St Mirren v Aberdeen

11 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Aye, McGrath is a clever player. 
You’ll struggle when he leaves in 3 months time. 
Good scouting to get him 

I think he'll be here for the rest of the season . With the failure of his late move to Hibs , it was feared by our support that he may "down tools" , but that hasn't happened . I suppose it would depend on whether there was a queue of teams for him in January , with one willing to pay silly money , but other than that , with us not receiving a development fee , I think he'll sign a PCA with an English team ,  and move next summer , as will McCarthy !

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

Ramsay and Ferguson both had shots that went close, and Samuels wrongly flagged offside when through.  But other than that, lots more at the other end, but probably to be expected.  Hedges was blowing by that point anyway and if he'd been able to stay on, that might have helped - as Emmanuel-Thomas came on and had one of his 80% of non-contribution matches.

We are not the first side to get a man sent off - but slow reaction from the bench to make the necessary adjustments, and yet again the naivety in the side was exposed and it only took ten minutes to go from a winning position to a losing one.  Another test set for this new regime, which they have failed miserably in.

Gallagher was set to come on just before the St Mirren equaliser, to presumably go five at the back. In hindsight, that should have happened straight after the red card.

18 minutes ago, billyg said:

I think he'll be here for the rest of the season . With the failure of his late move to Hibs , it was feared by our support that he may "down tools" , but that hasn't happened . I suppose it would depend on whether there was a queue of teams for him in January , with one willing to pay silly money , but other than that , with us not receiving a development fee , I think he'll sign a PCA with an English team ,  and move next summer , as will McCarthy !

Indeed.

Goodwin will have a replacement lined up anyway. If he goes in January we'll have ample money from his sale to finance any required deal.

We'll also still have Ronan, who even playing at 50% fitness at present, seems to be capable of scoring against bottom six opposition. Also Kiltie will hopefully be fit and should provide another option.

3 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Some good points. 

Regarding the naivety of the side....the 4 man defence that lined up yesterday was respectively 24, 23, 21 and 18 years old. I've never in my puff seen such a young, inexperienced Aberdeen defence, and I suspect it'll be one of the youngest defences ever to start in the top league in Scotland. 

Good point.

I suppose you hope some calm authority from those experienced players around them, but Lewis, Hayes and Brown all seemed to suffer plot loss. 

The system isn't helping them either - and maybe a period of 'play the way you're facing' defensively, rather than the Beckenbauer passes might be needed - Gallagher looks like he'd be happier to do that.

Edited by tarapoa

6 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I have to admit that I just didn't feel confident until that final whistle went. As said above, you guys had plenty of chances to score even with 10 men, always looked more hungry and sharper and I always felt we were outnumbered in midfield. There was a bite about you that we struggled to cope with.

I can't imagine many Saints fans feel confident before the final whistle goes in any game where we're not 3 up.

Quite enjoyed the game yesterday, and my two boys continue their 100% win rate at St Mirren.  

Apart from sitting in the family section and pretty much being on the pitch i was so far forward there were a few things that I noticed yesterday.  

Really liked Goodwin being out for the pre match warm up.  He looked calm and confident and committed.  That got the fans up off their arses and injected some energy.  Hope it happens every week.  

Didn't realise what a unit Curtis Main is.  Main v Brown is the scrap I didn't know I needed to see.  He was put on to keep Broonie away from booting McGrath, it worked well.  

Aberdeen are not a good footballing team.  As close to 'Heads Gone' as I've seen in the last 10 minutes of any game since we lost to a 9 man SEVCO in the cup final that shall not be spoken of.  

Good in flashes, poor overall.