Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

Seems like the Russians are pushing hard around Avdiivka, remiscent of the winter offensive attacks on Vuhledar.  Lots of Russian tanks and vehicles being lost, presumably casualties as well.  Despite this there are reports that it's a difficult situation for the Ukrainian units defending in the area and they've had to bring in reserves.

Meanwhile in Washington, the good news is that the supposedly more moderate Republican that didn't have Trump's backing who won a secret ballot to be the nomination for the Speaker of the House of Representatives appears to be gung ho about arming Ukraine. The bad news is that he has also described himself as "David Duke w/o the baggage". 

On 12/10/2023 at 05:55, LongTimeLurker said:

Meanwhile in Washington, the good news is that the supposedly more moderate Republican that didn't have Trump's backing who won a secret ballot to be the nomination for the Speaker of the House of Representatives appears to be gung ho about arming Ukraine. The bad news is that he has also described himself as "David Duke w/o the baggage". 

Scalise pulled out of race for Speaker…House in disarray…aid back up in the air…Putin happy.

Ukraine seems to have hit Berdyansk and Luhansk airfields last night. Potentially the first use of ATACMS by Ukraine and some Russian channels are talking of the biggest loss by the VKS (Russian Air force) in history. Remains to be confirmed.

Russian channel FighterBomber posts about the attack, few details.

https://t.me/fighter_bomber/14410

Key being the helicopter bases in question in Berdyansk and Luhansk are outside conventional HIMARS range, so it likely had to be a new type of missile that the Ukrainians have not been using previously with ATACMS and GLSDB the likely candidates.

Think cluster type ATACMS were what the Americans were said to have found still waiting for disposal and hence not on their inventory:

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Key being the helicopter bases in question in Berdyansk and Luhansk are outside conventional HIMARS range, so it likely had to be a new type of missile that the Ukrainians have not been using previously with ATACMS and GLSDB the likely candidates.

Think cluster type ATACMS were what the Americans were said to have found still waiting for disposal and hence not on their inventory:

I find it a bit concerning that they didn't know how many they had. We're they just parked somewhere and forgotten about.

35 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I assume you are aware that this is 'Murica we're talking about?

It might just be my imagination but I have a scenario in my head.

"Guess what I found in behind that old aircraft hangar? About 10,000 of those big rocket things. I wonder who left them there, they just need painted."

Something that's been rattling round my head on this - when Russia first invaded there were all sorts of sanctions imposed. In particular, great play was made of the fact that they would no longer be able to get parts from Boeing / Airbus / Rolls Royce and (IIRC) you're not allowed to use pattern parts on planes so, in time, the Russian domestic aircraft fleet would be gradually grounded.

But that doesnt seem to have happened; does anyone know why? Black market supplies, or they (say, the Chinese) are manufacturing pattern parts? Something else?

24 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Something that's been rattling round my head on this - when Russia first invaded there were all sorts of sanctions imposed. In particular, great play was made of the fact that they would no longer be able to get parts from Boeing / Airbus / Rolls Royce and (IIRC) you're not allowed to use pattern parts on planes so, in time, the Russian domestic aircraft fleet would be gradually grounded.

But that doesnt seem to have happened; does anyone know why? Black market supplies, or they (say, the Chinese) are manufacturing pattern parts? Something else?

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/how-russia-keeps-its-fleet-western-jets-air-2023-08-23/

Planes out of storage, cannibalising other planes and getting parts from much longer supply chains via countries not abiding by the sanctions? Though there surely must be some stuff or larger things that they can't get so maybe they are extending parts past their usage life as well. 

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I find it a bit concerning that they didn't know how many they had. We're they just parked somewhere and forgotten about.

They had reached the end of their "shelf life" and had been marked out for disposal, the fuel in the rocket motors degrades over time. However, due to budget cuts in the US Military, they get rid of old stock less often and in bigger batches now and these missiles hadn't been destroyed yet. So they had been written off and didn't show in inventory, but they still existed. 

Most of the stuff going to Ukraine has been surplus equipment due to be destroyed anyway. 

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

There’s several ways around the issues here:

1) Minimum equipment list hijinks. Not all equipment on a plane needs to work for it to be safe to fly. Each aircraft ends up in service with a minimum equipment list, often tailored slightly by different airlines. Aeroflot is already known to be running flights with a couple of brake sets disabled, as per the MEL, and that just results in a slightly lengthened runway requirement.

2) Use of non-certified or alternately certified parts. Russian aviation authorities are certifying parts for use within Russia. The aircraft serviced with these parts are not certified internationally, but can be flown within Russia or any countries agreeing to accept this certification…however, doing so can cause international issues with YOUR own aviation assets and system.

3) Cannibalization. You park an aircraft because something you can’t fix has broken or you don’t need it. Parts on that plane are certified and can be transferred to flying aircraft.

4) Third party purchase and transfer. Exactly what it sounds like, sanctions evasion…expensive and unreliable.

5) Use of “certified” parts from unconventional supply channels. Risks getting below spec parts with faked certifications.