Insulate Britain

10 hours ago, Cheese said:

They guy who got 5 years didn't even take part in the actual protest.

Do you think 5 years is an appropriate sentence for someone discussing non violent political protest on a zoom call ?

Never underestimate the authority of a zoom call.

Viral Handforth Parish Council Star Jackie Weaver Says There Is A ...

10 hours ago, scottsdad said:

One last thought before turning in for the night.

What would be an appropriate sentence in the eyes of more lenient posters here? No "well not this" cop outs, put figures in for jail time/ fines.

Dunno why you felt the need to frame this as some sort of gotcha question.

12 months would be more appropriate and proportionate. 

Do you get that the sentencing for this isn't about some kind of proportionate response to the impact of the protests? It's about discouraging protest full stop and gives the government greater power to do as it pleases.

This forum would have cheered suffragettes being jailed, or would have criticised the Selma to Montgomery march because it blocked roads. 

My question to you would be this. What form of protest to draw attention to something which is a demonstrably urgent threat to life would be appropriate and effective?

8 hours ago, velo army said:

Dunno why you felt the need to frame this as some sort of gotcha question.

My question to you would be this. What form of protest to draw attention to something which is a demonstrably urgent threat to life would be appropriate and effective?

On the first, it wasn't a gotcha question. I just wanted to know what the consensus here is. 

On the second, I would suggest something that actually brings people on to your side rather than pissing off masses. Ultimately these folk should stand for elected office. (and yes, we need PR). Put pressure on the decision makers.

50 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned but this same judge refused to send a police officer who had carried out numerous sexual offences in public office to jail.  The guy was jailed after the leniency of the sentence was appealed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-68800852

57 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

On the first, it wasn't a gotcha question. I just wanted to know what the consensus here is. 

On the second, I would suggest something that actually brings people on to your side rather than pissing off masses. Ultimately these folk should stand for elected office. (and yes, we need PR). Put pressure on the decision makers.

Specifically what though? When you asked on here what sentence they thought was fair and appropriate you challenged them not to just say "not that", but you've kinda answered mine in that way by offering no real solution. Not having a go, just reflecting.

Getting elected for office is a huge long process that requires quite a bit of money and time. Climate change is a huge emergency that requires urgent attention.