Favorite Premiership scoreline that didn't include your team or your main rivals? (picture required)

Hi @craigkillieIn the spirit of being truly boring, I've decided to investigate the extremely important issue of injury time in 1997-98 to see how well-founded the Bobby Tait's Masonic Watch memory is.

I've just chosen a random selection of games from 97/98 to check the second half injury time. Annoyingly, a few games I've found are copies that don't have the running clock.

Here's the league games I clicked on at random and that had a clock.

Leeds v West Ham, November 97 - 1 minutes 31 seconds

Newcastle v Liverpool, December 97 - 50 seconds

Celtic v Rangers, January 98 - 1 minute 27 seconds

St Johnstone v Rangers, January 98 - I min 26 seconds

Derby v Leeds, March 98 - 43 seconds

So, it is my considered view that Bobby Tait's watch was a mason.

If anybody else on this website considers themselves a boring b*****d, I've just set the new standard. Come at me.

All joking aside, it is interesting that the standardising of injury time with subs, goals etc does seem to have lengthened games.

Edited by VincentGuerin

3 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Hi @craigkillieIn the spirit of being truly boring, I've decided to investigate the extremely important issue of injury time in 1997-98 to see how well-founded the Bobby Tait's Masonic Watch memory is.

I've just chosen a random selection of games from 97/98 to check the second half injury time. Annoyingly, a few games I've found are copies that don't have the running clock.

Here's the league games I clicked on at random and that had a clock.

Leeds v West Ham, November 97 - 1 minutes 31 seconds

Newcastle v Liverpool, December 97 - 50 seconds

Celtic v Rangers, January 98 - 1 minute 27 seconds

St Johnstone v Rangers, January 98 - I min 26 seconds

Derby v Leeds, March 98 - 43 seconds

So, it is my considered view that Bobby Tait's watch was a mason.

If anybody else on this website considers themselves a boring b*****d, I've just set the new standard. Come at me.

All joking aside, it is interesting that the standardising of injury time with subs, goals etc does seem to have lengthened games.

What about the Cup Final from that season, chief? Think it was officially five minutes, but it felt like about ten.

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

I believe it was about six months.

Big games like cup finals did tend to be different.

Just checked. 98 cup final was four and a half minutes.

Now, it may have been because I was a shambling wreck by the time the whistle blew, but that was never four and a half minutes! 

Injury time has become ludicrous in England, you regularly see goals at 90+7, 90+9 pass without great comment, whereas not that long ago you would have needed 2 broken legs and a set of collapsed goalposts for that.

I clearly remember in USA WC94, Scottish referee of some note, Les Mottram, reffed Greece v Nigeria. Nigeria scored in injury time in both halves; 45+2 and 90+4 IIRC. Nobody would blink at that now, but the Greeks were for tearing Les to pieces after the game.

7 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Injury time has become ludicrous in England, you regularly see goals at 90+7, 90+9 pass without great comment, whereas not that long ago you would have needed 2 broken legs and a set of collapsed goalposts for that.

I clearly remember in USA WC94, Scottish referee of some note, Les Mottram, reffed Greece v Nigeria. Nigeria scored in injury time in both halves; 45+2 and 90+4 IIRC. Nobody would blink at that now, but the Greeks were for tearing Les to pieces after the game.

Not like our Les to cause controversy.