Animal Lover

Related to the Afghan crisis but thought wider discussion merited a thread. An animal rescue centre on Kabul has had its pets evacuated by the British government. Pen Farthing was given a spot on an RAF plane along with 94 dogs and 74 cats. His Afghan staff were not evacuated. There are limited slots for potential evacuees, meaning that Afghans who have worked with the British government have likely been left behind to take some stray dogs.

There have been various anonymous MPs quoted the last few days saying that they’ve had more correspondence from constituents on the Afghan pet sanctuary than Afghan refugees. British people have long been known for a love of animals - whenever I’ve holidayed in Cyprus the locals treat stray cats as a pest whereas you regularly see British tourists sitting with mangy strays on their laps while eating in restaurants.

YouGov carried out a poll in this subject this week, asking respondents what was worth more animal or human life.

I think the respondents in this poll are kidding themselves. If you *really* thought killing an animal was the same as killing a human then you’d be burning down abattoirs. Most of the people who replied that won’t even be vegetarians.

Would any P&Bers prioritise Afghan Hounds over Afghan people?

Feel like the poll should have been:

Animals are worth more than people like me (Y/N)

Animals are worth more than people not like me (Y/N)

A lot of the posturing on Twitter simply comes down to them valuing dogs above non white people, it's a disgrace.

I've not really followed the story but why would the Afghan staff of rescue dogs be at the front of the process? I'm not saying the dogs should be of course but I'm guessing the whole evacuation process differentiates from humans and animals. 

Is there some risk level done to who is getting evacuated? I can't see animal shelter employees being at the top of the Taliban hit list.

I quite like dogs and cats but i think that the keeping of pets is an unsanitary practice in an urban environment and should be outlawed. 

The bigger issue in this story is the government's failure. It's not clear that the space the animals had would otherwise have been occupied because they couldn't get the right people through the airport. 

i love my old collie as much as anyone loves any animal in the world, but who you are bringing out that burning building 1st, your 10 year old daughter or your French Bulldog ?

i'd really like to see a poll of anonymous doctors who got asked ''if a nonce got absolutely batted by an angry mob, would you really be trying as hard to save his life as you did when that young boy got knocked of his bike by a Toyota Hilux ''

46 minutes ago, 101 said:

Feel like the poll should have been:

Animals are worth more than people like me (Y/N)

Animals are worth more than people not like me (Y/N)

A lot of the posturing on Twitter simply comes down to them valuing dogs above non white people, it's a disgrace.

By that logic, and going by the poll results, young people are more racist than other age groups.  I doubt that.

FWIW whilst I am sure the poll results are genuine and the methodology sound I do not think the questions lend themselves to serious consideration by those taking part.

6 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

i love my old collie as much as anyone loves any animal in the world, but who you are bringing out that burning building 1st, your 10 year old daughter or your French Bulldog ?

What if it was your collie and someone else's 10 year old daughter ?

8 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It's an interesting dilemma.

I don't think it's as simple as a blanket acceptance of animals or humans. There's bound to be people you'd rather leave, or dogs.

"You, You, not you, Rover, you...

Which PnB poster would you leave with The Taliban?

Detournement. He'd bore them into surrender.

48 minutes ago, SANTAN said:

I've not really followed the story but why would the Afghan staff of rescue dogs be at the front of the process? I'm not saying the dogs should be of course but I'm guessing the whole evacuation process differentiates from humans and animals. 

Is there some risk level done to who is getting evacuated? I can't see animal shelter employees being at the top of the Taliban hit list.

He wanted a slot on the runway for his privately charted flight, had Kabul airport been operating as normal then no problem but it was probably the busiest airport in the world at that moment, not to mention under constant thread of rocket attacks on planes landing and taking off.

He also required to basically skip the queue of people waiting to get on the plane, also loading the cargo is slower the passengers for obvious reasons, in the end he left his donkeys and staff for dead, helping the west regardless of their involvement isn't looked warmly by the Taliban, and got himself and his cats and dogs to f**k, in the end taking up space on a military plane which is what he wanted to avoid.

Edited by 101
Spelling and grammar

In my first serious contribution to this thread, I do like dogs but would still save any 10 year old child from a burning building before saving a dog.

It does become a moral conundrum when you start with specifics. Save a disabled child over a drug addict adult, female over male, young over old, Boris over Keir (correct answer is let them both burn - in fact where's that petrol can).

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

He wanted a slot on the runway for his privately charted flight, had Kabul airport been operating as normal then no problem but it was probably the busiest airport in the world at the moment, not to mention under constant thread of rocket attacks on planes landing and taking off.

He also required to basically skip the queue of people waiting to get on the plane, also loading the cargo is slower the pasangers for obvious reasons, in the end he left his donkeys and staff for dead, helping the west regardless of their involvement isn't looked warmly by the Taliban, and got himself and his cats and dogs to f**k, in the end taking up space on a military plane which is what he wanted to avoid.

NOT THE DONKEYS!

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

He wanted a slot on the runway for his privately charted flight, had Kabul airport been operating as normal then no problem but it was probably the busiest airport in the world at the moment, not to mention under constant thread of rocket attacks on planes landing and taking off.

He also required to basically skip the queue of people waiting to get on the plane, also loading the cargo is slower the pasangers for obvious reasons, in the end he left his donkeys and staff for dead, helping the west regardless of their involvement isn't looked warmly by the Taliban, and got himself and his cats and dogs to f**k, in the end taking up space on a military plane which is what he wanted to avoid.

Yeah I understand all of that but my specific point is whether or not the staff would have been allowed on the plane anyway? As I also said you'd imagine there is some risk level approach to who gets priority. 

Of course it's ridiculous to allow the flight rather than ones with potential human passengers I'm just saying maybe after that decision had been made it wasn't possible to take his staff with him on board anyway.