Celtic V Dundee Utd

11 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

I was already a Celtic fan before I moved here, thanks to family, mother’s side. Just had no clue of Scottish football and the hatred some had towards me because of a football team. 

Are you talking about football “hatred”from opposing fans or are you referring to this discussion?

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

What an utterly bizarre assumption.

The only thing bizarre in here is people thinking they can pass judgment on who someone chooses to support. It is no ones business and they shouldn't ever feel the need to justify or explain it.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

It's genuinely dispiriting.

I get it. Was an eye opener for me, was in a house near the Homebase retail park on Wednesday and the neighbour on one side had Celtic flags in the window, the kid in the house I was in had a Rangers top on and the guy on the other side had a Rangers top on, 3 for 3. 

2 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

I get it. Was an eye opener for me, was in a house near the Homebase retail park on Wednesday and the neighbour on one side had Celtic flags in the window, the kid in the house I was in had a Rangers top on and the guy on the other side had a Rangers top on, 3 for 3. 

That's not a remotely untypical snapshot.

You were about half a mile from Palmerston at the time.

47 minutes ago, Luddite said:

Dunno. Didn’t notice that I had. Someone else pointed out that I had been quoting myself instead of others by accident too.

I don’t spend time on social media, kinda new to me. Does it bother you?  Does that extra half second scrolling down an extra reply get under your skin?

I am desperately sorry for not typing on my phone the way you would prefer 😂

Just curious/nosey.

7 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

So just like you then? 

Interesting 

No, not really.  I genuinely don't think I feel any need to justify who I support, yet I often see OF fans tying themselves in knots to do so.

I think they recognise that they've taken a sort of cheap option.

49 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

And what if he did? Whose business is it? 

Where do we draw a line at trying to control peoples decisions on what they want to to do? Do we start policing peoples choices as to what degrees they take, jobs they do, how they dress based on where they are located geographically? 

Do we start telling our kids to stop studying or trying to become doctors as they may become more successful than their friends?

No of course we don't so what gives us the right to tell people who they can and can't support? 

I thought we were just expressing opinions on an Internet forum mate. It’s just words on a screen

1 hour ago, Jinky67 said:

Bigotry is a problem that goes way beyond football. I don't live local to Glasgow anymore, i'm also mixed race and i have been called a black ****** b whilst walking from my house to get the bus to a match by someone wearing the colours of a Lanarkshire based team. 

as @AJF said it is a very lazy argument.

And as for me having a chat with my child about following my choices isn't that exactly the brainwashing you are so against? On one hand you want a child to make their own choices except if that choice is to support Rangers or Celtic....thats just a bit hypocritical

I already stated that people not supporting OF isn’t going to stop bigotry.

I think there is a middle grounded between brainwashing a child and merely discussing important social issues with them.  Where is that line? Who can say, after all one man’s this is another man’s that.

Also, it was the other fella who made the point about not influencing kids choice in team at all. I did agree on his brainwashing point, but amended my response to emphasize I meant in regards to any “extra” stuff that came with it.  I then made the point I am actually all for family influencing their kids in continuing their sense of community from their local football team.

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

That's funny your debate is the rage against the machine with the name you choose yet here you are using a machine to get your point across.

By the way, before telling you I was using a phone, how in the f**k did you think I was posting responses to an Internet forum, Royal Mail?

11 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No, not really.  I genuinely don't think I feel any need to justify who I support, yet I often see OF fans tying themselves in knots to do so.

I think they recognise that they've taken a sort of cheap option.

But do feel they need to have others justify it or to reserve the right to criticise.

Maybe that's the difference between us is that i couldn't care less who you support and why. I assume you have your reasons to do that whether that be it's your local team, dad's team, used to live in the area, moved to the area or just think the badge is cool. Whatever that reason is it's yours and that's cool. I genuinely don't understand why people just don't live and let live

2 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

But do feel they need to have others justify it or to reserve the right to criticise.

Maybe that's the difference between us is that i couldn't care less who you support and why. I assume you have your reasons to do that whether that be it's your local team, dad's team, used to live in the area, moved to the area or just think the badge is cool. Whatever that reason is it's yours and that's cool. I genuinely don't understand why people just don't live and let live

It's because the imbalance is so wild.

You can afford to not care who I support.  It's not that way round for diddy fans. 

1 hour ago, Jinky67 said:

I will assume then that every wedding you go to you ask every man in a kilt where he was born so you can decide (from a distance) if you should criticise? 

Mate, you seem like a pretty sharp guy, you have to know that kilts and tartan are an absolute nonsense of a thing of no consequence whatsoever, invented by an Englishman, and promoted to impress a visiting English King. 

Anytime I’ve seen someone wearing one I just assume they have purchased a product and are enjoying the feeling of being  “Scottish” / “More Scottish Than Normal” for a day.

Edited by Luddite

52 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

The only thing bizarre in here is people thinking they can pass judgment on who someone chooses to support. It is no ones business and they shouldn't ever feel the need to justify or explain it.

We’re all passing judgement on everything all the time. You’ve just made a judgement right there.

40 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

I get your distain tbh, I work in DG1/2 and they are everywhere. 

Can you clarify mate. Not being a snarky dick,  I’m genuinely interested in what your observation is but I’m not following completely. Cheers