Moldova v Scotland

Sugar_Army

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

They have a bunch of Moldovan guys on the bench but that's only to meet UEFA's homegrown quotas. The sub keeper is the only one in the Moldova squad.

Maxim Cojocaru. So is this guy and I think he played a few minutes against Inter Milan. The Moldovan National Team hasn't been updated on wikipedia since Octobers game if that's where you were looking. The original Moldovan squad is here, but it's out of date with a few call offs.

https://fmf.md/noutate/4123/lotul-nationalei-pentru-ultimele-meciuri-din-preliminariile-campionatului-mondial-2022 

8 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

It's exactly what I've done and done it days ago,where as all you want to do is pick holes in the logic

And can't come up with a better alternative I'm the one taking the pelters 

All cool though when others put Armstrong starting up front in there team,and mad stuff like that they get a pass though 

Awfy sensitive for a guy who proclaims he doesn't care what anyone else thinks. 

I happen to think there is far more joy to be had playing Armstrong in an attacking berth, as one off the striker or one of two getting up to support the striker, than in putting McLean in as a makeshift CF, but that's just me. 

Armostrong and Adams ought to link very well together, being club teammates who link together well in that side, and Armstrong seems fairly well suited to an attacking midfielder role. Kenny McLean's strengths, such as they are, don't really scream striker to me, but hey ho. Maybe I'm just mad. 

Suppose McLean is a better shout for hitting penalties than Dykes. That's about the size of it, though. 

12 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Awfy sensitive for a guy who proclaims he doesn't care what anyone else thinks. 

I happen to think there is far more joy to be had playing Armstrong in an attacking berth, as one off the striker or one of two getting up to support the striker, than in putting McLean in as a makeshift CF, but that's just me. 

Armostrong and Adams ought to link very well together, being club teammates who link together well in that side, and Armstrong seems fairly well suited to an attacking midfielder role. Kenny McLean's strengths, such as they are, don't really scream striker to me, but hey ho. Maybe I'm just mad. 

Suppose McLean is a better shout for hitting penalties than Dykes. That's about the size of it, though. 

Armstrong been playing wide right for Southampton for years,can't remember the last time that I've watched him in a central attacking midfielder role 

Obviously the if the system with two up is working the gaffer wouldn't want to tinker with it shouts completely went over your head

It's cool fella it's all good your entitled to your opinion same as I'm entitled to mines 

Armstrong only had 4 games all season as well

Scotland get up the park a lot with the long ball they would hit McLean up there with it they same way they would hit Dykes if he could play great option to have great outball stretching the game tiring out the opposition 

Edited by General dissaray

10 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Armstrong been playing wide right for Southampton for years,can't remember the last time that I've watched him in a central attacking midfielder role 

Obviously the if the system with two up is working the gaffer wouldn't want to tinker with it shouts completely went over your head

It's cool fella it's all good your entitled to your opinion same as I'm entitled to mines 

Armstrong only had 4 games all season as well

Scotland get up the park a lot with the long ball they would hit McLean up there with it they same way they would hit Dykes if he could play great option to have great outball stretching the game tiring out the opposition 

Yes, Armstrong doesn't usually play as an attacking midfielder, but at the end of this very same post you are advocating Kenny McLean as a striker

I very much doubt Clarke will deviate, even if there was a hint or two from him and from Carver that they might be tweaking something or somethings about the system, but what some people on this thread think they might do and what they think Clarke will do are two very different things. 

As for the suggestion Scotland would be able to go long to Kenny McLean in the same way they would to Lyndon Dykes gives the Mayor of Norwich credit for an hitherto undiscovered level of hold-up play. 

You're not even trying to argue it as an 'in case of emergency' option anymore, you're actively saying it would be a 'great option' and that Kenny McLean would be a 'great outball' who would stretch the game. 

That's certainly... something. 

Moldova are a total mess. Sheriff's success is hollowing out the domestic game- players from other clubs aren't often paid by their employers for months on end and so are a wee bitty corrupt. The top league, free to watch on youtube, is a bit of a joke, sadly. The national team was capable of springing a surprise in Chisniaû in the past (Wales were beaten there in the 90s and our 1-1 there in 2004 was the end of Berti Vogts..rightly so). Moldova have no Sergiu Dadu these days, the wee midfielder that gave us a bit of a torrid time in that drawn game.

scotlands-jackie-mcnamara-tackles-moldovas-sergei-dadu-picture-id661193810.jpg.198713abf72ece81891cdbf350cc34e2.jpg

Folk are right to say that the two squad members at Sheriff are on the bench, making up the numbers. Not one Moldovan played in Sherriff's famous 2-1 win over Real Madrid. GK Celeadnic and forward Cojocaru didn't make it onto the field.

The players that could pose a problem or two are striker Nicolaescu, formerly of Vitebsk and now playing in the Slovak league- he is very nippy (scroll to 2'08 to see him score v Dinamo Minsk last season), and a fiery character (sent off against Israel). Vadim Rata (Voluntari) and Ginsari are alright if you brush them up a bit. Goalkeeper Namasco is a haddy & otherwise it's a gubbins squad of players playing for teams in the lower reaches of ex-Sovet leagues (Belarus, Armenia, Azerbaijan).

Put simply if we can't win here then we've no business being at a World Cup finals anyway. Of course, the game is 98% certain to be concentrated eye-bleach and we'll sneak past them with a contested penalty or Namasco wearing his famous crisp packets-coated-in-Fairy-Liquid goalie gloves.

Gutted I can't go, to be honest. Looks such an interesting place.

251322089_Screenshot2021-11-10at12_59_38.thumb.png.b91756ca13eeb2ad6cd6f23f2b67e5a3.png

3 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Yes, Armstrong doesn't usually play as an attacking midfielder, but at the end of this very same post you are advocating Kenny McLean as a striker

I very much doubt Clarke will deviate, even if there was a hint or two from him and from Carver that they might be tweaking something or somethings about the system, but what some people on this thread think they might do and what they think Clarke will do are two very different things. 

As for the suggestion Scotland would be able to go long to Kenny McLean in the same way they would to Lyndon Dykes gives the Mayor of Norwich credit for an hitherto undiscovered level of hold-up play. 

You're not even trying to argue it as an 'in case of emergency' option anymore, you're actively saying it would be a 'great option' and that Kenny McLean would be a 'great outball' who would stretch the game. 

That's certainly... something. 

I mentioned McLean coming on up front if we hook a striker for a striker who has run himself into the ground,and then they other gets injured 

McLean is 6.1 foot tall very physical and strong and actually does hold up play and holds people off him.every game,you obviously haven't been watching him that closely 

And pretty sure his link up play would be exellent as well flick.ons and everything 

We should had a extra forward in the squad anyway and a winger called in as well

Russell 

Dembele 

Would have been happy with we are limited now for making changes 

Steve Clarke said previously they will look to tweak the system from the last time we played Moldova where we had Gilmour sitting with Christie and McGinn in more advanced roles supporting Dykes and Nisbet.

I can’t imagine he will use to the 3-4-1-2 against Moldova. While it an effective strategy against nations such as England and Austria it’s maybe not best suited for Faroe Islands and Moldova and isn’t really in line with hints about tweaking the shape.

Steve Clarke said the gameplan won’t stray too much from tried and tested so I’m still expecting wing backs and three centre backs so I think we will see a 3-4-2-1 something along these lines. Maybe give or take personnel but something like that.

image.png.38371dfe580f8e905aec1b4071bf8b0e.png

4 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Steve Clarke said previously they will look to tweak the system from the last time we played Moldova where we had Gilmour sitting with Christie and McGinn in more advanced roles supporting Dykes and Nisbet.

I can’t imagine he will use to the 3-4-1-2 against Moldova. While it an effective strategy against nations such as England and Austria it’s maybe not best suited for Faroe Islands and Moldova and isn’t really in line with hints about tweaking the shape.

Steve Clarke said the gameplan won’t stray too much from tried and tested so I’m still expecting wing backs and three centre backs so I think we will see a 3-4-2-1 something along these lines. Maybe give or take personnel but something like that.

image.png.38371dfe580f8e905aec1b4071bf8b0e.png

I love a wee tweak

Fraser isn't that good anyway. 

He’s our best attacking player if fully fit. Unfortunately that is rarely the case and when I’ve seen him recently he hasn’t shown his usual blistering pace.

At Bournemouth he seemed to pull out of squads all the time but since Clarke came in he’s been almost ever-present and has spoken about how much he enjoys being part of the squad.

You could almost put 2 and 2 together and say Eddie Howe is the problem, although Fraser would’ve pulled out of the squad before he was even in talks with Newcastle. Strange one.

42 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

ImWe should had a extra forward in the squad anyway and a winger called in as well

Why would we call wingers up to the squad when we play a formation that doesn’t have any wingers in it?

3 hours ago, WeAllDreamOfATeamOfAndyRyans said:

Say we beat Moldova on Friday and lose to the Danes on Monday, how likely is it we would be seeded for the Playoff semi?

Slim-to-zero.

The Moldova game, in all likelihood, will have zero bearing on our playoff seeding.  In any case, it could only have a negative effect.

It only matters for coming second, but it’s irrelevant for seedings.

We need at least a point against Denmark. 

80C7DCB6-4256-462F-B907-586328CD7D7F.jpeg

2 hours ago, nate said:

This is great news, thanks. I knew one of their midfielders was suspended after getting a red against Israel, but those other absentees must surely enhance our chances. Am wondering how many players who played for the Moldovan side that won v Real Madrid are in their squad. Hopefully none!

The Sheriff side is only barely less Moldovan than the Rangers side is Scottish. 

20 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Why would we call wingers up to the squad when we play a formation that doesn’t have any wingers in it?

Cos Dembele also plays up front,we could change the shape to if it isn't working its what good managers do

Christie and Fraser are more wingers than forwards why would they be called up in a game they can't feature in is probably the real question you should be asking

When there are plenty off other options available that might turn a bitty game

Put this in the terrible journalism thread but feel it needs highlighting here too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59231595

From the bottom of the article, "Should both Scotland and Austria reach the play-offs, the Scots would be seeded in the semi-final draw, but the Austrians would not be."

Absolute nonsense and suggests we'll be seeded when we would still likely need a result against Denmark. Who wrote this, Willie Miller?

22 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Cos Dembele also plays up front,we could change the shape to if it isn't working its what good managers do

Christie and Fraser are more wingers than forwards why would they be called up in a game they can't feature in is probably the real question you should be asking

When there are plenty off other options available that might turn a bitty game

If Dembele can play up front then he would be getting called up to be a striker not a winger. It’s pointless calling up wingers if we aren’t going to use a formation that would use them.

Christie and Fraser have been called up for the Denmark game, obviously. Christie can play in behind the strikers and in centre midfield and Fraser can play at wing back and also behind the striker.

Slim-to-zero.
The Moldova game, in all likelihood, will have zero bearing on our playoff seeding.  In any case, it could only have a negative effect.
It only matters for coming second, but it’s irrelevant for seedings.
We need at least a point against Denmark. 

80C7DCB6-4256-462F-B907-586328CD7D7F.jpeg.9d3d867ec760f81d7eccfaac69d92948.jpeg

Get a point against the Danes at hampden it is then!