Scotland Squad face September

Craigieboy86

Wonder if we'll call up a replacement. Ferguson and probably McGregor and maybe Turnbull would be able to perform a similar role to Armstrong at the Euros if we stick with that shape. I wouldn't be against The People's Favourite getting a call but I'm not sure if that's possible plus it's the one position where a call-off is probably fine.

I think the midfield shape for Denmark and Austria will look more like the shape against England and the shape against Moldova will look more like how we tried to play against the Faroes, Czech Republic and Croatia so I'm not sure Armstrong was necessarily in line for much game time.

Not surprised he missed out as he didn't feature in Southampton's 8 - 0 cup win last night and I would be looking to Christie, Forrest, Fraser or Turnbull to fill in where he would have been needed. I don't think we need to call someone new up and if we do then I doubt they'd start.

Edited by 2426255

Watching Patterson again tonight, he really is a very naive defender, getting caught out of position a lot and going after balls he can't win. Excellent going forward though, great dribbler, very direct and gets himself into really good attacking positions.

Quite similar to O'Donnell in terms of being much better going forward than back, which I suppose suits our wing-back role anyway.

Clarke has said there won't be anyone called up for the Denmark game, which doesn't make sense to me (unless there is some covid testing related reason why we can't, which I doubt). It seems to be a constant trait of Scotland managers to avoid bringing in extra bodies when folk pull out, and I don't really understand it.

MacPhee is isolating too, so Steven Naismith is going to help with our coaching instead.

Edited by craigkillie

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Clarke has said there won't be anyone called up for the Denmark game, which doesn't make sense (unless there is some covid testing related reason why we can't, which I doubt) to me. It seems to be a constant trait of Scotland managers to avoid bringing in extra bodies when folk pull out, and I don't really understand it.

MacPhee is isolating too, so Steven Naismith is going to help with our coaching instead.

The reality is we don't have a right back, or even a pretend right back for our biggest game of the group (Fraser is neither match fit, nor a right back).

Why can't we call in Ramsay for the Denmark game, and then he can play in Turkey 6 days later?

Ralston is the other obvious option.  Taking zero is just asking for trouble.

On 26/08/2021 at 12:19, Marshmallo said:

It really should be Gauld at this stage in all seriousness.

Is there not multiple complications with travel restrictions from Canada? I heard he'd need to quarantine on arrival and return so would have had to already been here missing MLS games then would miss a few on return as well. I may be wrong on that though. 

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Canada is on our green list so can't see any issues coming this way.

Did they not only move on to it today? And it was only announced on Thursday. People travelling to Canada still have to quarantine for 14 days so he would need to quarantine on return.

I think it is difficult to know form one day to the next what the situation is so it would be difficult to select him and then if all these restrictions are in place surely it is only fair to pick him if he's a certain starter otherwise it would be very unfair on him.

"Probably two years into my international career it has probably been the most disruptive camp in terms of call-offs, which is disappointing," said head coach Steve Clarke.

"But I think I have enough in the current group to go to Denmark and hopefully get the result we all want.

"Medical advice and information tells me that both John and Nathan should join us after the Denmark game, which is good, so I don't have to delve too deep for replacements." Steve Clarke