Aberdeen's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Aberdeen's next permanent manager?   

268 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

52 minutes ago, Dagdagh said:

Now you're just being pedantic.  Goodwin's deal runs to 2024 Alexander's until 2025.  Goodwin is being touted for this job but Alexander isn't.  You read the same threads and media as the rest of us, are you honestly saying the Goodwin doesn't get linked to nearly everything going? That other teams fans don't fancy him as a replacement for who they've got?

My point is that Alexander doesn't seem to get the same attention.  It could be because Goodwin is the flavour of the month but before the winter break our form was stinking and we went on an eleven game winless 'run'.  It could be because Alexander is seen as an outsider because his playing and coaching career was down south (apart from the national side).  It could even be that Alexander is seen as maintaining a Motherwell side whereas Goodwin is seen as improving a St Mirren side. It's clearly true that Goodwin loves an interview and seems to be liked by sports journalists.

All I'm saying is, last week we were ninth in the league and Motherwell were fourth.  We beat a rank rotten St Jonstone and go up to sixth.  Motherwell are still fourth.  So why is Goodwin a bookie's favourite and Alexander isn't?

I've lurked here for ages and this is a question interesting enough to prompt a first post in about a decade so cheers for that.

I don't know but I'd guess two things:

1) Goodwin has been at St Mirren since summer 2019, approaching three years which is a good stint anyway but with the pandemic seems like a lifetime. There's a sense he's due to move on. Alexander in contrast has had 13 months and while he did a good job salvaging a car crash in the first half of that, with the summer clear out and rebuild it seems like he's hardly got started.

2) Given Goodwin lifted St Mirren from relegation strugglers on their first season back, there's the impression that expectations are different like you say. Goodwin was praised for St Mirren's best season in a while last year, if a Motherwell manager lost two semis to non-OF sides and threw away the top six there'd be folk with pitchforks and burning torches outside FP. Whether that's fair or not a different matter ofc.

But aye, it is curious how some managers just become flavour of the month for whatever reason. FWIW if you assume Goodwin is dreaming of the Celtic job, he must surely know he's got almost no chance of going there straight from St Mirren. Aberdeen at a low ebb has its risks but all in all he'd surely consider it a good in between step.

2 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

but I also wouldn’t rule out Robson

That would be amusing just to see the mental gymnastics of all the "rookie" "b team coach" "not fit for the job"  etc crowd that were slating Glass's résumé.

Regarding Goodwin - I did find it strange when he was waxing lyrical about us after the 4-1 game I think it was, thought he was being overly nice and respectful. Flashing his thigh was my thought at the time.

30 minutes ago, dublin_bud said:

Yes, tell me more about how Aberdeen were a good side approx. 40 years ago

Past history is zero indication of future success, especially when you're looking back that far. Your two stars are a stark reminder of good old days that ain't ever, ever coming back. 

But you enjoy them, the same way you'll be enjoying Jack Ross. 

Please, please try & fit in a few more cliches in to your next post.

Simpleton 😆

3 hours ago, Dagdagh said:

Kinda telling that Graham Alexander's name never comes up in these discussions.  Why do you think that is?

It may be because he is a pretty average manager, and every six weeks or so Motherwell fans want him sacked.

29 minutes ago, red23 said:

imagine coming on to a forum and thinking you are being funny posting that nonsense not just once but about 6 times each as unfunny as the last.

I feel that it should be suggested to him that if he carries on this irrational behaviour he should rename himself boring behaviour.

19 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

It may be because he is a pretty average manager, and every six weeks or so Motherwell fans want him sacked.

We have supporters that want him sacked every week. You’re giving some too much credit.