Barins vs Sons

6 hours ago, unused sub said:

Surely every goal scored in a football match could have been avoided at various points in play before the goal.

Also yeah if The Sons took all their clear cut chances they would have scored 4 but likewise if we took ours we would have scored 9, its all ifs ands and buts. 

That is technically true if you are being really awkward. The point I am making is that basic errors and very amateur general play cost us 6 times yesterday. If we just cut out the continuous silly mistakes this season then we would have conceded a small fraction of the goals we have.

Our goals against highlights reel would make for hilarious viewing this season.

4 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

Paton is rapidly becoming the new Hutton for some of our fans

I agree with this point but disagree that he should be singled out. I expected way more of him and thought he was one of the poorest players on the park for us last week's vs Airdrie. For the "ball playing midfielder" his touch and passing was absolutely terrible. 

But overall, he hasn't been any worse than Carswell - who seems to avoid anywhere near the same level of criticism most of the time, Geggan - who has been much worse at times or anyone else who has played in that position.

Edited by squeezebox-son

14 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

I agree with this point but disagree that he should be singled out. I expected way more of him and thought he was one of the poorest players on the park for us last week's vs Airdrie. For the "ball playing midfielder" his touch and passing was absolutely terrible. 

But overall, he hasn't been any worse than Carswell - who seems to avoid anywhere near the same level of criticism most of the time, Geggan - who has been much worse at times or anyone else who has played in that position.

That's what I meant. He is starting to be singled out in the same way that Hutton was even although there are others who are worse or as bad

18 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Wasn't there and have only seen the highlights, however, the two goals that you did get were extremely fortuitous so, unless you've missed two other sitters that weren't on the telly then I would say that you should have scored at least two, not four.

They absolutely did miss two really good chances, and for me, there was little attempt by either Williamson or McCann to stop crosses coming into the box, and on another day……blah blah blah.

You can see by some of the body language after we conceded, it was all just heads down and walk away. You won’t often see a side 4-0 up concede a goal, and then collectively turn into a bag of nerves.

Sinclair was for me, the one steadying influence at the back, but he was new, and couldn’t really be expected to read what McKay was about to do….nobody can.

The root of their penalty was a bit of bad decision making by Williamson (I think). Just head the ball out for a throw in near enough 40 yards up the pitch, but no, he tried to keep it in play, and simply gave the ball away, and moments later, the ref awards the penalty, but no-one knows why. I suspect the ref might not know either.

2 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

They absolutely did miss two really good chances, and for me, there was little attempt by either Williamson or McCann to stop crosses coming into the box, and on another day……blah blah blah.

You can see by some of the body language after we conceded, it was all just heads down and walk away. You won’t often see a side 4-0 up concede a goal, and then collectively turn into a bag of nerves.

Sinclair was for me, the one steadying influence at the back, but he was new, and couldn’t really be expected to read what McKay was about to do….nobody can.

The root of their penalty was a bit of bad decision making by Williamson (I think). Just head the ball out for a throw in near enough 40 yards up the pitch, but no, he tried to keep it in play, and simply gave the ball away, and moments later, the ref awards the penalty, but no-one knows why. I suspect the ref might not know either.

The word after the game was that it was for handball, and it might hit the Falkirk defender (Hall?) on the hand from watching the highlights. But I'm not sure it was deliberate, in an unnatural position or all the usual caveats. I was very surprised to see it given. If it's 1-1/0-0 or whatever then I don't think the referee gives that.

23 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

Paton is rapidly becoming the new Hutton for some of our fans

Aye, the less astute ones.  Paul Paton arrived at Dumbarton after a very decent career spanning a range of clubs and Divisions and suddenly that all goes to shit here - really ?  I've watched him closely in the games he's played for us and his reading of the game is excellent as is his percentage of passes finding a team-mate.  I'm old enough to remember the late Charlie Gallagher being sherricked after joining us from Celtic by a section of the Boghead support due to his lack of pace, before the penny finally dropped that we had signed a great midfield footballer.  This is reminiscent.

3 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

The word after the game was that it was for handball, and it might hit the Falkirk defender (Hall?) on the hand from watching the highlights. But I'm not sure it was deliberate, in an unnatural position or all the usual caveats. I was very surprised to see it given. If it's 1-1/0-0 or whatever then I don't think the referee gives that.

Having watched it back I'm not convinced it hits anyone's arm, probably Hall's thigh. Wilson is only about a yard away and doesn't claim for it 

Fair play to Gary Miller though, not content with giving away one goal he decides to boot the ball out from underneath McCann when he'd already fallen on top of it. If he doesn't do that we either get the foul or Dumbarton get a freekick outside the box for obstruction.

I agree that it was probably given re the stage in the game but I still thought it was harsh considering the ref had already blocked McGuffie's net-bound shot in the first half :lol:

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Aye, the less astute ones.  Paul Paton arrived at Dumbarton after a very decent career spanning a range of clubs and Divisions and suddenly that all goes to shit here - really ?  I've watched him closely in the games he's played for us and his reading of the game is excellent as is his percentage of passes finding a team-mate.  I'm old enough to remember the late Charlie Gallagher being sherricked after joining us from Celtic by a section of the Boghead support due to his lack of pace, before the penny finally dropped that we had signed a great midfield footballer.  This is reminiscent.

He was pretty shit for us in the main too mind you although he did improve a little bit as time went by from horrendous to just poor.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Clearly as I was the one that criticised his part in our goals conceded this was aimed at me. Everyone has their opinions, you have yours, I have mine, others have theirs. We won't always agree as thats football. Yeah he has had a decent career and has done well for himself but forgive me for thinking he has come here for an 'easy' pay day. You say his reading of the game is good. Watch back the highlights from Saturday, specifically him at our goals,  he's out of position constantly, same as last week against Airdrie. Hes supposed supposed be offering 'protection' to our back 4! He looks unfit and overweight so forgive me for saying he's looking for an easy time, for me he's not showing the professionalism or desire required as an experienced ex pro. Is he the only one, absolutely not but we should be expecting a lot more from guys like him. And yes I could include Carswell (I did mention him in a previous post as he's in the same position) geggan, buchanan, Boyle etc in that too. As I said its an opinion and to me Paton is one that stands out more than most. I watch a lot of football from Amateur level, WOS and SPFL. IMO Paton would struggle to get into some of thr top amateur and WOS teams!

I'm not old enough to remember Charlie Gallagher, i take your word for it that he was a top player but Paul Paton is certainly not a 'great midfielder'.

On 09/01/2022 at 12:14, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

It's not often I say this but to be fair to the officials it looks like Ramsbottom's arm is just inside the box when he makes the save. Either way, Morrison should score and missed another two easy chances as well (one not included in the highlights for some reason).

We'll have to be more clinical going forward as the teams above us aren't going to be offering up chances for fun, especially if we continue to concede such hilarious goals ourselves.

1114215130_ScreenShot2022-01-09at12_06_57.thumb.png.eab86c6c9bf3f95c1e1e2fb98b0b9761.png

Impossible to tell from that frozen pic as there's no perspective of depth from that angle.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Impossible to tell from that frozen pic as there's no perspective of depth from that angle.

Aye, if you run the highlights again though and freeze at the right time you'll see that his hand is just inside the box.

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He was pretty shit for us in the main too mind you although he did improve a little bit as time went by from horrendous to just poor.

I seem to remember he was struggling with undiagnosed diabetes early in his spell with us.

13 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Aye, if you run the highlights again though and freeze at the right time you'll see that his hand is just inside the box.

Yeah but as his hand and foot are off the ground it's difficult  to tell with the perspective from that angle. Different if they are on the ground and then you can accurately judge. Really need a view from the side.

12 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I seem to remember he was struggling with undiagnosed diabetes early in his spell with us.

Aye he was slightly less poor once it had been diagnosed. Still relegation fodder though.

18 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

Clearly as I was the one that criticised his part in our goals conceded this was aimed at me. Everyone has their opinions, you have yours, I have mine, others have theirs. We won't always agree as thats football. Yeah he has had a decent career and has done well for himself but forgive me for thinking he has come here for an 'easy' pay day. You say his reading of the game is good. Watch back the highlights from Saturday, specifically him at our goals,  he's out of position constantly, same as last week against Airdrie. Hes supposed supposed be offering 'protection' to our back 4! He looks unfit and overweight so forgive me for saying he's looking for an easy time, for me he's not showing the professionalism or desire required as an experienced ex pro. Is he the only one, absolutely not but we should be expecting a lot more from guys like him. And yes I could include Carswell (I did mention him in a previous post as he's in the same position) geggan, buchanan, Boyle etc in that too. As I said its an opinion and to me Paton is one that stands out more than most. I watch a lot of football from Amateur level, WOS and SPFL. IMO Paton would struggle to get into some of thr top amateur and WOS teams!

I'm not old enough to remember Charlie Gallagher, i take your word for it that he was a top player but Paul Paton is certainly not a 'great midfielder'.

If he was out of position ( and I'll take your word for it as I'm certainly not watching it again) that's likely because he wouldn't be anticipating our defence giving the ball away in such an easy fashion.

35 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

If he was out of position ( and I'll take your word for it as I'm certainly not watching it again) that's likely because he wouldn't be anticipating our defence giving the ball away in such an easy fashion.

Need to be honest and admit I took the time to watch the highlights again; imo Patons one of the few who dont make a mistake to give up a chance at goal.  McLean, Lynch and Orsi all have poor touches/passes that lead to goals.

2 hours ago, sonsanorak said:

Need to be honest and admit I took the time to watch the highlights again; imo Patons one of the few who dont make a mistake to give up a chance at goal.  McLean, Lynch and Orsi all have poor touches/passes that lead to goals.

Wasn't Pigniatello responsible for one (maybe the third, I can't face watching it back again)?

3 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

Wasn't Pigniatello responsible for one (maybe the third, I can't face watching it back again)?

Aye. Carlo gave the ball straight to Dowds for the third. He then wandered, unchallenged, from the half way line and stuck it in the bottom corner.