The Thick of It

Moonhound17

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I binged the whole thing this weekend.  Agree about Hugh and Glenn, superb writing and acting. Glenn's look at Hugh at the enquiry when he starts talking about his sons performance in the school play is brilliant.

Edit - Series 3 is just the Malcolm Tucker Show and to see how many swears they can fit into each episode (although I think the Eastbourne episode is brilliant).  Series 4 picks up again with the back and forth episodes, the addition of Adam and Fergus was a good idea IMO.

Yeah, I'm up to S3 on my iPlayer rewatch now and would agree with all of that. The dialogue was more subtle with Hugh there, and they became more dependent on Malcolm's bluster for the laughs after Hugh's departure. So much of what I enjoy most about the early work is the little exchanges between Hugh, Glenn, Ollie, Terri and Robyn. Saying that, the way they did S3 and S4 probably appeals to a broader audience than S1 and S2.

Since they were always trying to mirror real people and events to some extent (everything about "Tom", even though we never see him, is clearly a reflection of Gordon Brown), I think they might have been thrown off a bit by David Miliband (Dan Miller) not becoming Labour leader in 2010. Nicola ending up as leader in S4 didn't really work for me based on what came before, but I'm probably analysing it a bit too much. 

7 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Yeah, I'm up to S3 on my iPlayer rewatch now and would agree with all of that. The dialogue was more subtle with Hugh there, and they became more dependent on Malcolm's bluster for the laughs after Hugh's departure. So much of what I enjoy most about the early work is the little exchanges between Hugh, Glenn, Ollie, Terri and Robyn. Saying that, the way they did S3 and S4 probably appeals to a broader audience than S1 and S2.

Since they were always trying to mirror real people and events to some extent (everything about "Tom", even though we never see him, is clearly a reflection of Gordon Brown), I think they might have been thrown off a bit by David Miliband (Dan Miller) not becoming Labour leader in 2010. Nicola ending up as leader in S4 didn't really work for me based on what came before, but I'm probably analysing it a bit too much. 

I wasn't a fan of the Nicola Murray character in general.  I realise S3 was Nicola v Malcolm but they could've easily made the S4 'Labour' episodes Dan v Malcolm, which would've been a whole different dynamic.

On 03/07/2023 at 08:55, DrewDon said:

On 03/07/2023 at 09:04, TheScarf said:

I wasn't a fan of the Nicola Murray character in general.  I realise S3 was Nicola v Malcolm but they could've easily made the S4 'Labour' episodes Dan v Malcolm, which would've been a whole different dynamic.

Given by S3 it had things like a budget and an audience it would be interesting to see how it would have been different if Chris Langham hadn't been given the boot.

Interesting that the most competent and most likeable politician in the show is a Tory. Could also say that he has the worst advisors as well, Phil is “simple” and Emma “a complete bitch”. Stuart is just… Stuart, can’t really think of any way other way of describing him. 

The Specials are excellent tv, can just imagine similar scenes to them running about Richmond Terrace all night during the Tories catastrofucks of the recent years