Scotland squad face March 2022

Craigieboy86

image.png.bcb7ec22299891d13a72a6391f68dbbf.png

Nothing too surprising in terms of game time over the camp after factoring in injuries particularly to Lyndon Dykes, Andrew Robertson and Kenny McLean. I included injury time in the minutes played, which was 5 minutes in each game. I think we were all happy with Craig Gordon in goals last night but it does make you wonder when another goalkeeper will get a chance if not a friendly game.

Edited by 2426255

International friendlies are very rare these days because we (rightly) take the nations league very seriously and we aren’t good enough like England/Germany/Spain that we can treat the qualifiers like half of them are friendlies, so SC doesn’t get that many opportunities to involve younger players. From that regard it’s a tad disappointing to see guys like Gordon, Hanley, McGinn and Tierney playing 100% of the minutes in this meaningless double header 

The next time they pull on a Scotland shirt though will either be at Hampden for a must-win home semi-final playoff against a team that the entire world will want us to lose against, or an away final in Cardiff 90 minutes from the World Cup.  I don't blame him for trying to keep the momentum going as much as possible with the players that will be playing then.

I'm not a football manager by any means, but how much do you actually gain from a player playing for Scotland in a friendly nowadays?  It's not like the olden days where you didn't get too much of an opportunity to see what they can do, but now you've got entire industries built around getting all kinds of stats gathered, and Steve Clarke can likely queue up a million clips of a player if he so wishes.  Do we really need this chucking 30 minutes at a player in amongst 400 other changes to see what he can do?

Edited by forameus

1 hour ago, forameus said:

The next time they pull on a Scotland shirt though will either be at Hampden for a must-win home semi-final playoff against a team that the entire world will want us to lose against, or an away final in Cardiff 90 minutes from the World Cup.  I don't blame him for trying to keep the momentum going as much as possible with the players that will be playing then.

I'm not a football manager by any means, but how much do you actually gain from a player playing for Scotland in a friendly nowadays?  It's not like the olden days where you didn't get too much of an opportunity to see what they can do, but now you've got entire industries built around getting all kinds of stats gathered, and Steve Clarke can likely queue up a million clips of a player if he so wishes.  Do we really need this chucking 30 minutes at a player in amongst 400 other changes to see what he can do?

I think you're mostly right however there is probably something to be said for players to have had either that first go stood for the national anthem in front of a big home crowd or that first run out in a Scotland shirt when they're subbed on to get some of the emotional side dealt with, it means a lot even to those guys orherwise used to the big stage.