Winter Olympics Beijing 2022

Bully Wee Villa

By the way Canada winning probably isn’t a bad thing for us. We lost to them which will affect our H2H ranking in the tiebreaker. Probably easier to get through a straight TB with Japan or Sweden for one place rather than a tricky one involving Canada for two places. 

16 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Nah Canada losing to China is definitely a good thing - China are not in the running - currently 8-8 after youve guessed it 8 ends.  Japan lead USA 9-7, Sweden now ahead  and Korea tied with Denmark 6-6

Canada losing is bad news I think.

2 way tiebreaker for one spot at 5-4 GB and Japan - GB wins

3 way tiebreaker for two spots at 5-4 GB, Japan and Canada - I think we miss out

Japan beat USA, which is really bad news. Them losing to Switzerland is a must. 

32 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Nah Canada losing to China is definitely a good thing - China are not in the running - currently 8-8 after youve guessed it 8 ends.  Japan lead USA 9-7, Sweden now ahead  and Korea tied with Denmark 6-6

Sorry I stand corrected. Canada is 4-3 not 5-2, so we could actually beat them by a game if they somehow get stolen by China in the EE and lose to lowly Denmark. 

Valieva's grandpa must have a very dodgy ticker - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/60399339

"Kamila Valieva's anti-doping sample showed traces of three drugs that can be used to treat heart conditions, according to a New York Times report.

The 15-year-old Russian figure skater is being allowed to compete at Beijing 2022 despite testing positive for banned angina drug trimetazidine.

The report said it also showed hyproxen and L-Carnitine, which are not banned.

The combination of substances prompted "a lot of red flags", United States anti-doping chief Travis Tygart said.

"Those are three substances that are all used for increasing performance," he told BBC sports editor Dan Roan on the Sports Desk Podcast, explaining they can increase endurance and reduce fatigue."

Or she could be yet another Russian athlete who has been caught abusing heart drugs....

Edited by Bishop Briggs

18 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I think we need a win and any 2 of Canada lose to Denmark, Japan lose to Switzerland and Korea lose to Sweden. The last two are solid possibilities as Switzerland and Sweden are competing to top the RR. 

This is the table for all of the permutations, still looks like a tall order with the lack of available options for GB. Canada are the worst in DSC apparently so those scenarios are in our favour.

image.thumb.png.17e9b364f1b5297ce913d2daa71b327a.png

Looking at that, the last scenario listed is by far the most likely route IMO for GB to progress. They’re second last in DSC but only a wee bit behind Japan so they need to have a good draw shot tomorrow and give themselves a chance to finish above both in that table.

3 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

This is the table for all of the permutations, still looks like a tall order with the lack of available options for GB. Canada are the worst in DSC apparently so those scenarios are in our favour.

image.thumb.png.17e9b364f1b5297ce913d2daa71b327a.png

b*****d IOC. I just spend about 25 minutes making an excel sheet to do exactly this and they've pre-empted me.

Assuming Canada stay bottom of the draw shot challenge:

1. Japan through with a win or either Korea/GB lose.

2. Canada through with a win AND either Japan win, or BOTH Korea/GB lose, or BOTH Korea/GB win. They're likely out if Japan lose and only one of KOR/GB wins.

3. Korea through with a win and either Canada or Japan lose.

4. GB through with a win and any two of Canada/Korea/Japan lose.

5. China through if all three of Canada/Korea/GB lose (China have already finished 4-5)

These probabilities are based on every game being 50-50 but I'll run a proper simulation model shortly

image.png.adbd0cec0dafc997d52f3c01933f10c7.png

And if you ever find yourself losing hope, Saturday will be twenty years to the day since Rhona Martin’s rink were in a right mess after losing their last two round robin games, fell to 5-4 and then had to win two tiebreaker games to even make the SF. They went ahead and won both, then beat top seeded Canada in the semi final and Switzerland in the final. Three of the four teams they beat in the knockout round had beaten us in the RR.