rights to plot points from The Silmarillion.
  2. S2E1 opening scene is Eru using the secret flame to create Melkor.
  3. Melkor (then) watches as Eru creates all the Valar and the Maiar.
  4. Eru is a disembodied voice vaguely human shaped but no characteristics can be made out.
  5. The secret flame is golden, as are all the Valar and the Maiar.
  6. The Valar are larger than the Maiar, but are bathed in a golden light and completely naked (the scenes were filmed with nude figures in strategic lighting.)
  7. Sauron will be played primarily by three actors in Season 2.
  8. Sauron — in Mairon form, and called such — is NOT Halbrand (Charlie Vickers) or Annatar (Gavi Singh Chera).
  9. After the fourth interruption of the Song, several Maia meet and discuss Melkor’s discordance.
  10. Mithrandir (Gandalf) is in this scene.
  11. Mithrandir (Gandalf) is “almost” convinced to support Mairon’s (Sauron) agenda.
  12. Mairon gives an epic speech, “The One has blessed me more so than all of you to see the potential of His creations, and what better way to forge their mettle than by allowing them to face Melkor’s discord and grow beyond what they think capable!”
  13. Sauron tells the dwarves he apprenticed under Aulë, so they welcome him with open arms.
  14. Sauron had a son who Adar killed.
  15. Horse lovers rejoice! A dedicated “bottle” episode with little dialog will tell the story of the first Mearas (Editor: these are the great horses of the Rohirrim), Felaróf, and introduce Shadowfax.
  16. Gandalf (Meteor Man) meets Shadowfax.
  17. Tom Bombadil and Goldberry are in an episode.
  18. They are played by the same actor and actress as Melkor/Morgoth and Ungoliant from Episode 1.
  19. The pair, as Bombadil and Goldberry, are serving out a punishment from Mandos per “a long-held fan theory” (Editor: this “long-held fan theory” is news to us.).
  20. The season will end with Sauron forging the One Ring.

8 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

"Interesting", shall we say.

Incidentally, has anyone had the strength of will to watch Season 1 for a second time? I've pondered it a couple of times but never had the guts.

Nah. I'll only watch season two out of morbid curiosity.

Sauron might have a kid.

Lolz. 

9 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

"Interesting", shall we say.

Incidentally, has anyone had the strength of will to watch Season 1 for a second time? I've pondered it a couple of times but never had the guts.

If season one had been two episodes long I might have.