Scotland squad face March 2022

Craigieboy86

On 16/03/2022 at 21:54, 2426255 said:

Scott McKenna and David Marshall have both come off injured in the game between Forest and QPR. Both guys had played well, not sure how serious either injury is but I'd say Scott McKenna's looked worse if you want an unqualified opinion.

Scott McKenna is injured and out for over a month.

In the November camp we lost a lot of right sided and central centre back options so John Souttar and Ryan Porteous were logical call ups.

image.png.4016cd116fb4e076e3b8f9348226fe3d.png

Scott McKenna covers the left side and central area. There isn't really any reason to call up Ryan Porteous or John Souttar unless they can cover the left hand side. We have good cover on the right hand side and the centre is okay.

image.png.01bc37fdfd5f6e64a5c15912c6b6ec5a.png

I'd be surprised if we didn't see a centre back who is comfortable playing on the left. A left footer would be ideal.

Stephen Kingsley is someone who might be a logical choice or Josh Doig who I believe has been playing on the left of a back three with Hibernian in the last few weeks if you're looking for someone who could grow into the role in the longer term.

I can't really think of too many other possibilities. We don't really have great depth in that area.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Could Taylor slide into the back 3? 

It's possible that Greg Taylor, Aaron Hickey or Andy Robertson could be seen as cover. Andy Robertson plays significant minutes as the left centre back when he swaps with Kieran Tierney during Scotland matches and so in the case of an emergency any of the left wing backs could maybe be an option.

A quick search for a left footed defender between 18 and 35 eligible to play for Scotland and over 175 cm revealed this list of players:

image.thumb.png.39e98ad0c6295011ac70460420f84486.png

* Aaron Hickey is listed as two footed and so doesn't show on this list.

Edited by 2426255

39 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

It's possible that Greg Taylor, Aaron Hickey or Andy Robertson could be seen as cover. Andy Robertson plays significant minutes as the left centre back when he swaps with Kieran Tierney during Scotland matches and so in the case of an emergency any of the left wing backs could maybe be an option.

A quick search for a left footed defender between 18 and 35 eligible to play for Scotland and over 175 cm revealed this list of players:

Murray Wallace at Millwall still 29

14 hours ago, 2426255 said:

In the November camp we lost a lot of right sided and central centre back options so John Souttar and Ryan Porteous were logical call ups.

Scott McKenna covers the left side and central area. There isn't really any reason to call up Ryan Porteous or John Souttar unless they can cover the left hand side. We have good cover on the right hand side and the centre is okay.

I'd be surprised if we didn't see a centre back who is comfortable playing on the left. A left footer would be ideal.

Stephen Kingsley is someone who might be a logical choice or Josh Doig who I believe has been playing on the left of a back three with Hibernian in the last few weeks if you're looking for someone who could grow into the role in the longer term.

I can't really think of too many other possibilities. We don't really have great depth in that area.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

* Aaron Hickey is listed as two footed and so doesn't show on this list.

That post makes a fair amount of sense. I'd say Clarke won't call up American based players at such short notice just fir a friendly which would rule out Stuart Findlay, Danny Wilson or Barry Douglas. Liam Cooper was on the bench I think yesterday - maybe Clarke will change his mind with that and get him back in the squad.

20 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Souttar is injured anyway, but he's better than all the players you're listing him as cover for

11 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Souttar is injured anyway, but he's better than all the players you're listing him as cover for

I listed John Souttar as being cover for Grant Hanley and possibly Scott McTominay, which he was since he was only called up after the initial squad announcement. Are you saying John Souttar is a better player than those two?

Edited by 2426255

56 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

10th in the English championship and played most of the games he is a much better defender than Stephen Kingsley who is only up here cos nobody down south in that league want him anymore 

Please stop this. You’ve likely never seen him kick a ball.