Germany and the Nazis

Sortmeout

31 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

He started life as a painter/decorator.
#PrayforShandonPar.

It has been suggested that the person who blocked his admission into art school was ultimately responsible for 56 million dead.

Bit harsh I think.

6 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:
8 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:
How did you get their attention?

Normally, bricking the windaes of Jewish owned businesses will raise the eyebrows right arms of the locals.

It really depends on who you’re speaking to. We had friends over from Munich who were properly shocked when they overheard someone talking about Nazis (not towards them but in conversation) and couldn’t believe it would be so openly discussed, but then we visited them in Munich and one of their flat mates was constantly pointing out different Nazi places or things. 

It really depends on who you’re speaking to. We had friends over from Munich who were properly shocked when they overheard someone talking about Nazis (not towards them but in conversation) and couldn’t believe it would be so openly discussed, but then we visited them in Munich and one of their flat mates was constantly pointing out different Nazi places or things. 
^^^^^This post needs Fawlty Towers 'Germans' clip added.
Sofort.!!!!!!

• Sortmeout changed the title to Germany and the Nazis
17 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

It has been suggested that the person who blocked his admission into art school was ultimately responsible for 56 million dead.

Bit harsh I think.

My daughter is looking to get into art school. Can’t see her taking rejection very well should they knock her back. 

36 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

I think every country including Germany have a healthy interest in most historical issues, including WW2 and the Nazis. The exception is the UK, perhaps England but also certain factions of Scotland who remain absolutely obsessed with anything to do with WW2 and Hitler. 

Aye I supppse that includes me. I’m forever watching WW2 documentaries and the likes.

So is that mostly a British thing then? 

I worked with a guy who was German, for about 4 years and this conversation did come up.  he was about 20 years younger than me so born early 90's.

He said that they were taught about it in school, but more in a way that they were getting the blame for it even then.  Was also taken to some camps, again getting put on a guilt trip, even though it happened 50 years before they were born.

As for here, they don't have a clue what  happened in WW2, it's been erased from their history.  Few years ago they had a Nazi march in Chiang Mai, all innocent stuff, as it was one of the schools that had the kids all dressed up.

h_270,w_480110928074712-thailand-nazi-parade.jpg

You can buy the full Nazi uniforms in Bangkok markets.

Edited by SlipperyP

4 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

I work with a guy who was German for about 4 years and this conversation did come up.  he was about 20 years younger than me so born early 90's.

He said that they were taught about it in school, but more in a way that they were getting the blame for it even then.  Was also taken to some camps, again getting put on a guilt trip, even though it happened 50 years before they were born.

As for here, they don't have a clue what  happened in WW2, it's been erased from their history.  Few years ago they had a Nazi march in Chiang Mai, all innocent stuff, as it was one of the schools that had the kids all dressed up.

h_270,w_480110928074712-thailand-nazi-parade.jpg

You can buy the full Nazi uniforms in Bangkok markets.

Thailand was on the same side as Japan but that is seldom mentioned.

IIRC in Japan they were taught that there was a war and then it ended.  No mention of atrocities.

2 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

IIRC in Japan they were taught that there was a war and then it ended.  No mention of atrocities.

Only Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

11 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I lived in Germany in the late 90s.

I had German friends and they never mentioned the Nazis. I think that period of German history is regarded with a fair bit of shame and regret.

Folk here don't go about talking about the Bengal Famine or the Mau Mau rebellion either. 

4 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Far more Thais died building the Burmah railway than POWs I believe.